Forums are back in action! ×

"If I could ask for one favor from the Rebellion, it would be..."

catspaw

You'll also need to take the GRE and do some shadowing (those are both on my list for this summer!)

I took the GRE last year, and I highly recommend studying! Best thing I did was get a book with multiple practice tests and thorough explanations of the types of questions that will be asked. This made a big difference for me, particularly for the math portion.

Well, I don't think it is right for just you and me to have the numbers, so here you go everybody...

05 09 15 18 32 34

If this actually hits, everybody that used this number, send me 2% of your net winnings. That isn't too much to ask for, is it?

I might actually play these, just for fun :)

It's typically a doctoral program (there are a few masters programs left, but not many).

The core prereqs are a year of chem, a year of physics, a year of anatomy & physiology, and a semester of statistics. Most programs will also require some psych and general bio; a few require exercise physiology. There are a few other wacky ones depending on where you want to apply.

You'll also need to take the GRE and do some shadowing (those are both on my list for this summer!)

Check out http://www.apta.org/ for a list of accredited programs, and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210 for some pretty decent (if sometimes hysterical) discussion on programs, salary, debt, etc.

Good luck, whatever you decide! I'm applying this year or next, depending on a few things. It's been a long road thus far, but I'm three years into prepping for this change and still excited about the field.

Thanks for the awesome information and link! That's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Do you have a sense of whether reputation of program plays a role? And I already took the GRE, that was part of my last challenge!

I took the GRE last year, and I highly recommend studying! Best thing I did was get a book with multiple practice tests and thorough explanations of the types of questions that will be asked. This made a big difference for me, particularly for the math portion.

Thanks for the advice Heather. As I said above I did take the test a couple months ago so I'm all set. Thank goodness I'm a "numbers" guy and a good test taker!

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

You should bring a camera with you and upload a video. We'd all be happy to critique form.

I keep thinking I will, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out the logistics of propping my phone up somewhere. What I'd really like is to have someone right there to poke me in the back or yell at me to lift my chest up, though. That way I could fix things on the fly.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

I need help in figuring out the most effective way to increase my leg muscle endurance specifically. I failed my 25 in 5 last night, even tho I've done it before successfully, because I was just beat. I'm not recovering fast enough or something. I just had nothing left. Maybe its a mental block, I have no idea. 5 minutes shouldn't be this hard.

Doing squats, step-ups, or something similar for high reps (15-20) for a few times a week for several weeks would probably help with that. I was doing a circuit that had four sets of DB squats, DB shoulder press, DB step-ups, and inverse rows where you were shooting for 15-20 reps and increased the weight when you could do 20.

Do you have a sense of whether reputation of program plays a role?

A few of my friends are in PT school now at Mass General and LOVE it. Also a few of my brothers' friends graduated from Boston schools (BC, BU, Mass gen, NEU? don't remember where) and are all doing fine. I was thinking of going to PT school but after nursing school I didn't feel like it :)

Doing squats, step-ups, or something similar for high reps (15-20) for a few times a week for several weeks would probably help with that. I was doing a circuit that had four sets of DB squats, DB shoulder press, DB step-ups, and inverse rows where you were shooting for 15-20 reps and increased the weight when you could do 20.

Thanks! I think reps are definitely something I need to up. I squatted just the bar for 4 sets, 12 reps this week and was sore for days. I will go lighter and longer in that area and keep up with my spin class for now. :)

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

I need help in figuring out the most effective way to increase my leg muscle endurance specifically. I failed my 25 in 5 last night, even tho I've done it before successfully, because I was just beat. I'm not recovering fast enough or something. I just had nothing left. Maybe its a mental block, I have no idea. 5 minutes shouldn't be this hard.

Sleep. Three nights of unlimited sleep. If you have to go to bed obnoxiously early, do it. But sleep until you can sleep no more. And then do it again the next night.

Also, if it happens to be 'that time of month,' you might want to take an iron supplement (I get Flintstone's vitamins with iron and munch on one a day for a few days each month).

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

If I could ask one favor of those in the rebellion is would be could you please treat yourself with love and kindness and know that it is ALL about the journey. The destination matters not...because no matter what goal you reach, as nerds, you will set another, so along the road, please, stop and smell the flowers!

big hugs all!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Sleep. Three nights of unlimited sleep. If you have to go to bed obnoxiously early, do it. But sleep until you can sleep no more. And then do it again the next night.

Also, if it happens to be 'that time of month,' you might want to take an iron supplement (I get Flintstone's vitamins with iron and munch on one a day for a few days each month).

*nods*

I am notoriously bad at sleep, especially so the night before I test. I stress and can't clear my head.

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

If you're looking for a little non-drug help, magnesium can be effective and some people swear by melatonin, but I've never tried the latter so I can't say.

+1 to magnesium.

LorenWade and I both take natural calm as a magnesium supplement. I luuuurve it.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

If any of you are wikipedian editors, could you come check out this project. I'm trying to improve the discussion about globalization and related issues on Wikipedia and it's really important to me. I don't want to ask you to be my meat puppet or anything, but if you have any ideas about how we could set it up better, or if you would like to participate, support, or recommend to a fellow editor that would be so cool.

And catspaw, thanks for asking this! You rock!

Liz Oh

Suburban Ninja

NF Intro

Twitter: @earthliz

Pinterest: I particularly like to identify #fitspo and #thinspo that has been photoshopped.

YouTube: Comics and Civics

One favor? hmm... I would have someone from this lovely Rebellion sit next to me as I'm trying to apply to medical school and just tell me where to go and what to do. This would make this a whole lot easier, especially since everyone has different advice and different times!

I say, as faculty at a good state university med school, and a physician scientist (so my opinion's worth about what you pay for it):

Go to a state allopathic school if you can, you will get a good education and be set up for a good residency

Borrow as little money as possible (see go to state school, above)

Enjoy your time in med school, its stressful, but I think third and fourth years of med school are the best parts of medical training, you get to see really cool stuff and be a part of people's lives in a meaningful way, yet you have no real responsibility yet!

When you're out of school, keep living a college student lifestyle until your loans are paid off.

Thanks for stimulating me to post my first ever post on NF - Long Live the Rebellion!

PM if you have any other questions for me

If any of you are wikipedian editors, could you come check out this project. I'm trying to improve the discussion about globalization and related issues on Wikipedia and it's really important to me. I don't want to ask you to be my meat puppet or anything, but if you have any ideas about how we could set it up better, or if you would like to participate, support, or recommend to a fellow editor that would be so cool.

I'm not a wikipedia editor, but I have a friend who is. I pointed him to this page. Good luck!

I say, as faculty at a good state university med school, and a physician scientist (so my opinion's worth about what you pay for it):

Go to a state allopathic school if you can, you will get a good education and be set up for a good residency

Borrow as little money as possible (see go to state school, above)

Enjoy your time in med school, its stressful, but I think third and fourth years of med school are the best parts of medical training, you get to see really cool stuff and be a part of people's lives in a meaningful way, yet you have no real responsibility yet!

When you're out of school, keep living a college student lifestyle until your loans are paid off.

Thanks for stimulating me to post my first ever post on NF - Long Live the Rebellion!

PM if you have any other questions for me

Thank you for your help, and congrats on posting here! I will PM you, actually.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

This thread is so full of WIN it brings a tear to my eye!

My rebellion favour would be to tell me how I can lead an adventurous life while still providing a stable upbringing for my kids.

Failing that, I'd love to know how to get 8 hours sleep every night without kids waking me up every night! I could take over the world if I could just get a full night's sleep!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Failing that, I'd love to know how to get 8 hours sleep every night without kids waking me up every night! I could take over the world if I could just get a full night's sleep!

This might sound crazy, but you could try giving them Natural Calm (magnesium) before bed. It's a little sweet and fizzy, so I suspect they'd like it, and it helps ME sleep. :D

Archived