Forums are back in action! ×

"Fit2Fat2Fit" A personal trainers journey to understand his clients 1st hand.

Pat G

A news item i thought was interesting.

A brief on one personal trainers story to gain then lose 34kgs (75lbs)

Fit2Fat2Fit

"For the first time in my life I was humbled,†he said.

With his new insight into the physical and emotional difficulties of losing large amounts of weight, Mr Manning hopes his experience will inspire those who believe health and fitness is an impossible goal.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I think I'm going to invest in that book. I had the idea of gaining weight just to lose it to understand overweight people better, but in no way do I have the balls to ever try that haha. Props to this guy.

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

It was an excellent marketing gimmick, I'll agree :)

Unfortunately, he's got more motivation available to him than the average person, which is that he's making money off the whole damn thing. If he DIDNT lose the weight, he'd be laughed out of the business.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I read about this guy last year, he was about half way through the weight gaining process at the time. I liked his motivation, and after seeing that little blurb about the emotional side of it, I may have to read the book.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I read an article in this about the paper and while I agree with you, AJ, it's a great way to boost sales, I still think it's great he did this. I think for someone who has been fit their whole life and always healthy, they just can't know what it feels like to be fat and facing changing your whole life. Although his experience still isn't the same - he didn't have to worry about getting form right, or figuring out what to do - it is better that now he understands some of the emotional challenges related to losing weight. Far too often, it isn't about actually doing exercise or changing dietary habits, it's about fear. Now he gets that a little.

I saw him on Dr Oz last year about a week after he had started losing weight again. Was in pretty bad shape. Best part was when his wife admitted that his 'performance' was suffering and she wasn't happy with it...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

No only his 'performance' in the bedroom, but everything else apparently suffered as well, his moods etc etc. What he did also mention was that his motivation to exercise, was gone out the window. During that period where he started to lose the weight, he resented his wife for what she was capable of motivating herself to do so easily, where all of a sudden it was a drag to him.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Cool marketing hook, as other have said. I might have to buy this book.

I think I was lucky; when I first started at the gym and got some cheap sessions with a trainer, the one I got paired with actually started out just losing a bunch of fat - so he had at least a vague sense of what I was going through when I first started (struggling to do inclined push ups and ball squats, etc). I find a lot of people who have been fit their whole lives have healthy habits as their auto-pilot; it's just not at all challenging for them to maintain them. This isn't necessarily the case for people who never developed said habits (and who have a string of terrible, unhealthy habits of their own), at least at the start. And even when they fix the habits, they still have a long way to go/wait between where they are and where they want to be, health/body composition-wise.

So props to this guy for his experiment. I don't know whether it was an honest attempt to empathize with his clients or just a shrewd book marketing move, but I bet it was an informative experience for him either way.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

Based on the before and after pics, it also caused him to start growing chest hair.

He may have also waxed it when he had the buff bod?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Archived