Forums are back in action! ×

Tips on staying fit in college?

Lunaspirits

I'll be going to college soon and worried about getting a good workout in. If this semester is going to be anything like last semester, I'll be up late doing work, going to class during day and lucky to get a good night's sleep. There is a gym right on campus that students can go to, but I am afraid of not having time to go there. Anyone have any tips that they like to share on working out during college? Thank you in advance!

Lunaspirits

Pixie Adventurer

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 2

Current Challenge

"Don't Limit Your Challenges, Challenge Your Limits" - My Keychain

Check out Steve's hotel room workout, it super adaptable to whatever your environment is :)

Level 3 Timelord Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 10 | DEX: 7 | STA: 11.5 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 5.75 | CHA: 2.25

Challenge

1 2 3

"The thing is, Adam, time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book. You've got to throw yourself in, eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers - or is that just me? Stop asking questions. Go and do it!"

"Don't ever judge me by your standards."

I hear you on the busy schedule thing. I generally plan workouts around my school schedule, so days that I have 7+ hours of class are my "off days".

I don't know about your school, but mine has academic blocks (periods where there are no classes) two days a week. These are kept open for events and sports team practices. That's always a good time to run to the gym. Other than that, if you have even a short break do a quick workout. Only 30 min? Workout for 15-20 minutes.

I tend to operate on the "do something, anything" method. Then again, I'm the person doing laps in the pool to relax after a hard final when other people are out guzzling alcohol...

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Thanks for the replies so far!

I am sure I'll be able to fit at least 3 hours in my week. I guess I am more worried about being too worn out rather than having time. The hotel workout seems like a really good idea actually! I will be keeping that in mind when I do have time! I also really like Garjan's "do something, anything" method! I don't even go to the parties at all, which reminds me that I will have time on the weekends! I wish I was the person doing laps in the pool! I love water, but I can't swim! I should definitely learn!

My school doesn't require us to take phys ed class and mostly likely won't fit in my schedule. I'll be lucky if then even count it as an restrictive elective. However, if it does, and I have space in my schedule, that is definitely a consideration! It seems like it really is about using the time in the day that are hard to see, but they are there. You guys really have given me some good tips. Exercising may even help me during my really late night days.

Lunaspirits

Pixie Adventurer

Current Challenge

I wish that I hadn't made the excuse "I'm too tired" so often in college - wouldn't have gained almost 25lbs that way! :P I know how easy it is to not feel like it, and I know i'll be struggling with the same demons once I go back to school in the fall. Here's what I'm hoping to keep in mind...

"I really regret that workout." - No one. Ever.

And, from this site, instead of saying "I don't have time," say "It isn't a priority." Puts everything into perspective!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

I wish that I hadn't made the excuse "I'm too tired" so often in college - wouldn't have gained almost 25lbs that way! :P I know how easy it is to not feel like it, and I know i'll be struggling with the same demons once I go back to school in the fall. Here's what I'm hoping to keep in mind...

"I really regret that workout." - No one. Ever.

And, from this site, instead of saying "I don't have time," say "It isn't a priority." Puts everything into perspective!

Wow! That actually kind of hit me a little! I wouldn't dare want to say to myself working out isn't a priority! It is one! Sure, school work may be on the top of my list, but fitness sure is becoming my close second!

Lunaspirits

Pixie Adventurer

Current Challenge

I thought the same thing when I went to college. Once you get through the first week or so you'll definitely find the perfect times to work out.

Also, check out if your school has a personal training program. I don't know what level you are on for lifting in the gym (and if you don't do so already, start) but for me getting a trainer was the best thing I did. First off it should be a lot cheaper than getting a membership at a local gym and paying crazy amounts of money. At my school our "membership" is paid through our tuition and training is only $10, which I'm never going to find anywhere else. Not only is it probably cheaper, but it's great motivation to get up when you'll be wasting money if you don't.

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I think it is really important to keep in mind that your physical and mental health are so connected. We live in a society in which we like to think they are separate things, but they aren't!

Walking when you can, taking advantage of the cheap/free gym at college (you won't find a gym that cheap again!), and maybe even joining some fun cheap/free classes will make you feel mentally and physically better! And this will definitely flow into your academics. You'll be more alert, less stressed, and generally feel awesome about yourself.

I really wish I listened to my own advice in the earlier part of university. I felt exhausted. I felt like I didn't have enough time. I was making excuses for myself. After all, I was on facebook for at least 30 minutes, if not longer. And that half hour could have been dedicated to something active.

I also felt like I needed to go all out. If I didn't have 2 hours everyday to work out, then I felt as though I didn't have enough time to make a difference. If 2 or 3 days a week is all you can manage - do it! Something is better than nothing!

Good luck to you!

You'll have the time. I say this as someone who had to take 27-30 units per quarter while in grad school, with two sons and a part-time job. I still found time to jog and always take the stairs. It just has to be a priority and stay away from the truckloads of bad food you'll be exposed to. You can do this, successfully. I have faith in you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Amazon Adventurer

My Intro |Current Challenge|Battle Log

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

This comes from the girl who, for the last 2 years, made it to the gym maybe twice a semester and rode a bike for 45 minutes. We'll see how it goes in the semester from hell (as coined by one of my professors). I'm also an engineering student, so I believed finishing a problem set earned me some goof off, not work out, time.

-Walk everywhere. Don't be like me and take the shuttle uphill (or down), even in the nicest weather (that didn't happen too often, but I got lazy).

-Take the stairs.

-Don't procrastinate as much as I did (hopefully it's did, not will continue to do). I'd check my email, get lost on Facebook for an hour or more, and then think that the time I had between then and when class/dinner was wasn't enough time to do anything. It might not be enough time to get a good workout/shower in (especially if the gym is far-ish away like mine is), but you can get a math problem or an essay paragraph done. If you have a weirdly short time between classes, take a textbook with you and get some work done in the library or nearby lab/lounge space so you don't waste time walking back and forth to your dorm and have more time later.

-Consider joining an intramural or club sport.

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

Get someone to work out with you. Or join a sports team. Drag your friends to the gym for some tennis, paddle races, or whatever they have at your gym. When the weather is nice, go walking around town.

Try to get as much sleep as possible (limit Facebook and online gaming to 30 minutes a day, or only weekends).

Most important of all, STUDY EFFICIENTLY. If you didn't learn this skill in high school, you'd better learn now. If you are spending more than 4 hours a day studying outside of class, you're doing it wrong. In college most instructors do not grade you on attendance or homework, only on tests and papers. I've had classes where it was safe to skip lecture, classes where it was safe to skip homework, and classes where it wasn't safe to skip either. Learn to tell which is which. Older students who have taken your courses can tell you what you're in for. Learn to speed-read and take good notes.

And watch what you eat. There will be days (or nights) when the only thing you can grab is junk food, but don't let that be every meal or every day. Dorm food is usually very bad for you, but you might be stuck with it your first year depending on your living situation. Try to choose the healthiest options. You can often mix junk food with a few ingredients from a grocery store and have a quick, reasonably nutritious meal. For instance, crack an egg into a bowl of ramen, and you have egg drop soup. Pile lots of veggies onto your sub at the sandwich bar, and it's a more complete lunch.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

You'll just have to prioritise. I'll stay up late to finish an assignment if it means I can work out that day.

Studying efficiently is a good thing, but some people aren't well-equipped for it at all and just end up failing a lot of classes. Biggest thing is not procrastinating and doing your homework. You really learn a lot from doing homework, making your pre-test studying really just a lookover of the material and practicing some exercise. Yes, practicing is important. More important than studying. I don't care what class it is, if you haven't practiced, you'll have a hard time passing it with good grades.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

What time is your earliest class? I'm one of those people who would much prefer to get up earlier and do things, rather than stay up late, so I have all of my workouts scheduled in the morning before any of my classes start. I have to leave for school at 9, which gives me the time I need to work out before I start school. If that's an option, I've found it to be really helpful to get my exercise in as early as I can - it really sets the tone. If I've already done a good workout, I'm much more likely to eat well, and just be productive in general. I was afraid it would wear me out too much, but it actually gives me more energy, so there's also that :)

You could also take more of the Angry Birds approach - I've done this when I'm on a trip with my family, which makes it impossible to fit in a regular workout. Just five minutes here and there over the course of the day add up quite nicely :) And just avoid campus food on principle...half the places on my campus, I know a significant number of people who have found mold, uncooked meat, etc. in their food, and that's on top of how horrible it is for you.

Also, stairs and walking around on campus can be a sort of game. How fast can you make up that flight? Or those six? Or that ridiculously steep hill that everyone on campus hates? How long can you go without using the elevator? Try and improve your times over the course of the semester - maybe set goals?

Okay, I'll stop rambling now. Best of luck to you!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Archived