Forums are back in action! ×

What's YOUR Fandom?

Conquius

Haha, I tend to drift in and out of fandoms because I have a really short attention span but since we're talking about unhealthy levels of obsession, that narrows the list down significantly! Basically, if you ever get me talking about Batman/Batfamily, Harry Potter, or Homestuck, I will not shut up. My sister has (painfully) learned that from first-hand experience. :P

I also used to be crazy into Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts too, but my obsessiveness has died down a bit. :PP

Dr. Who, Firefly, Star Trek... pretty typical.

Since I know there are a few (hundred) Dr. Who fans wandering around, I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get a hold of the older seasons? We've gone through all of the more recent seasons on Netflix, and we really want to go back and see where it all started. Having trouble finding anything.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Dr. Who, Firefly, Star Trek... pretty typical.

Since I know there are a few (hundred) Dr. Who fans wandering around, I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get a hold of the older seasons? We've gone through all of the more recent seasons on Netflix, and we really want to go back and see where it all started. Having trouble finding anything.

Amazon has them on DVD, but they are all out of stock. Some seasons are available on Amazon instant video for $2 an episode unless you are a Prime member, then some are free.

Outside of that, I know of no legal means of getting the original series.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

They aired the entire series? 'Cause my research is telling me that there are big chunks of the earlier seasons that are "lost" as in BBC didn't see a point in storing old tv shows anymore and threw them away.

I found some of the collections that you mentioned on Amazon. All of the "instant play" ones are the same ones you can get on Netflix, which are either grabbed randomly from the middle of the season (Aztecs) or are the season finales from the later seasons. I don't want to watch only the season finale if I can figure out some way of getting my hands on parts of the rest of the season...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Google gave me this information about getting the original series:

Most of the classic series DVD releases are of single stories - which generally means four 25 minute episodes forming one complete stories. Some of the older ones from the 1960's and 1970's had stories with up to 10 or 12 episodes in them.

There have been a few DVD box sets released with 2 or 3 stories in them - for example, there is one box set called 'New Beginning's and it features the Fourth Doctor's last two stories and the Fifth Doctor's first story. There is also a box set of three stories featuring the classic monsters the Sea Devils and the Silurians which consists of two stories from the Third Doctor's reign and one story from the Fifth Doctor.

There are so many stories from the 1963 - 1989 era of Doctor Who that really only a handful have actually been released on DVD and quite a few of the black and white episodes from the 1960's have been completely lost or destroyed.

--EDIT--

If you can decipher it, here's a release schedule from Wikipedia saying what is available and what will be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_DVD_and_Blu-ray_releases

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly/Serenity, Doctor Who (both classic and current; getting into the audiobooks now), Xena, Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl books, James Bond books, Rick Riordan series (Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, and Kane Chronicles)and Neil Gaiman

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

Disney Movies, far and away my biggest obsession. Also, anything that Ewan McGregor has ever done!

Daria is my all time biggest television obsession, I have probably seen every episode more than 50 times. And Dexter, Dr Who, and Community.

All the books by Rick Riordan, Hunger Games, and anything by Madeline L'Engle.

I have so many fandoms but my biggest obsession is definately Sherlock. I knew after I watched just the first few minutes of the first episode that I was a goner. Some of my other less important fandoms would be Pride and Prejudice, Twilight, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galatica, Stargate, and Harry Potter.

Edit: For the Dresden-verse fans, the monument behind me in my avatar is the location where the Red Court was destroyed!

OMG You ruined it for me! I haven't gotten that far in the books yet! *shakes fist*

My fanbase would be Dresden, Babylon 5 and anything by Ed Wood. :D

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

OMG You ruined it for me! I haven't gotten that far in the books yet! *shakes fist*

Oooops...sorry, I didn't think that people wouldn't be that far yet. Don't worry there is still a lot for you read in that book alone!

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/

*takes deep breath*

Star Wars

Star Trek

Firefly

Stargate

Doctor Who

Trigun

Futurama

Invader Zim

My Little Pony

Kingdom Hearts

Assassin's Creed

Mass Effect

Blink 182

Angels and Airwaves

Musicmusicmusicohmahgerdmusic

There are some that I'm missing, I'm sure.

"Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore." ~ ("Pressure makes gems, ease makes decay.") - Mandalorian Proverb

No contest, Babylon 5. I even screen-printed myself a Zeta-Squadron t-shirt complete with station insignia on the front with 'Zeta Squadron' underneath, a Starfury silhouette on the back and the relevant Earthforce logos/service branches on the sleeves. It's getting old now though. I should probably do a few more. Maybe now that I'm in Ranger training I should do an Anla'shok shirt? 'Rangers do it for the one'

Hokay, so...

My current ones would be the Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, Dexter, Sookie Stackhouse novels, Disney movies (especially Aladdin & any Pixar movie), Linkin Park, Incubus, Radiohead, Interpol... a few friends introduced me to Full Metal Alchemist & Firefly, so I'm sure they will soon be added to the list...

Tried & true past ones... Pokemon (obviously), Harry Potter, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Xena, Hercules, X-MEN

Avatar the Last Airbender!!!! And yeah... Whedon gets me (I just started reading Runaways, which he wrote a bunch of... after they make fun of him in it, I love it!)

But yeah, I actually want to cosplay as Katara or Azula once I have the body that NF is helping me accomplish!!

Level 4 Shape Shifting AdventurerSTR: 3.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 6.0CON: 5.75 | WIS: 8.25 | CHA: 7.25

I have so many fandoms but my biggest obsession is definately Sherlock. I knew after I watched just the first few minutes of the first episode that I was a goner.

Sherlock is just one of the best things ever. And I'm re-reading the Conan Doyle stories now, since it's been quite a few years. I love all the little details and lines that the show incorporates.

Other fandoms: All things Whedon, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones (the show, but I'm hoping to start the first novel soon), books by Gaiman and Pratchett, and anything involving Benedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston.

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

The Walking Dead, A Song of Ice and Fire, Georgia Bulldog Football (awaits the awkward silence that ensues....), Dune series, Enders Game series, The Batman trilogy (most recent movies), Bleach at one point but I need to start back up on my episodes and that may be about it. I really dont get to fanatical with things. Georgia Football is a recurring thing because every year I get depressed when College Football as a whole has ended and get super excited about it about to start back up every august. All the other things up there I love to death but after Ive finished with it I may revisit it once or twice but thats about it. I do plan on rereading the Dune and Ender's Game series though at some point.

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Man, the word fandom has so many definitions. I associate it with people who write fanfiction and make Tumblr graphics and get in Tumblr arguments. Which... hey man, if that's your thing, it's your thing. But it's not for me, so I'd never say I have any fandoms. Yet the definition in this post is just really being passionate and OMFG AHHHHH about something, in which case: LET ME SHOW YOU MY LIST OF LOVES, INTERNET.

Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, The Venture Bros, Adventure Time, Arrested Development, The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy (almost any of them), Chrono Trigger, SNES in general, Tori Amos, Joanna Newsom, Kate Bush, Radiohead, Azealia Banks, Goldfrapp, PJ Harvey, Lady Gaga, Transmetropolitan, The Sandman, The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit, A Song of Ice and Fire, Harry Potter... I'd list many more books, but I don't think a non-series book is a "fandom" so much as just something I really love.

Yes, I am really OMFG AHHHH about all of those things/people. I just have a lot of feelings.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wood Elf Adventurer

Level 1

STR +1.5 | DEX +3 | STA +2 | CON +2.5 | WIS +4 | CHA +2

"If you really want a challenge, just deal with yourself." --Tori Amos

[/table]

My main fandoms are probably "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (that includes "The Legend of Korra"), "Firefly," comic book superheroes (both Marvel and DC), "How I Met Your Mother," Mark Tremonti, and everything by Pixar. My obsession with "Breaking Bad" is starting to get a bit unhealthy too, so I may as well add that to the list. I'm also starting to fall in love with the works of Shakespeare, so that may be added pretty soon as well. :)

Edit: No idea how I forgot Tolkien. Love all things Middle-earth.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

Archived