Forums are back in action! ×

Have you ever had a just plain terrible workout?

Corbab

I was doing barbell complexes today with weight I've used before, and halfway through the fourth set, I just cracked up and dropped the bar. This workout usually puts me on the floor, but I've worked through it before, and today I just couldn't get myself back into it. I tried my bodyweight accessory work (pullups, HS pushups, dips), but I was just drained. I still had my PWO snack, and felt fine after—good enough that I wanted to head back and finish.

Have you ever just fallen flat during a workout? Powered through it?

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Yup. Had that happen to me this morning. Not enough food, not enough rest. I tried to power through but I had to reduce reps on the last two sets. I didn't feel right till I got some food in me.

Le sucks when that happens.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Yup. Had that happen to me this morning. Not enough food, not enough rest. I tried to power through but I had to reduce reps on the last two sets. I didn't feel right till I got some food in me.

Le sucks when that happens.

I'm not alone?! :tears_of_joy: I forgot to mention it was my second workout of the day, on not a ton of food and zero sleep. Apparently that state doesn't support self-analysis any more than performance...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Yes, it happens to me. I haven't been motivated to lift lately, last week I was about to do a set of normal deads at 75 lbs, which is light for me, and I couldn't even pick it up off the floor. Body just wasn't into it.

I decided to take this week off from lifting, and doing more HIIT cardio, and I think I will be happy to get back into lifting soon.

just keep on trucking...

Ugh, yes. It does look like you know what the issue was, so that's good. No sleep + no food usually yields pretty ugly results.

The upside is that sometimes you'll get fantastic days in the gym that you weren't expecting. IMO, those days outweigh the tough ones.

This happened to me tonight. I was doing my working weight for squats (260lbs) and for some reason (not enough rest/ate too much prior to working out) I couldn't get into it. It felt super heavy and my groin didn't seem to like it at all. Took longer breaks between sets but all in all the whole workout sucked, OHPs and deadlifts too. I'll just chalk it up too a bad day.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Yeah, I got this!" -andygates

I've had more than a few of these. Especially in runs. Get out there and after a mile, can't catch my breath, legs aching, and bam! Walking.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I've had the ones where everything just seems orders of magnatude harder than usual, pushed (crawled) through, dropped reps etc.

The really interesting thing I've found lately (since wearing a heartrate monitor) is that when the workout feels way harder that usualy lines up with my bio info. So sometimes (for me at least) it's not just being woosy, yo0ur body actually is running low/slow.

yup...we have all had them!!! and it depends on what I do with it! (mind you, I am weird and do not do normal things)

some times, I power through them, other times I go weird and....

this is when it is time to STOP!!!! yes...STOP! our regular workout, and do something different. Keep moving by all means, but do not focus on the results, just keep moving, make it up as we go along..make it fun, make it new, make it different!

Our bodies are telling us...HEY THIS IS BORING AND SOMETHING IS WRONG! so....do not let it be lazy...just switch it up!

and yes, I will be the very first to admit...it is hard to do something different, than just to give up for the day....

so this is the time to PLAY!

keep moving, change it up, run!, play! climb a tree, climb a building....pinch someones butt and run like hell! (make sure it is someone who will laugh with you though!)

PLAY...PLAY PLAY! loosen up that body, mind, and spirit!!!!

and by the way...it is PERFECTLY okay to have 'off' days! unless you are training for a specific competition....let it flow, and let it go!

and if you are training for a specific competition...let it flow, and let it go!!! HAH...confused you :D

In all seriousness....the tightness of our minds, affects the tightness of our bodies as well. And this can effect our workouts as well.

So...listen to your body, learn from it, grow from it...and take it one step at a time!

Archived