Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone else freaked out about how fast LTE is?

scotticus

Long story short: my good ol' normal 3G phone met an untimely end, and was replaced with a 4G LTE model.

I feel as though I have been under a rock and missed some serious quantum leaps in technogy here, especially where data transfer is concerned. I just downloaded a 11MB PDF on my phone, and it took 2-3s. It was so fast that I thought for sure there was an error or something in the download. But sure enough, I opened the file and it's all there.

When the crap did this happen? This is way faster than my broad band, and pretty close to being on par with transferring a file on a computer. Can I have more stuff like this please?

The 4G on my phone is faster than my home Wi-Fi signal. Now I just hook up my TV to the HDMI output of my phone and stream netflix :D

Also, it comes in handy during long seminars. You can watch Hulu pretty easily.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The 4G on my phone is faster than my home Wi-Fi signal. Now I just hook up my TV to the HDMI output of my phone and stream netflix :D

Also, it comes in handy during long seminars. You can watch Hulu pretty easily.

It's probably faster than your cable or dsl, but it's certainly not faster than wi-fi.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

It's probably faster than your cable or dsl, but it's certainly not faster than wi-fi.

It is. Wi-FI in my house has to go through my cable router. Wi-Fi speed is based on router speed.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I've heard this, but am still using a 3g phone myself. I know people who cancelled their broadband and use their phone as their hotspot at home.

I do! :) Well, when I'm out traveling and living in barracks and such. :P Just be careful of those overage penalties! Holy balls..

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

It is. Wi-FI in my house has to go through my cable router. Wi-Fi speed is based on router speed.

My point was just that the wifi is bottle-necked by cable, so comparing LTE to wi-fi is actually comparing LTE to {insert ISP here}. If you transfer from computer to computer inside your own network, it's going to go faster than 4G because cable is no longer the bottle neck. Basically, it's like saying that your Prius is faster than the Corvette that you just passed because it got stuck behind a semi. This probably comes off as kind of nit-picky, but I just had this conversation with my friend, so it bugs me to see it come up again.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Streaming on an internal network over wi-fi.....agreed, wi-fi will be faster since internally 802.11n can 'theoretically' hit 300MB/s. Of course any form of web streaming (netflix, hulu, youtube, etc) is limited by your service speed through your provider, and many times, 4G can be faster.

A co-worker has a 4G iPad and has seen 40-50Mb/s (5-6.25MB/s) speeds. I have Verizon FIOS at the highest tier offered for my area and it maxes at 25Mb/s (~3MB/s).

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

My point was just that the wifi is bottle-necked by cable, so comparing LTE to wi-fi is actually comparing LTE to {insert ISP here}. If you transfer from computer to computer inside your own network, it's going to go faster than 4G because cable is no longer the bottle neck. Basically, it's like saying that your Prius is faster than the Corvette that you just passed because it got stuck behind a semi. This probably comes off as kind of nit-picky, but I just had this conversation with my friend, so it bugs me to see it come up again.

Point taken. Normal use for Wi-Fi for me is interweb browsing not computer to computer communication.

Freaked out at data transfer speeds? nah dude, killer-rampaging-robots-with-laser-eyes-and-razor-sharp-claws-and-optional-detesticlizers....now THAT freaks me out....

Yes! You win for the word of the day (detesticlizer) for sure! I bet these robots would be equipped with LTE (or better) communications equipment though.

Archived