Forums are back in action! ×

Skele-toes or FiveFingers

LinkOfHyrule

I'm in the market for some minimalist toe shoes, and I'm wondering, which you guys think are better. I take it everyone will say the vibram five fingers, but then my question is how much better, as in are they enough better to justify the extra price? Thanks for the help guys!

Hylian Adventurer

STR – 3

DEX – 2

STA – 1

CON – 2

WIS – 4

CHA – 3

My 1st and Current Challenge: Right Here Folks!

I <3 VFF's. Some people might be squeamish about it but I have bought my last 2 pairs off ebay used for less then half price. Both pairs had less then 20 min of use and looked brand new. Too many people buy these and hate them. I love those people. I got both pairs for $40 ea shipped to my door.

My VFF's are great so far, had them for about 2 weeks now and I enjoy lifting in them, and I hate running but I'm starting to warm up to it. http://www.travelcountry.com/ has a big sale on them. Go get fitted somewhere then order from there. I got my KSO's for 40 bucks and I don't regret it yet. I've heard the skele's are thicker, which really isn't forcing you to use the balls of your feet much.

I just looked at Skele-toes in the store (unfortunately they didn't have my size) but the ones I slipped my feet partway into just didn't feel good. They were so thick and rigid. Granted, this may be because my foot wasn't completely in the shoe, but these were the normal model of Skele-toes and I'm used to the TrekSport VFFs, which are the thickest soled VFFs available (I believe). So, in my experience, I'd go with the VFFs. But I'm not against trying properly sized Skele-toes one more time if I can find them. Of course, you really can't go wrong with either as they're both better than normal shoes you'd be buying.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I'm about to buy a pair of VFFs as well. I've heard from friends that the difference is quite big, according to them the material used in Skele-toes is thicker and doesn't feel as comfy trying to simulate the whole barefoot running concept.

Do or do not, there is no try.

Another vote in favor of the Vibrams. I tried on a pair of the skeletoes and found that the material didn't breath at all well, my foot got warm enough I wanted to take the shoes off rather quickly. I've not had that issue with any of my pairs of Five-fingers. Another point worth noting, the skeletoes only have four toes, not a real hindrance I suppose but worth noting. Just not natural. :P

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I can also suggest some other 'barefoot-shoes' that i personally like more then the VFF:the ones from http://www.vivobarefoot.com/ and http://www.leguano.eu/

Mostly because its easier to use socks in them without the need to buy funky toe-socks :ambivalence:. The "Ultra" from vivobarefoot is also very versatile, its basicly 3 in 1 shoe..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

If barefoot style shoes are a point of discussion I'd suggest the Merrel Barefoot line for that thread. I have the Tough Glove for work and am glad for it.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I also recommend VFF. I tried everything else from Merril Glove to Skele-toes. They are all waaaay different to VFF. VFF are so light and flexible I even forget I wear them sometimes.

I have the toe socks too (Canada is cold!) but I only wear the when necessary. I wash them in the laundry too and they are fine.

Try them on in store and look for sales online. I think you get some decent deals if you look a bit.

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

I wish I could get "manly" toe socks around here, but there aren't any that aren't neon or covered in stars and stuff like that. Not that I'm completely against neon socks, but I wouldn't mind getting some black or dark grey toe socks without ordering them online.

Level 1 Woodwose

I've used both the Fila Skele-toes and the Vibram fiver-fingers (Komodo). Appearance aside, I do not think its fair to compare these shoes because they are completely different. The Fila's were very thick, rigid, and prevented a lot of natural foot movement. The Vibram's, in contrast, feel thin and flexible while still providing adequate protection. I'm sure everyone is different, but in my testing the Fila's were very uncomfortable and unnatural feeling. Instead of feeling "barefoot" they made me feel like I was wearing a normal shoe with toe slots.

I decided to go with the Vibram's and am currently using them for lifting/running. Running with the Vibram's requires a certain level of "building up" before you can match your running pace in regular running shoes. The first run in mine was only a mile and afterwards I noticed several muscles (lower calf, ankle, and right below the ball of each foot) were sore. I don't think I ever stressed these muscles in my old New Balance running shoes. If you plan on running/hiking in Vibram's, I strongly suggest you take it very easy and allow these muscles to develop before jumping into anything too extreme.

I wish I could get "manly" toe socks around here, but there aren't any that aren't neon or covered in stars and stuff like that. Not that I'm completely against neon socks, but I wouldn't mind getting some black or dark grey toe socks without ordering them online.

When I bought my toe socks I bought a pair of rainbow colored ones and a pair of perfectly normal-looking white ones! ;3 Try REI's website. That's where I got them from.

Phantom Adventurer/Monk-in-Training

STR: 2 || DEX: 2 || STA: 1 || CON: 3 || WIS: 4 || CHA: 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no crying in alien warfare.

When I bought my toe socks I bought a pair of rainbow colored ones and a pair of perfectly normal-looking white ones! ;3 Try REI's website. That's where I got them from.

I never thought of REI! I figured the only places I could get them were the girl's accessory and clothing stores. Best thing is, I can order them online and not have to look like a weirdo/perv for shopping at Claire's.

Level 1 Woodwose

It writes own jokes!!!

Couldn't resist that one!!

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Do you know if any stores sell Injinji performance socks in your area? Probably most likely to find them in an outdoor/camping type store.

http://www.amazon.com/injinji-Performance-Original-Weight-Toesocks/dp/B000LRHN1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345039699&sr=8-1&keywords=injinji

I prefer to not wear socks with my Vibrams, but occasionally I will wear Injinjis when I run and they work great.

It writes own jokes!!!

Couldn't resist that one!!

Eh, I'm my own running gag. Might as well utilize it, right?

Do you know if any stores sell Injinji performance socks in your area? Probably most likely to find them in an outdoor/camping type store.

http://www.amazon.com/injinji-Performance-Original-Weight-Toesocks/dp/B000LRHN1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345039699&sr=8-1&keywords=injinji

I prefer to not wear socks with my Vibrams, but occasionally I will wear Injinjis when I run and they work great.

If there is any place that sells them, it would be Dick's Sporting Goods. Nowhere else would have them, and it is a little far out of my way just for socks. Next time I head in that direction I'll check it out though.

I should also note that these aren't particularly for wearing with my VFFs, I have preferred wearing toe socks with normal shoes for years. They're just more comfortable. Though it may help a little with my VFFs since I believe I got 1 size too large.

Level 1 Woodwose

I've used both the Fila Skele-toes and the Vibram fiver-fingers (Komodo). Appearance aside, I do not think its fair to compare these shoes because they are completely different. The Fila's were very thick, rigid, and prevented a lot of natural foot movement. The Vibram's, in contrast, feel thin and flexible while still providing adequate protection. I'm sure everyone is different, but in my testing the Fila's were very uncomfortable and unnatural feeling. Instead of feeling "barefoot" they made me feel like I was wearing a normal shoe with toe slots.

This. Skele-toes are a great introduction to "finger" shoes. They are more rigid and "shoe-like" in terms of support. They also are not a 5-finger shoe - the two little toes go in the same slot.

Basically, if you are interested in a finger shoe, but are hesitant to lay down the cash for VFF, try the skele-toes which are typically <$40.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I tried my VFF (komodosport LS) for the first time yesterday. I felt like I was a kid again, running like I did as a kid, until some gym teacher along the way told me I ran wrong. It was awesome, but holy crap do my calves hurt today. I guess the person who sold them to me was right to say take it easy the first few times ...oops...

I tried my VFF (komodosport LS) for the first time yesterday. I felt like I was a kid again, running like I did as a kid, until some gym teacher along the way told me I ran wrong. It was awesome, but holy crap do my calves hurt today. I guess the person who sold them to me was right to say take it easy the first few times ...oops...

Yes, definitely take it easy. My first run in them was just a mile and wasn't too bad, so being the smart person I am I decided to run 4.8 miles two days later. It didn't kill me or anything, but the lower part of my calves and the middle "ball" of each foot were more sore than I can ever remember them being. I highly recommend easing into them since you will be using muscles in a way you aren't use to with "normal" shoes.

Archived