Forums are back in action! ×

Blackout Curtains

nightlight

hey rebels.

posting here as sleep is intertwined with fitness and diet!

i'm looking to purchase some black-out curtains for my bedroom. most i've found are either a: expensive and/or b: ugly.

do any of you have a lead on some reasonably priced not-so-ugly ones?

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

nightlight - I use to work graveyard for about 3 years as a pharmacist and blackout curtains was a necessity. Don't buy the pre-packaged ones at department or furniture stores as they will be more expensive. Go to a fabric store, they have blackout curtains in rolls and sell by the yard, much cheaper. They have different versions with the thicker ones being more expensive (obviously)...

Latest: How to Get a Beach Bod in Only 15 Minutes a Day http://fitforlifepledge.com

Pretty much the same, just had a nice curtain in front of a heavier one. Of course, you could just invest in blinds?

i rent. blinds would involve hole drilling, so it's a no go. but thanks for the suggestion!

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

What I did was get the thickest, darkest, cheapest curtains I could buy that weren't labeled blackout. It works for me and blocks out most light that comes in when I'm trying to sleep.

Try a thick blanket. You may be able to get one cheaper than blackout curtains.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

As a Mom, I always put blackout curtains in my kids bedrooms to help them stay asleep on weekend mornings ;-) We buy ours at Target, as they have the best pricing for something pre-made that can be decent looking. We're renters, too, but our apartments have always come with miniblinds. The blinds in combo with the Target blackout curtains are all we need!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 3: Outcast, Tweets, Pinterest, "Nerd? We prefer the term Intellectual Badass"

I got the ugly ones, and instead of using a curtain rod, I just pinned those suckers straight to the wall. I have them hanging over my patio doors not just for light reduction, but to cut down on the heat that comes into my house during the summer...I saw a nice reduction on my electric bill just putting those up and combining it with a digital programmable thermostat.

In my bedroom, I just doubled up some sheets that I don't use any more and pinned those to the wall too, but they're old satin sheets, and I have valences hung up, so it looks at least a little classy.

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

i'm thinking about buying some from amazon -- but what's not so clear is if they come in pairs or not.

hmmmm.. i'll have to do some research. found some that i think are OK.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I bought some from walmart on clearance. I rent as well but we were allowed to put up curtain rods by our landlord. Ours are tan or red (depending on the room) and they work well. Just an FYI all curtains come one panel to a package nowadays. You can sometimes find cheap curtains in 2 packs but they won't be blackout ones. I think we paid $9 each and they are normally $15 each at walmart, BBB has em too but I think they were more expensive unless you have a coupon.

Suit Status: Mk1

I bought the eclipse brand from wal-mart. They were reasonably priced and are ok looking. Not super cute but not hideous. They work really well.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Archived