Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone Do the Quirky Bento Boxes?

ETFnerd

True, but then it wouldn't be sushi. The only ingredient common to all forms of sushi (and the original sushi itself) is rice.

And that one has rice under Mario. You can see some of it sticking out in the bottom right corner next to the wedges of the cocktail sausage.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

The most common bento box contains sushi, so when I think of bento, sushi comes to mind. I understand that they don't have to contain it though.

I do love sashimi, I could eat it everyday.

I just got on Facebook and Frank Warren of Postsecret.com posted this link to 10 Ultra Creative and Geeky Bento Box Lunches right about the time that you started this thread. Coincidence?

Level 1 Woodwose

I do bentos from time to time, but I never bother with the cutesy ones, too much work in the morning. That being said, I have some of those hard boiled egg molds and I use them for my preschooler all the time. He loves them and they're not really that much work. You can pop the egg in the mold when it's hot and then store a bunch of them in the fridge for a few days.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Those molds are really common here in SK. They have ones for eggs, toast, rice, and more! And the array of bento boxes is huge! I've got a cute pink stacking one with all these little sections. they even have thermos-type ones to keep you lunch warm. There's a big section of my local supermarket dedicated to bento boxes :) I'm visiting Japan in July - I might make it my mission to seek out the coolest looking bento lunch.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Bentos are my fave. I really miss putting rice in mine. I don't miss the rice, but I do miss the cute things you can do with rice. Oh wait...onigiri.....I'm salivating now. Back to the topic. Yeah, bentos are awesome, and while sushi is not always in a bento, rice almost always is. :/ I have several nice boxes I got in Japan when I lived there. You can get pretty decent ones on amazon, too. The big thing about bento is to just fill it with what you love!

Speaking of onigiri, has anybody watched (or read) Fruits Basket? I saw all the episodes, never read the manga though, but anyway... There was part of an episode where they have a bake sale like fundraiser and they do "hit or miss" onigiri, where they have randomly added bad ingredients (like leeks) in the middle of the rice balls and sold them, kinda like a russian roulette. I so wanna get a bunch of people together and do that. It sounds fun. Haha.

Level 1 Woodwose

Guest Tigger
Speaking of onigiri, has anybody watched (or read) Fruits Basket? I saw all the episodes, never read the manga though, but anyway... There was part of an episode where they have a bake sale like fundraiser and they do "hit or miss" onigiri, where they have randomly added bad ingredients (like leeks) in the middle of the rice balls and sold them, kinda like a russian roulette. I so wanna get a bunch of people together and do that. It sounds fun. Haha.

There's a club at my college called "Japanese Cultural Association" and they did the hit or miss thing this year for a fund raiser. It was really cool, they even used colored rice on some of them! (like green ones for vegitarians, and red ones for spicy fillings) They were very nice about the whole thing and gave you a fried dumpling if you bought a 'miss' one, so at least you got something tasty out of it if you have bad luck like me :)

How fun! Thanks for sharing.

I like the concept of bento boxes, with their focus on aesthetic and variety of flavors, colors, and textures. I use this Sistema Lunch Cube. Mine is purple and adorable but a royal pain to clean. A friend purchased it for me; I think she found it at Old Navy (really) for $5.

It never gets easier, you just get better.

Blog -- 1st Challenge! -- Log -- Pinterest -- Goodreads

There's a club at my college called "Japanese Cultural Association" and they did the hit or miss thing this year for a fund raiser. It was really cool, they even used colored rice on some of them! (like green ones for vegitarians, and red ones for spicy fillings) They were very nice about the whole thing and gave you a fried dumpling if you bought a 'miss' one, so at least you got something tasty out of it if you have bad luck like me :)

That is awesome. I bet it turned out really well.

Level 1 Woodwose

Here is my Bentospiration board on Pinterest. I love any thing where the goal is to smush a bunch of colorful items together (terrariums are another one). I don't do it every day, but I like knowing that I do it sometimes because it frees me up from the belief that I have to finish those last six bites because "it's not enough to save." It's totally enough to save for your bento, yo!

Liz Oh

Suburban Ninja

NF Intro

Twitter: @earthliz

Pinterest: I particularly like to identify #fitspo and #thinspo that has been photoshopped.

YouTube: Comics and Civics

My girls get bento's every day for school lunch. They have three boxes filled with good stuff--usually its left overs from the night before-they hate school lunches and they don't want bread--so it works awesome....

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Ooh, I love bento boxes! I have a Mr. Bento jar and I joined a Mr. Bento group on Flickr just to see all the great things people put in them and get inspiration. I need to break it out again!

Woot, another Mr. Bento user! I ordered one a couple months ago from ThinkGeek. I'm not a huge fan of sushi, so I just use it as a regular lunch box. I love it. I try taking it as often as possible but I hate handwashing things so it doesn't get as used as it should.

It's really helped me eat healthier lunches though, as I try to fill at least 2, if not three of the containers with fruits/veggies.

Archived