Forums are back in action! ×

GoRuck Challenge - Anyone ever done one?

cline

Does anyone know of a more economically friendly Ruck Event - I can't drop 2 bills to walk around Philly (I would love to)? I know I can go "do it" myself, but I was hoping for the "mob mentality" group camaraderie type of event.

511 Tactical has a decent selection, or you could always check out your local surplus store.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

I think he means that the actual event costs like $130 and if there was anything cheaper..

mud runs at a minimum will cost you 60-70 and thats for 2 hours and from what I can see cannot come close to comparing.. for a 10 hour event considering all that has to go into it legally and logistically, I don't think the price is bad at all.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Well, this past Sunday I had the distinct honor of bringing the Ruck Across America from Beverly to Boston, right about 30 miles on the dot.

Aaaaaaaand, I'm still hurtin'.

The Challenge definitely left me more sore all over, but this did a particular number of my legs and feet.

Most interesting was that, up until a few days prior, I was expecting to do a stretch of, ohhh, 5 or 6 miles.

Which is decidedly less than 30. ;)

But hey, it had to get done, so it got done. Which is a lesson GoRuck tends to instill.

And besides, a few days or soreness and some blisters are approximately nothing compared to what our brave servicemen and women face on a daily basis, which is what the RAA is all about, really.

Had a good time, despite the pain, walking with a friend and fellow GRT. I'll post some pics later on today.

And hey, the RAA continues on. It'll be in NYC for the 9/11 Challenge, and then continue its way down the coast and back across the country. If you want to throw a few bucks towards its fundraising efforts, it's never too late!

http://ruckacrossamerica.com/donate-gbf/

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

30 mi? major woots! wow. Proud you must be! Proud we are.

I bought two bricks to start practicing to see if it's for me...

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

30 mi? major woots! wow. Proud you must be! Proud we are.

I bought two bricks to start practicing to see if it's for me...

It Yoda cline hehe... Proud you must be yes! Good luck with those two bricks, show them love and some good livin!

Knight! Awesome man, congrats. You can count on me doing that when I'm and alumni!

Speaking of which people are finally starting to join the Facebook event for my AC in February. So far it looks like 6-7 people, one gentleman has a buddy in the service who will be letting us use his flag that was over in Iraq! A hell of an honor! Also it seems like we have quite a few alumni in my 1am class and we are going to try an get together before hand. I think it will be a hell of an adventure!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

Just officially booked my March 30 Challenge in Venice/Santa Monica and ordered my GR1. There's no turning back now! Can't wait to join the rest of you and start rucking when my GR1 arrives.

homer-woohoo-42.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

Just some pics from my recent leg on the Ruck Across America.

Not a bad way to start the day...

2012-09-02_09-18-32_700.jpg

We were literally about a hundred yards into the journey when we...uh, found a tank.

2012-09-02_09-49-26_187.jpg

...and a memorial...

2012-09-02_09-07-57_638.jpg

...and a ship?!?! (this woulda been a sweet shot, actually. damn finger.)

2012-09-02_10-12-32_121.jpg

And then we got really got on our way...

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

Bunker Hill in sight! A sight for sore feet to be sure. Just a few more miles.

2012-09-02_16-21-20_786.jpg

Aaaaaaaand, finally in town. Stopped off a few classic spot along the Freedom Trail. Like Bunker Hill itself...

2012-09-02_16-46-50_977.jpg

And then off to Old Ironsides!

ironsides.jpg

Stopped in at the famous Engine 50. The guys there were just awesome. They loved the cause, being mostly vets themselves, and several made a cash donation on the spot. They also hooked me and my buddy up with free teeshirts, and gave a patch for the ruck.

(oh, right, about that; fair warning to all you soon to be GRTs, you're about to become total patch *****s. embrace it.)

engine50.jpg

And then, finally, some well-deserved ACRTs at the Bell In Hand, where we were to meet our fellow GRT to pass off the ruck for its next leg of the journey.

(this isn't to say that other well-deserved ACRTs weren't also consumed during the journey, mind you. ;) )

finish.jpg

And the handoff!

passoff.jpg

So that was our day.

PS: still limping. ;)

Aaaaaaaand, finally in town. Stopped off a few classic spot along the Freedom Trail. Like Bunker Hill itself...

2012-09-02_16-46-50_977.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but who is the pimp they made the statue of?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Yay another alumni! Feel free to give us all of the advice and tips you have ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haha, well, here's my best advice:

It will suck, the sooner you stop complaining and making deals with yourself and just embrace it the better. Hour 4(ish) my shoulders were destroyed and I couldn't move. When the sun came up 6+ hours later I had two wet 40-50lbs rucks on and was still grinding out the miles. You can do way more than you think, and it is all mental, your body just gets in the way.

Leading your team is hard, just tell people what to do, it's easier, and when everyone's exhausted, it saves wasted arguments.

Arguing with the cadre is like arguing with your mother, you can't win, you can just prolong the suffering.

All that said, I'll be back for more, just as soon as I stop aching.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

I'm all set and preparing for my first GRC in Atlantic City this February. After that I say we should get a nerd fitness goruck going!

I've had my gr1 and bricks or a few weeks now, I can't wait for good livin... These days whenever im about to do something physically that is tough or that i dont want to do, I repeat in my head " good livin, good livin!"

I'm at my best when the situation is at its worst so I'm looking forward to doing something that will challenge and push me like nothing before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My GR1 arrived last night. It felt like Christmas morning. Anyway, I'm super amped on it and will conveniently be going on a 10 mile hike/bungee adventure tomorrow, so I will have a chance to break it in. I won't be loading up bricks, but it is supposed to reach triple digits, so i'll back a ton of water & food and get a "very small" taste of what is in store.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I survived NYC 2012, am now officially a GRT, the challenge was incredible. Everybody should do one, it really is 99.99% mental.

Edit: Also, that's a sweet GRT flag, awesome job

Congrats, and welcome to the family! :)

Who was your Cadre?

Forgive my ignorance, but who is the pimp they made the statue of?

Col. William Prescott. Legend has it that he's the one that gave the famous "...till you see the whites of their eyes" command.

ok. i'm going to be signing up for the march 30th in santa monica with a friend tomorrow!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Archived