Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Currently reading The Beach, under recommendation from SumDawgTwigg.  Enjoying it so far, and it's a pretty easy read.  I saw the film ages ago and remember really liking it, so interested to finish reading it and then re-watch.

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Lets see:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Currently reading)

I'm always reading the Bible

As soon as I'm done with The Hobbit I'm going to start on Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs

KK, level 1 Land Nymph. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 1|WIS 4|CHA 3

]“Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It’s quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn’t at all. You can be discouraged by failure or you can learn from it.  So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because remember that’s where you will find success.â€

— Thomas J. Watson

Currently reading "Hollow Earth" by John Barrowman (Capt Jack Harkness/DW & TW) and Carole Barrowman, along with "American Gods" and the original Star Wars novel.

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

I'm (very slowly, because I don't want it to be over) reading A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, and I just this morning finished Marathoning for Mortals by Jon Bingham and Jenny Hadfield, which was quite inspiring and made me want to go running.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I've been suffering Rudyard Kipling withdrawal lately, so I'm rereading his Sea Warfare. It's both humorous and insightful, and an easy read. I sadly don't have time or suitcase room for heavier reads, so public domain ebooks are my staple. I miss real books a tonnne! :'(

Lets see:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Currently reading)

I'm always reading the Bible

As soon as I'm done with The Hobbit I'm going to start on Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs

Kathy Reichs, YES! Win. I think that was the first book of hers I read, and it kickstarted my interest in forensic anthropology. Awesome stuff. Have you read her books before?

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

Kathy Reichs, YES! Win. I think that was the first book of hers I read, and it kickstarted my interest in forensic anthropology. Awesome stuff. Have you read her books before?

I have indeed read her books before. I believe I have all of her books but like 3 or 4 or them. I absolutely love them! I have to say though that they didn't kickstart my interest in forensic anthropology...the TV show Bones did that; however, it has vastly made me more interested in anthropology since I've been reading them :)

KK, level 1 Land Nymph. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 1|WIS 4|CHA 3

]“Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It’s quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn’t at all. You can be discouraged by failure or you can learn from it.  So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because remember that’s where you will find success.â€

— Thomas J. Watson

In print: 'Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl' - Daniel Pinkwater (3rd book of a series; great young-adult stories, full of puns and in-jokes and references to the Dutch history of upstate New York.  Marlon Brando's in it too.)

'Six Suspects' - Vikas Swarup.  I read and enjoyed 'Slumdog Millionaire', and so far I'm diggin' this one too. He's very good at juggling the perspectives of different characters.

Audio: 'Jingo' - Terry Pratchett.  Because Pratchett, that's why.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Hey !

Right now I´m reading "The Silmarillion" by Tolkien and after that continuing with all the Middle Earth-books (The Hobbit, LotR I-III) and

when I finished that (hopefully within the next 3-4 months) I´m going back to Game of Thrones (book 3).

Have an awesome day !

"With great power comes great responsibility"

An acquaintance who happens to be a librarian sent me boxes of books the library was getting rid of. I started the first Percy Jackson book, The Lightning Thief yesterday.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I'm reading The Tiger's Wife, by Tea Obrecht

That book was a random find from NPR, but it was great! It left me with a lot of questions, but the good kind of questions that you still think about months after the book is over. So good.

I just finished A Storm of Swords by GRRM. I'm tempted to start A Feast for Crows but I've been reading GoT for a while and I've heard (on these forums) that Feast is hard to get in to. But I thought Storm of Swords are kind of difficult to get in to because 1) new PoV chapters and 2) everyone dies!! Thoughts? If I'm not reading GoT, then what should I read?

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

That book was a random find from NPR, but it was great! It left me with a lot of questions, but the good kind of questions that you still think about months after the book is over. So good.

I just finished A Storm of Swords by GRRM. I'm tempted to start A Feast for Crows but I've been reading GoT for a while and I've heard (on these forums) that Feast is hard to get in to. But I thought Storm of Swords are kind of difficult to get in to because 1) new PoV chapters and 2) everyone dies!! Thoughts? If I'm not reading GoT, then what should I read?

I made the mistake of reading all of the Ice and Fire books back to back, and I was completely burned out on the fifth one.  I'm reading The Blade Itself which is the first book of a series and it has potential, but the story hasn't really gone anywhere yet, so I'm not sure if it's worth recommending or not.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I just spent this evening reading various Patrick McManus selections aloud to a few friends. A non-nerdy selection, but hiLARious! He's a great humor writer: Try A Good Deed Goes Wrong, The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw, or Crash Dive! 

Also caught up on a couple beloved authors last week while I was sick: Agatha Christie and Dick Francis. Perfect material for the bedridden patient!

• Like 1

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

Well I have a stack of books next to my bed at all times, but lately they've been replaced by my Kindle. The last book I read was "Crush It" by Gary Vaynerchuk. I read it within a few days and it's a pretty good book although I was expecting a lot more from it honestly. It was touted highly by a lot of people, not to say it isn't a great book but I was hoping for a more "profound" book that really changed my life around. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a few books on my Kindle I have yet to read and some that are halfway through. I'm still reading "Toilet Paper Entrepreneur" and I have "Turning Pro" both of which I'm about halfway through. As you can tell I read mostly inspirational/business type books but I do have "4 hour body" next to my bed as well.

I'm reading "The God Particle" by Leon Lederman. Physics book about trying to find and explain the Higgs boson particle that theoretically is the most basic building block of everything in the universe. I'm enjoying it so far. Entertaining and very informative.

“The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?† 
 -Billy Connoly , The Boondock saints
Level 2 Warrior

I was on a classics kick. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Around the World in 80 Days, Black Beauty, all of Jane Austen, lots of Sherlock Homes, Frankenstien, basicly the free books on my tablet. I finally read The Tale of Two Cities and now I understand so many more references in The History of the World Part I. I'm trying to read The Orgin of Species but I got really bored with pigeons. I like to reread Harry Potter before bed when I'm tired, doesn't matter if I fall asleep and lose the page.

When my required school reading goes down, I'm going to start the Game of Thrones.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

I just finished Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. I was prompted to read this a while ago after listening to Morgan Freeman talking to Neil deGrasse Tyson about the book and possible movie. About to start Quiet:The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

One of my goals for this year is to read a whole lot more.

- Daniel

• Like 1

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

About to start Quiet:The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

- Daniel

I wish I'd read this book a long time ago! (I wish it had been around then, I mean.) I'm several chapters in and really enjoying it. I'm reading it from an introvert's standpoint so there's a lot that resonates; however, her humor sometimes tends to the cynical when she's talking about our extroverted society. I still love it - just don't know how I'd feel about it if I was an extrovert. :) 

Let me know (here or in a PM) what you think, please.