Forums are back in action! ×

Cheap/Free/Borrowed Ebooks?

Absidey

I got an email this morning that the library I borrow ebooks from will no longer lend digital content to non-residents. :blue: The city I live in doesn't have their own library.

Are there any good sources for current, non-terribad ebooks you know of? I supplement my habit with public domain stuff and Barnes and Noble bargains (cringe), but for new and recent releases, the library was the only way without blowing the budget.

I have a Nook, so I can't take advantage of Amazon's Prime library. (Unless there's some way to get Kindle books in pdf or epub format?)

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

Here in Brazil we don't have those libraries at all. It is just sad... yes... but have you thought about converting the format to epub/pdf?

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Do you have anything electronic besides the Nook? There are Kindle reader apps for both computers and phones. If the Nook takes apps, you could probably side-load it onto there like I side-loaded the Nook reader onto my Kindle.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Here in Brazil we don't have those libraries at all. It is just sad... yes... but have you thought about converting the format to epub/pdf?

I think getting around the DRM licensing is the real roadblock on file conversions for books with active copyright.

Do you have anything electronic besides the Nook? There are Kindle reader apps for both computers and phones. If the Nook takes apps, you could probably side-load it onto there like I side-loaded the Nook reader onto my Kindle.

I think the tablet-like nook takes apps, but I have the simple reader, which doesn't.

I'll explore the Kindle app on my phone. It's not entirely comfortable for long books, but better than nothing!

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

95%
95%

Current Challenge

I have a Nook and I can share with you? Just PM me your email address, I might not have anything you want to read but it can't hurt to offer :)

Thanks for the offer! I'm happy to exchange books, too. Just don't laugh at our motley collection! I share with my mom, so if you think something is weird.. she bought it. =)

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

95%
95%

Current Challenge

I think getting around the DRM licensing is the real roadblock on file conversions for books with active copyright.

There is that!

It's quite hard to get new books and such here... You either have to pay a ton of money for a kindle/tablet and then get them on amazon or some other source, or stick with free ebooks or regular books (that are also very expensive - 70 brazilian reais (thats about 40 US dollars) for a regular sized book -- that's if it is on sale )

My thought was more on the side: if you have the book already, having it converted so you can read it. Good luck with finding a suitable app!

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

Thanks for the offer! I'm happy to exchange books, too. Just don't laugh at our motley collection! I share with my mom, so if you think something is weird.. she bought it. =)

XD well I'm sure I have some weird crap too. I haven't quite figured out how to post my library publicly yet... Hmm.

@Shoobie: I've had a nook since they first came out, and let me tell you, DL'ing books was IMPOSSIBLE then. When I tried to read a pirated book it asked for the credit card I used to buy the book, grr. I know it's a lot easier now but it's not exactly legal. eBooks were a lot cheaper then too, I've paid over $15 a few times and that always irritates me, but I'm supporting the publishers I suppose :(

Level 3 Time Lord AdventurerChallenge Thread

| | Cosplay Blog | |

@Laney: I hear you. I am a big supporter of buying books (both ebooks and paper books). I have an ipad and i get my ebooks from the apple store thingy. Only when you convert the currency, it is a big chunk of the budget for most brazilians, thats all. (i'm just being whiny about how much i spend really)

Hey guys, calibre will convert your books for you. I use it for all of my books - bought, shared and pirated. For the bought books it "attaches" the license to it. My boss and i often share books and he has a kindle where i have a sony e-reader. Just convert the books he gives me on calibre.

Also if you want to share you can DM me your email address and i'd be happy to share with you. Just let me know what you'd like and if i have it i will send it to you.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hey guys, calibre will convert your books for you. I use it for all of my books - bought, shared and pirated. For the bought books it "attaches" the license to it. My boss and i often share books and he has a kindle where i have a sony e-reader. Just convert the books he gives me on calibre.

Also if you want to share you can DM me your email address and i'd be happy to share with you. Just let me know what you'd like and if i have it i will send it to you.

I was going to suggest calibre. I have several thousand ebooks for my kindle, but I have absolutely no idea how to share them with people short of giving them a thumb drive. I *gasp* stole them about a year ago, so their aren't any new titles. I've seen the errors of my ways (really, just don't want to dl any more viruses), so now I buy my ebooks from amazon. I would be highly interested in sharing my library if someone could tell me how. And, I'd totally be interested in others libraries.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

My library is pretty small, but I have a few books that plenty of people on here might be interested in. My current kindle library is:

-Good Calories, Bad Calories

-Starting Strength

-The Paleo Solution

-Why We Get Fat: and What to do About it

-Dark Tower 2&3 (4 soon once I finished GCBC)

-All books from A Song of Ice and Fire

-The Hunger Games Trilogy

I don't have a kindle, I just use my phone. I'm happy to lend any of the above out, except for GCBC which I am currently reading.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

If you like SF or Fantasy, Baen books has a free library that supports almost all ereader formats. Also, they don;t charge you hardcover prices for new releases. When the last Honor Harrington book came out, I got it for six dollars and finished it before it hit store shelves.

http://www.baenebooks.com/

Also, a huge collection of SF/Fantasy books that have been released on CD's in hardcover books have been collected at a Baen fan site. It had entire series by authors David Weber, David Drake, Eric Flint, John Ringo, Mercedes Lackey, and more. All DRM free and legal.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Star Captain Allen 

カンタンニã€ã‚¤ã‚«ãƒŠã‚¤ã‚«ãƒ©ã‚¤ã‚­ãƒ†ãƒ¦ã‚±ãƒ«

Kantan ni, ikanai kara ikite yukeru

Because life's not easy, that's why I can live. - Yui

Archived