Forums are back in action! ×

Saw Brave last night...

SusieBlu

and I liked it. I was a bit skeptical if they would really keep Merida as the hero of the story. They has been many a female title role where there is some guy and love story that helps save the day. Nope not this one. It is a good family coming together and overcoming differences story between Merida and her Mom. Yes, I teared up at the end. Great visuals ( I saw it in 2D) and no real complaints other usually Pixar has a stronger story and Brave was pretty much a one note.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

Woooord. The gender roles of most movies aimed toward kids, even with female title characters, unsettle me a little bit. I saw "Tangled" a while back and thought it was a little problematic, although I did enjoy it overall. I'm glad that Pixar was cool with writing an actual strong female lead for Brave.

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

I've heard it's weirdly flat for Pixar, story-wise. Will I still go? Oh hells yes. My manflesh knows how much I crave strong female characters.

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

I saw it last night, and I loved it! I laughed so much! I may go to see it again just for kicks. Her hair! And the little brothers!!! And NO SAPPY LOVE STORY crap that always ruins female heroines!

Brave: making it cool to hang out with your mom again! (as if it ever isn't cool)

May the odds be ever in your favor!

I have a blog. It can be found here: http://wildcatspeaks.blogspot.com. I put my training up here, accomplishments, how many times I've vacuumed this week, etc.

I'm hoping we can go see this on the weekend. I'll be taking 2 young girls, 8 and 10.

I've heard a lot of interesting point of views on this movie... one article I read is wondering if Merida is gay (because only lesbians are strong females not looking for a Prince to save them, right?!), and another is angry at Pixar for the way they depict all males as idiots in the film.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty sure neither of those issues will be crossing my or (more importantly) the minds of the two young girls who I'm taking to see it.

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

I'm kinda distraught that her sexuality is a topic for discussion, merely because she's not driven to mate.

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

I'm kinda distraught that her sexuality is a topic for discussion, merely because she's not driven to mate.

Also this.

ALSO IT'S A CARTOON.

Seriously though..I do want to see this. I, too, was a bit disappointed in Tangled...fun movie but not so great on the strong female character part.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

No kidding. I don't care what her sexuality is, one way or the other. I also don't care what her stance is on health care systems or the cost of tuition. These things are not relevant to the film! Gah.

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

Woooord. The gender roles of most movies aimed toward kids, even with female title characters, unsettle me a little bit. I saw "Tangled" a while back and thought it was a little problematic, although I did enjoy it overall. I'm glad that Pixar was cool with writing an actual strong female lead for Brave.

Pixar is really good about gender roles.

Think back to Wall-E for a moment. EVE was the bad-ass superhero, Wall-E the one that needed saving. The names suggest a sex for the robots, but the gender roles and masculine/feminine traits are all over the place

Took my 2 yo daughter to Brave and enjoyed it.(note: Tangled was NOT a Pixar movie, just straight Disney). I did wish they explored the world and culture they built a bit more. I thought the scots were hysterical. I did not feel they made the men idiots just more focused on physical bravery. Also I loved her little brothers.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DragonBorne Adventurer

STR 4.5 DEX 4 STA 4.5 CON 5.25 WIS 8 CHA 3

"Time for some thrilling heroics." Jayne Cobb

Current Challenge My Fitness Pal

[/TABLE]

I loved it. Saw it with my sister and her family. My niece went home and promptly practiced not brushing her hair and my nephew tried his best to pretend he didn't like it (but I know he totally did). The story was a little rushed, but Pixar has spoiled us all...

I guess I wasn't surprised by the "Is Merida a lesbian?" ridiculousness since I've been getting that my whole life for pretty much the same reasons (ya know, boys are really bad at archery these days and I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those nun-hood torture-wardrobe thingys). Pretty amusing how predictable our society is. It's a cartoon, for pete's sake.

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

“Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Nope. That's just my face."

I loved it! It's great that they let her be a strong character on her own, without having to add a love interest. Also, I want her HAIR! I have the curls, but I've always wanted red hair.

Work it HARDER, Make it BETTER

Do it FASTER, Makes us STRONGER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived