Forums are back in action! ×

So the inventor in my started thinking...

Jcannon98188

I live in an apartment, but really would love a pull up bar. My doors wouldn't support it, and I don't want to drill into the wall or any such thing (I want my security deposit back). Then it hit me, there is stairs right outside my front door! These are, of course, awkward to do a pull up on. So I started thinking, and decided that I can totally make a pull up bar, that can mount on the stairs (and be removed easily) so I can mount it up, do my pull ups, and then take it down and go back inside. There is a swing set in the park next to my apartment, but I feel weird doing them there, as I feel people are watching me. Before I start going all inventor and making one of these things myself, does anyone know if something like this is buyable?

Andddd I just saw the spelling error in my thread title. Cool. should say "the inventor in me"

I'm able to do pull ups on stairs in the office block where I work even without a bar but it is murder on the fingers ;)

I'd be tempted to just use the equipment outside. People may well look but anyone that doesn't think "awesome" probably isnt worth worrying about anyway.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

So my stairs look a something like this:

pullupbar2.png

So I imagined something like this:

pullupbar1.png

So it would slip over the front, then I would run around to behind the stairs, and do them. When done, just slide it back off, and put it away till next time. And yes, these are actual photos that I took :) (Totally not done in MS Paint or anything)

Gotcha. I was thinking more along the lines of closed steps and was confused. That wouldn't be hard to make. I don't know of anything you could buy, but I'd guess that it would be more expensive than making it yourself.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I vote for the swing set. First, they'll think you are funny. Go with it. Then they will think you are badass.

When I used to walk to work, I decided to "grease the groove" (kind of) by trying one pullup when I passed the swing set. It was easy in the a.m. b/c nobody was there. In the evening, it was a little tougher to summon the courage.

It's funny when little kids get into the act too.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'd be tempted to just use the equipment outside. People may well look but anyone that doesn't think "awesome" probably isnt worth worrying about anyway.

I vote for the swing set. First, they'll think you are funny. Go with it. Then they will think you are badass.

It's funny when little kids get into the act too.

Agreed. When I take my son to baseball practice I usually wander over to the playground and rip off sets of pullups/chinups/parallel grip pullups, dips, pushups, etc....and you know what? Everyone is so wrapped up in their own world(s) that they hardly notice, it's surprising how little other people actually pay attention to the world around them. Besides, if you can inspire just one person to be more active (even just a little) it's already a win/win.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

What about pull up rings instead of a bar? Then a loop bit could be made of a really strong cord that can be adjustable to slip over almost anything with some kind of fastening device to hold it in place? Plus it would be more portable so you can slip it in a gym bag and take it almost anywhere. Then your possibilities of where you can do pull up's are almost endless, as long as what you're hanging them from is open at one side you you to be able to loop the cord around.

Also if the length of your cords is also adjustable, you don't have to be restrained to doing a pull up on a flat bar. You could hang them from a tree branch for example.

What about pull up rings instead of a bar? Then a loop bit could be made of a really strong cord that can be adjustable to slip over almost anything with some kind of fastening device to hold it in place? Plus it would be more portable so you can slip it in a gym bag and take it almost anywhere. Then your possibilities of where you can do pull up's are almost endless, as long as what you're hanging them from is open at one side you you to be able to loop the cord around.

Also if the length of your cords is also adjustable, you don't have to be restrained to doing a pull up on a flat bar. You could hang them from a tree branch for example.

I like the way this one thinks... Just having 2 sets of a pull up ring on the end of a rope with a carabiner fastened securely on the other end would work great. Toss the carabiner over the step, draw it back and clip onto the rope above the ring. Do it with both and you have pull up rings.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I like the way this one thinks... Just having 2 sets of a pull up ring on the end of a rope with a carabiner fastened securely on the other end would work great. Toss the carabiner over the step, draw it back and clip onto the rope above the ring. Do it with both and you have pull up rings.

Well that was way easier than what I was going to do. Thanks CoreyD and RunningGirl for the ideas!

Archived