Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Oooh...I like this thread. Erm...can polyamorous folks play here too? I've censored myself already in this forum, carefully wording a post or two to cover my sexuality and partners to avoid...well, any misunderstandings or discomfort.

Hoping to squeeze in here as a fully practicing bisexual if nothing else. :cower:

UGH JEEZ NOT POLY FOLKS </sarcasm>

Welcome to the party! Now for the big question - how do we fit the P for Poly in our QUILTBAG acronym?

Don't write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass

I've definitely noticed stereotyping the other way around. People seem surprised that I have short hair, don't like dresses, don't wear makeup, and I am "still straight". Well, sorry about that, I guess?

I think some people are "scared", or awkward, about the idea of something you can't see. You can see gender in many cases, and you can see race. But you can't see orientation. I think for a lot of people who need labels and things sorted neatly, it's reassuring to think that lesbian = butch and gay guy = swishy. It gives them more imagined control or something.

That, and I also think that the people who break the mould are the ones who get noticed. It's a vicious circle, in the end, because the gay guy who is swishy stands out more, and reinforces the idea that gay guys are like that, while the gay guy who isn't is assumed to be straight and therefore allows people to keep thinking stereotypically.

When I told my friends that I had bought some weights and was going to start working out with them their response was something along the lines of "OMG, how much of a lesbian are you?". Was just wondering if anyone else has to deal with this stereotype or if you've ever had any remarks regarding your sexuality and your workout preferences?

Funnily enough, all the girls i know who work out proper are straight, and i have to hound my lesbian mates to train at all.

I asked them what a lesbian actually looks like to them

Here in Perth there is a specific hair cut that pretty much every lesbian has had at one point or another. It's usually a good indicator. Oh, and hats! :P

EDIT: just read that article, and it smacks of "gay guys are really cool everybody, look at how forward-thinking we all are". It's kind of similar to reading a book where the main character is super judgemental of everyone, except the random black people they meet on the street. The 2nd last paragraph is the only one that feels honest, but then again it's the gay managers basically saying that the fact they're gay isn't what made them good managers...

“I feel like I spend my life explaining that what I’m saying or doing has nothing to do with the fact that I’m gay.”

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Holy balls, there's a pirate themed beard shampoo and conditioner. I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS THREAD!

My thoughts exactly! It seems expensive, but it is Blackbeard's! Might just have to buy some.

Your regular Pantene will just dry out the hair so it gets all bristly, and the skin too, so then you have the added bonus of moustache dandruff. Regular face soap is worse, and never really rinses nicely. The right tool for the job, though, and you'll get all the snogging.

I normally use Skin So Soft body wash on my face/beard when I have it, by the way I need to remember to find an Avon salesperson... Outside of that, I just use Head & Shoulders and haven't noticed any real problems. I do happen to have naturally soft facial hair though, so I may just be lucky.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Here in Perth there is a specific hair cut that pretty much every lesbian has had at one point or another. It's usually a good indicator. Oh, and hats! :P

Part of me is worried this is the "mullet" for a new generation, like gay women have this hair so... GO!

To be fair, when I came out in college I took a #2 shaver to my head and my hair was less than half an inch long for awhile, because I was like, "But this is how people will know I'm gay and want to date me right?"

Don't write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass

To be fair, when I came out in college I took a #2 shaver to my head and my hair was less than half an inch long for awhile, because I was like, "But this is how people will know I'm gay and want to date me right?"

That's exactly why I butched it up after I came out!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

*curious* So... what does the hairstyle look like? Can you post a pic for the curious? And is it *all* hats, or just particular types of hats?

I know fauxhawks are the thing where I live.

An S.O once messaged me this little tidbit when I mentioned wanting to cut my hair XD

They were shocked when I came back a little... hairless.

Warning: major stereotypes and carelessly throws around the word dyke.

lesbian-haircuts.jpg

I almost exclusively wear a pony tail... And I'm a weightlifter... I guess that means I'm a sporty dyke!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

I almost exclusively wear a pony tail... And I'm a weightlifter... I guess that means I'm a sporty dyke!

me too! *high five*

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Maybe this is just me, but I find this feeling exacerbated when I'm at the gym. I mean, I'm pretty out, I live in a liberal place, and I have a female workout partner who is just as bawdy and hilarious as me. But at the same time, the women I don't know... I worry that they think I'm coming on to them or checking them out. Am I crazy? Am I too concerned about others' comfort?

Does this happen to anyone else?

I can definitely understand where you're coming from! I feel like being in the gym is where I am most guarded with how "out" I am... well, that and work, which is a completely different animal altogether. Although in my case, a lot of the guys I saw when I belonged to a gym got my attention - so I worked pretty hard at staring at the ground or ceiling during my workouts.

My membership expired, and I'm doing more at-home stuff at the moment, although I do miss the social aspect of belonging to a gym. The meatheads and gym rats can be irritating, but you can meet a lot of great people, too.

I'm at my (fairly small) gym at off hours, so I see the same folks over and over -- all straight-looking, although I know what happens when I assume.

However! I spotted someone who had QUEERMO written all over them the other day. Literally. Pride shirt that said, "Gayer than the mayor." (And he's pretty gay.) P-QUILTBAGym friend woot!

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon