Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Here's a quick man-question: shaving armpits, yay or nay?

I'm asking for a friend. He lives in Canada. You wouldn't know him. He goes to another school.

I trim my arm pits.  As my hair grows at least 2 inches (maybe 3).  I trim them down to about a 1/2 inch.  It leaves enough hair to maintain the hairy look, but not have the werewolf look.  

Why would you shave your armpits? Unless your like a swimmer or something why shave anything?

I did complete shaving when I was in HS for swimming.  Armpits do itch at first when they come back in, hence the trim to 1/2 inch.  Plus I find its cooler in the summer (probably complete psychological.)  

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Here's a quick man-question: shaving armpits, yay or nay?

I'm asking for a friend. He lives in Canada. You wouldn't know him. He goes to another school.

This isn't a man question. I'm disappointed in all of the above responders. (Never mind that I used to shave my legs when I raced bikes.)

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

+1 for no shaving. Hair is awesome.

Lol hair in moderation is awesome.

I don't see how shaving your pits helps with sweat. Well, maybe it helps with sweat in your pits but you'll just have more sweat running down your torso. Gross.

Summer time means pits, stomach, legs and no no bits get trimmed. Feels cleaner and cooler.
  • Like 1

Summer time means pits, stomach, legs and no no bits get trimmed. Feels cleaner and cooler.

No no bits for the size illusion yes. The rest, no. Then again i live in Britain where everyone is currently going bat-shit crazy coz it might hit 36C (97F). Who knows how many fatalities that will cause.

Less hair means a larger coefficient of convection on the sweat itself from any air movement (wind, or you moving through still air), which translates to the sweat evaporating faster in those areas. This would result in a feeling of being cooler, resulting in less sweat, as well as the illusion that you're sweating less in general on top of that as the sweat would be evaporating more quickly. This all only applies in situations where the area in question is exposed, such as shirtless or in tank tops for the pits.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

No no bits for the size illusion yes. The rest, no. Then again i live in Britain where everyone is currently going bat-shit crazy coz it might hit 36C (97F). Who knows how many fatalities that will cause.

Have you seen how pale we all are? We're a nation of vampires (and not the sparkly type)!

More seriously, it's the humidity more than anything else - and the lack of air conditioning. Our homes are generally geared more towards keeping us warm.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Here's a question for you guys: how do you define yourselves?

I know a lot of people who are known for one particular thing or focus their identity on one particular aspect of themselves. As people, we tend to really gravitate toward wanting to put labels on people and define them by one thing.

Personally, I'm very resistant to letting anyone else put me in a box and define me by one thing. I'm always trying to broaden myself, my skill sets, my hobbies, etc.

How do you define and label yourself? How do others define and label you?

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

Less hair means a larger coefficient of convection on the sweat itself from any air movement (wind, or you moving through still air), which translates to the sweat evaporating faster in those areas. This would result in a feeling of being cooler, resulting in less sweat, as well as the illusion that you're sweating less in general on top of that as the sweat would be evaporating more quickly. This all only applies in situations where the area in question is exposed, such as shirtless or in tank tops for the pits.

hmm… I would think hair would wick away some of the moisture, while increasing the surface area, allowing for more evaporation, thus more cooling (but also more volatile compounds being released into the air i.e. more body odor)

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

hmm… I would think hair would wick away some of the moisture, while increasing the surface area, allowing for more evaporation, thus more cooling (but also more volatile compounds being released into the air i.e. more body odor)

If that was the case, the water or sweat in the hair on your head would air dry faster than that on your skin, but that's never been the case for me with any hair length (buzz/stubble/long). I suspect that the hair actually traps the moisture down near its roots, away from the air circulating around your body, decreasing the rate of evaporation.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

If that was the case, the water or sweat in the hair on your head would air dry faster than that on your skin, but that's never been the case for me with any hair length (buzz/stubble/long). I suspect that the hair actually traps the moisture down near its roots, away from the air circulating around your body, decreasing the rate of evaporation.

Having just cut my hair, it's no where near as long as the picture, I can say that it's insulation more than anything. There's might be some moisture wicking now, or just wind being able to blow through it, but definitely not when it was long. So there might be a diminishing returns thing going on.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Have you seen how pale we all are? We're a nation of vampires (and not the sparkly type)!

More seriously, it's the humidity more than anything else - and the lack of air conditioning. Our homes are generally geared more towards keeping us warm.

Ahh, i'm one of those annoying olive skinned Brits. I'm not a massive fan of this weather but i'm not particularly bothered by it other than at night when the lack of air con makes it very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Here's a question for you guys: how do you define yourselves?

I know a lot of people who are known for one particular thing or focus their identity on one particular aspect of themselves. As people, we tend to really gravitate toward wanting to put labels on people and define them by one thing.

Personally, I'm very resistant to letting anyone else put me in a box and define me by one thing. I'm always trying to broaden myself, my skill sets, my hobbies, etc.

How do you define and label yourself? How do others define and label you?

132074_front.jpg

:D

• Like 7

Bro, I wished it would cool off to 97F...  Its been hotter than that before 9am the last couple of days...

when it's too hot to go outside, you don't get a tan.  Plus skin cancer, blah blah blah...   But it really goes back to the manual labor days, when the rich people stayed inside cause they could afford to pay people to do the outside work, who then got tan (darker.)  So it was a social status symbol to be pasty white just like it was a status symbol to be able to afford enough food to be fat.

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

My 13 year old saw it show up in my Netflix feed, and despite my best efforts to casually try and warn him away from probably the most profanity-laced show I've ever seen, he would not be deterred. Now he constantly quotes Sarge and Caboose, while simultaneously insisting he doesn't pay close enough attention to actually notice anything wildly inappropriate. He's also working on his Vic voice, for when he answers the phone.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.