Forums are back in action! ×

Socially Awkward Teen Introduction~

I don't even know how long I was sitting here, contemplating whether or not I should introduce myself...I'm almost socially awkward, lol. Anyways, hi everyone, I'm Aleisha! I'm 17 years old, a wannabe cartoonist, a shorty at 5'2", and a fellow nerd. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4311[/ATTACH] (my brother and I...lol)

I began my weight loss journey on the first day of 2011 at 140 pounds. I hated my body and wanted to become skinny. However, I was a n00b and thought I'd be able to lose weight by eating 800-1000 calories and working out on Wii-Fit...Facepalm. Sometimes I thought throwing up would help, too. Sigh.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4312[/ATTACH]

By summertime, I realized that I was an idiot and began to run on the tredmil, performed weight lifting, started yoga, and ate about 1500-1700 calories. None from fat, FYI. The only problem there was that I thought I could run, lift, and balance in one day. I worked out 3 hours a day on 1500-1700 calories. By the end of the year, I was 110. On top of it all, things got gross with my body. I don't know how TMI people get on here, but let's just say I lost my monthly lady-hood.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4313[/ATTACH]

As soon as this summer hit for me, I knew I had to take things seriously. No more "weigh this much and look this skinny." This time, I dedicated myself to simply become healthier and stronger. I'm only working out an hour a day now; 3 days a week of weight lifting, 2 days of cardio, and 1 day of power yoga. I've increased my calories to 2000, and replaced most of my carb intake with fat intake. Also, I'm able to lift 20 pounds, as opposed to the past year struggling at only 8! I've gained 5 pounds so far, but TODAY, no joke- THIS VERY DAY- I got my lady-hood back! People also notice that I'm starting to look healthier, rather than too thin. My skin is starting to give a natural glow, no more dark eye bags, and my hair isn't falling out and making me look like a sick mess!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4315[/ATTACH]

Lately, I've been reading Nerd Fitness like my canon. It's so cool to see people so intrigued by fitness, but also completely obsessed with video games, comic books and superheroes, etc. :D

I'm curious about the Paleo diet! I love my Greek yogurt, so would I really have to give that up? Also, do people have experiences of running very low on fiber, or do the vegetables help provide a healthy amount (As told by a doctor, I need to eat a lot of fiber)?

Finally, random question, what is a good post workout snack? I've been REALLY stumped lately and am practically burnt out on cottage cheese and fruit, lol.

Thank you for reading! I'm so excited that I joined! :D

post-7940-13567244297556_thumb.jpg

post-7940-13567244298129_thumb.jpg

post-7940-13567244298532_thumb.jpg

post-7940-13567244299173_thumb.jpg

post-7940-13567244300039_thumb.jpg

First of all, welcome! I know where you're coming from to some degree with the ill-advised "health" attempts, so congrats on your progress. I got yelled at in bodybuilding forums and bored in men's forums, but all I've found here is a ton of support and advice.

Question-answering time!

-Greek yogurt is a go for me on paleo (as long as you're not lactose intolerant). Just make sure you get good stuff (plain) and add your own flavor.

-Fiber isn't a huge concern—I haven't heard anyone paleo complaining about insufficient fiber, and I think eating how we're supposed to eliminates most the need for it. I wouldn't outright ignore your doctor, but I wouldn't give it any particular attention unless you're having problems.

-Post-workout, you have a ridiculous number of options. Really, it depends on what you've been doing—post-weightlifting, you usually want to focus on protein and fat for building muscle, post-cardio (especially for anything 2+ hours), you want to focus on carbs for restoring glycogen. Any foods will work, but I like greek yogurt (protein) or a sweet potato (carbs) after a workout.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

i hear choc milk is great for post cardio, it's got that 3:1 carb:protein ratio runners are always looking for. my preferred post-lifting session drink is a banana smoothie. welcome to the boards!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Hey hey! Welcome to the Rebellion! Here we can help you with anything you need, from Advice to Motivation via being chased by a Zombie! Just don't hesitate to ask! Your progress sounds amazing and I think your pics are hilarious! I'll be rooting for you in the future!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hey! Welcome! Many of us have struggled with the conventional wisdom thing...I am so glad you decided to educate yourself! You are so beautiful (but sooooo skinny in that blue dress...omg...).

Definitely read some of Steve's articles and never be afraid to ask questions!

Strict paleo is basically meat + veggies + nuts + seeds. There is also primal which is meat + veggies + nuts + seeds + dairy. Really it is all about what your body can handle. If you don't get bad reactions from dairy, go for it! If you don't get bad reactions from grains, eat those too!

Like corbab said, you have a lot of options for post-workout. Personally, I lift heavy things and I have trouble getting enough protein...so I usually go for a protein shake after my workout.

Good luck and welcome!!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Howdy and welcome to the party. We're all mad here! ;-)

To answer your questions, I think you have some good advice above. I would say that for post workout snacks, if you are looking to go low carb but higher in calories, fats and/or protein counts you might look into hard cheeses like Parmesan or cheddar. My personal favorite right now is a Gouda variant called Beemster. Cheddar for those people who don't like cheddar, NOM! Also, consider avocados (high in good fats and calorie dense), nuts (walnuts have middling high carbs, but have LOTS of good fat and protein) and lean meats like roast chicken breast. In my other life, I am a chef and kitchen manager, so I am always glad to help out with alternative food suggestions. :)

Also, and this is just a helpful hint that it took me a while to figure out, there actually is no Paleo Police that will break down your door if you don't go strictly "by the book" on eating. Eat what you think is good, track your intake and the rest will take care of itself. Welcome to the Rebellion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chef Badger

Badgery Adventurer

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 4, CON: 4, WIS: 4, CHA: 2

Excellence is not an accident. It is the culmination of progressive attempts towards a goal. It is failing and saying, "I will succeed next time." It is succeeding and saying, "I will do better next time." It is the result of dedication and the return on an investment in time and effort. I will be excellent.

Archived