Forums are back in action! ×

Denim suggestions

scotticus

Hey everybody - I'm looking for some denim suggestions. I'm down almost 4" in the waist and my jeans literally fall off on their own if I don't belt them up, but belting results in some pretty bad bunching. The catch is that I have pretty still have muscular legs from my previous life as a cylist/runner/triathlete - and maybe a bit from the squats :) In any case, I've always prefered a straight or slim (NOT skinny) jean, for that nice tailored look that you can wear to the office on casual Fridays. This wasn't a problem when my waist was bigger, but over the last week I've probably tried on at least 20 different pairs of jeans and can find anything that works in a cut that I like - if the waist fits well, the legs are way too tight. In order to get the legs in there, I basically need to go up a size or two (i.e. the size that I already own).

Here are my criteria:

- not dad jeans, carpenters, or wide legs

- dark wash

- selvage denim if possible (I only get one pair of jeans and I need them to last, so quality is a priority)

- must accomodate a 31-32" waist, and 22.5-23" quads

- preferably not boot cut, because they look like flares on me and I'm just not cool with that

I've had amazing luck with Outlier dress pants, because they're made for cyclists (roomy in the thigh, but still a nice slim looking cut), and if I can't find a good pair of jeans, I'll probably look into ordering a pair of "New Works" in navy blue as a denim substitute. I just thought I'd see if anybody on the boards knows of a gem or two that I can look into.

Thanks!

I've got many pair of Wranglers, but they are cheap compared to Levi's. I wear out a pair of Wranglers in about 18 months whereas my Levi's can last 3+ years.

Plus Wrangler's are a bit baggy in the relaxed fit version (the only type that'll fit my legs) and like I said the Levi's compliment my man booty nicely :D (yes I every bit as vain as that statement makes me sound).

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I've got many pair of Wranglers, but they are cheap compared to Levi's. I wear out a pair of Wranglers in about 18 months whereas my Levi's can last 3+ years.

Plus Wrangler's are a bit baggy in the relaxed fit version (the only type that'll fit my legs) and like I said the Levi's compliment my man booty nicely :D (yes I every bit as vain as that statement makes me sound).

Man booty...very nice! :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

My husband has large thighs and butt, but not as small of a waist as you. He wears regular ol' Wranglers (regular fit) from Walmart. Would they be considered "dad jeans?" Hate to say it, but from my experience as a big thigh-ed, small(ish) waisted person, you probably just need to go shopping and try a bunch on. I know some women's brands now make a curvy fit... kinda doubt they do that for men though.

For some reason, every pair of Levi's my husband has owned, has ripped in the...crotch. He has tried sizing up and down, to no avail...So no more Levi's for him. He has a pair of Wranglers, too, but found better luck with some generic brand he found at JC Penny's.

just keep on trucking...

For some reason, every pair of Levi's my husband has owned, has ripped in the...crotch. He has tried sizing up and down, to no avail...So no more Levi's for him. He has a pair of Wranglers, too, but found better luck with some generic brand he found at JC Penny's.

My husband tends to destroy jeans in the crotch too...with Levi's. I think it's because he tends to crouch down, squat, climb on stuff, etc. a lot. We switched to cargo pants for his more active days (hunting, fishing, home/auto repair) and save the jeans for when he's planning to be less abusive to his clothes.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I absolutely LOVE that you admit your vanity!!!

Hooray for a big ol' man booty!!!

Thanks all for the quick feedback! I've been used to Levis 514s and Gap straight legs, but now my many booty (stealing that term) and legs are just disproportionate to the waist. Will look into the 550s for sure.

Also ETF - thanks for posting those articles. Surprised that I missed that article on dappered (I love that site). I'll also look into having some made - oh, the luxury. Must admit that my pocketbook is more likely to tolerate the Levis, however.

I like the relaxed fit Levis they have at Target.

I absolutely have to do the relaxed fit with jeans and a size up. Even straight leg is way too tight. I've got 24.5" thighs and a 33.5" waist, however my hips are too big for 34" pants. Also usually 34" pants have too little space for me between the waist and crotch, making them nut crushers.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I just picked up a pair of Levis 505s on sale - for only $40 on sale. With an old gift card that I found cleaning up the office, they were only $15 out of pocket, including the taxes. Ended up going with the 33 for a more satisfactory fit all around and the waist fits acceptably well (just a teensy bit too big). Thanks again for the quick replies everybody!

I just picked up a pair of Levis 505s on sale - for only $40 on sale. With an old gift card that I found cleaning up the office, they were only $15 out of pocket, including the taxes. Ended up going with the 33 for a more satisfactory fit all around and the waist fits acceptably well (just a teensy bit too big). Thanks again for the quick replies everybody!

If 505s fit your legs you need to step your game up until 569s are they only thing you can squeeze into.

Due to how many options you get (and price) I tend to hit up places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx. They are sometimes hit or miss, but I can occasionally go in, grab ~10 pairs of completely different makes of jeans, try them on and walk out with 1-3 pairs that fit great. Keeps me from having to jump from one store to another. Yeah, I've made some bad choices in getting a pair that didn't last all that long, but at less than $20, I'll never complain about that.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I like Uniqlo because they have a wide variety of fits in pants and they'll tailor them for free after you buy them. The problem is they aren't everywhere yet, but if you're ever near one, check 'em out. Makes me finding pants with my inseam easier. When looking for a bike I learned that somehow my legs are the shortest they could be for my height on the bike purchasing scale. Hooray for being tiny?

Rurounii
Level 5 Half Elf/Half Saiyan Ranger
STR: 12 DEX: 5 STA: 20 CON: 11 WIS: 12 CHA: 7.5
Current Challenge: Challenge 4: Back on Track to Super Saiyan!

Due to how many options you get (and price) I tend to hit up places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx. They are sometimes hit or miss, but I can occasionally go in, grab ~10 pairs of completely different makes of jeans, try them on and walk out with 1-3 pairs that fit great. Keeps me from having to jump from one store to another. Yeah, I've made some bad choices in getting a pair that didn't last all that long, but at less than $20, I'll never complain about that.

Yippee for thrifty shopping!!!!

i, on the other hand, am not vain at all... just thought you'd like to know... can i get some love too? :)

etfnerd =/= vain... proof is in the pudding...

120604front.jpg

Certainly can give you some love for posting that pic!!!

All my vanity pics are in my thread...almost posted one in here but I don't wanna jack the thread

I like Uniqlo because they have a wide variety of fits in pants and they'll tailor them for free after you buy them. The problem is they aren't everywhere yet, but if you're ever near one, check 'em out. Makes me finding pants with my inseam easier. When looking for a bike I learned that somehow my legs are the shortest they could be for my height on the bike purchasing scale. Hooray for being tiny?

I'm exactly the opposite- 6 feet tall & 3 1/2 of it is legs!

Depends on how much you want to spend. Denim can get damn expensive, I used to have a bad additction. Selvage doesn't necissarily denote quality either, but it's a cool feature and I always look for it. My strongest recommendation would be APC New Standards. I'm on my second pair of raw ones, the originals have fadded really well, and are still going strong after 5 years of solid use. Only downside is, they aren't $40 jeans, they're more like $200.

Archived