Forums are back in action! ×

Webcomics: Share them, discuss them

kingclumsy

I wondered what (if any) webcomics fellow rebels read.

The ones I read regularly are

• Questionable content (which I read religiously)
  • Girl Genius (which is well written, funny and flat out beautiful)
  • Order of the Stick (which is incredibly epic despite its art style)

I also frequently read XKCD, Hijinks Ensue and a few others. A notable one is Freakangels (by Warren "Internet Jesus" Ellis) which has finished now but is availiable in its entirety online).

As a shameless plug as well. I write "The Hereafter" (www.the-hereafter.co.uk) set in post-apocalyptic England. Its a mix of adventure, dark comedy, observational humour.

Any you like/dislike? Any recommendations?

Level 3 Roller Knight

STR:3 DEX: 1 STA:2 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: None

I love QC, the only other one that I read regularly has been Scary Go Round, which has now morphed into Bad Machinery.

I read XKCD when I remember and I love it. Where that doesn't have a narrative running through it, I find it's easier to forget about and come back to down the road. Another one in a similar vein that I love when I remember is Octopuns.

Will check out your one King, when I have a spare moment.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

I read a lot of web comics:

XKCD

Questionable Content

Ctrl-Alt-Del

Least I could Do

Looking For Group

The Oatmeal

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Dilbert

Girls With Sling Shots

PHD Comics

Survivng the World

My top four, of course, are XKCD, Least I could Do, Looking For Group and Girls with Slingshots. The last three are just great (I guess Ctrl-Alt-Del is up there too but lately the storylines haven't interested me).

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I read a lot of web comics:

XKCD

Questionable Content

Ctrl-Alt-Del

Least I could Do

Looking For Group

The Oatmeal

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Dilbert

Girls With Sling Shots

PHD Comics

Survivng the World

I like your list. i heart QC as well - and I think The Oatmeal is the most consistently funny thing I have ever read.

i had several web comics i was reading - but stopped because the updates were infrequent or non-existent (*cough* Wigu and hyperbole and a half *cough*).

I will investigate these other comics. i need some laughs to get through the work day!

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

I religiously follow XKCD, Questionable Content, A Softer World and Gunnerkrigg Court.

I've read every single XKCD comic about a dozen times and absolutely love it. Found QC and ASW from there also.

ASW is ok, no story or anything, but the quotes are just great.

Gunnerkrigg is really good too. It has evolved a long way from the start, but I absolutely love the art style now. I believe I found it through QC.

Snake, once it is up let us know. I'll definitely subscribe to it.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I'm totally hooked on Hark! A Vagrant. It's this perfect mix of smart history and literature and then suddenly fat Shetland ponies and sexy Batman.

I've only recently discovered Hark! A vagrant, but I already love it.

Nobody has mentioned A Brawl in the Family? What about Cyanide and Happiness?

Cyanide and Happiness (along with xkcd) is one I return to on occaision and dip in and out of.

Level 3 Roller Knight

STR:3 DEX: 1 STA:2 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: None

I usually don't remember to read them, but when I do: XKCD and PhD comics, with a side of Cyanide and Happiness, Ctrl+Alt+Del, and Hyperbole and a Hlaf (which doesn't really count I guess).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

I'm so glad someone started this thread, because I love webcomics! I've pared down my list over the years, but I'll list the ones I'm following, and a few finished favorites--that is, the ones that haven't already been mentioned. I Love Brawl in the Family, OotS, Gunnerkrigg Court, and xkcd (duh). I'm pretty sure I've tried most of the comics y'all listed so far.

Romantically Apocalyptic (mind-blowingly gorgeous art, darkly humorous post-apocalyptic tale)

The Abominable Charles Christopher (also incredible art, follows the story of a Bigfoot character and the forest animals--not as kiddie as it sounds)

The Bean (black and white art awesomeness, epic fantasy)

The Dreamland Chronicles (3D-model kid-friendly fantasy)

Snow By Night (art's not too bad, colonial fantasy--which is something I don't see often)

Earthsong (SO PRETTY, more epic fantasy)

Goblins (D&D-based epic tale, but nothing like OotS)

The Dreamer (online graphic novel set half in the modern day, and half during the American Revolution. It makes sense in the story)

Blue Milk Special (one of the best Star Wars parody comics out there)

Stupidfox (updates infrequently, but incredibly cute)

Lint & Lintier (The first one is finished, the second in progress. Another fantasy tale with a silly sense of humor and pretty art style)

The Phoenix Requiem (finished, Victorian fantasy-mystery.)

Inverloch (the first comic by the author of the Phoenix Requiem. Also finished. It's more anime-ish in art style. More fantasy.)

Tales of the Questor (Technically a "furry" comic, but only in the sense that Disney's 1973 Robin Hood is "furry." Another epic fantasy comic. The art isn't as good as the others on this list, but the story is wonderful. It does have strong Christian themes, but I know a lot of people from all faiths--or lack thereof--who enjoy it.)

I have a lot more that I read as well, but if I went on, I'd probably be entering TL;DR territory.

Celidah, I've never read any of the ones you listed, but after only 4 pages of archives in Romantically Apocalyptic, I am declaring two things: (1) Saturday will now be "Read ALL of Celidah's webcomics day," and (2) you are to be lauded and worshipped. That is AMAZING!!!

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

Romantically Apocalyptic (mind-blowingly gorgeous art, darkly humorous post-apocalyptic tale)

I can't believe I forgot about Romantically Apocalyptic. I stopped reading somewhere around number 45! Must catch up now. How often does it update?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Wow. Uh.

I'll try to keep my list to ones I actually like and haven't been posted yet.

Awkward Zombie

Busty Girl Comics, technically more of a tumblr than a webcomic, but still, it's funny comics about boobs (mostly SFW, too). What more could you want?

Darths and Droids

Dumbing of Age

Dr. McNinja

Dresden Codak (yes, I know he never updates, SHUT UP)

El Goonish Shive

Friendship is Dragons

Girls With Slingshots

Guilded Age

Head Trip

Irregular Webcomic

Johnny Wander

MS Paint Adventures (ongoing: Homestuck. Completed: Problem Sleuth, Bard Quest, Prison Break)

Nodwick and the other comics

Sinfest

Spinnerette

Sequential Art

Subnormality

Three Panel Soul

Honestly, there's more, but enjoy that small list for now.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

my number one favorite is scary-go-round/bad machinery/everything john allison does. i also love, love, love gunnerkrigg court.

there are several others that i check daily/weekly/whenever their update schedule is (like xkcd), but they are all on a separate, lower tier from bad machinery & gunnerkrigg court.

i also think i might be the only person on the internet who dislikes questionable content.

SMBC and XKCD are consistently -amazing-.

I also really love Wondermark. If you've never read it, the author uses scans of old public-domain illustrations as the art and then writes his own dialogue and characters. In practice, this usually ends up with him giving people in victorian-era clothing ridiculous and anachronistic dialog.

Two of my favorites are the Stove Cat (for hilarity) and The Maltheist (for off-the-wall and amazing philosophical pondering).

I can't believe I forgot about Romantically Apocalyptic. I stopped reading somewhere around number 45! Must catch up now. How often does it update?

Weekly. Yeah, you really do need to catch up. You're missing some of the best pages!

I might post more links later on, but the hubs and I have been moving all day today, so I'm bushed.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Archived