Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

I really need to learn how to drive a manual.  For years a friend of mine offered to teach me, but we never had our schedules line up enough to make a go of it.  Then we both moved to different states, and I was left with my gimpy automatic.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Automatics are rubbish cars.

I wouldn't say that necessarily - transmissions have come a long way.  Even Ferraris are electronically shifted these days, since the computer can do it so much faster and more accurately than your left foot.  The real benefit to a manual is that it's just fun to row your own gears.  And like I said before, I'm sad about giving it up. ;)

My autos never missed a shift at the track, and I've also found that rock crawling works much better with only 2 pedals.

Totally believe this.

I think I love what driving provides for me. I can drive all over Ireland and visit all of the wonderful places we have here. I love how small Ireland is! And I have mountains on my doorstep, so I can load the dog into the car, drive up the mountains and go for a hike easily enough! While I don't own a particularly nice car, a Fiat Punto, I hope to own something I can be proud of someday, not a muscle car, but maybe some kind of classic car

Go BIG, or go home.

So, I'm growing my beard out again. Any tips? I'll be conditioning and brushing it to try to keep it soft. I looked up a bunch of tips for where to define the neck line which helped a lot, I was planning on doing it way too high.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So, I'm growing my beard out again. Any tips? I'll be conditioning and brushing it to try to keep it soft. I looked up a bunch of tips for where to define the neck line which helped a lot, I was planning on doing it way too high.

Get an extremely good shave before you start with a straight razor or safety razor, that way the end of your whiskers will come out smooth and uniform.  Other than that, check out Art of Manliness if you haven't already.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Art of Maniliness is sorely lacking on this one.  The end of the initial whiskers isn't really important., those are going to dull out as they grow and get brushed. I'm already a weekish in to the new growth.

Also, the reason I'm doing this is that I've noticed guys who lift a lot of weight tend to have beards.  There are 3 possible conclusions to this:

1) Growing a beard makes you lift heavier: This is what I'm hoping for.

2) Lifting heavier makes you grow a beard: In this case I might as well not fight it, I enjoy having a beard anyway.

3) Coincidence/social reasons: Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, but it does increase the chances of such. I understand it might not be causality and just be a coincidence or that social variables could be the driver for the correlation. I'm not taking any chances.

It will all be more bearable if wifey likes the beard. She likes the look, not the feel, so if I can make it pleasant to the touch it will make bearding more enjoyable.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Corey,

Shampoo, conditioner, and baby oil all help soften the beard and keep it clean.  Just be careful not to use too much oil, let it get (and this is the technical term) icky.

Regards,

P

This guy's avatar gives him credibility.  What is this baby oil you speak of? I have had no experience in oiling babies.  What might be the need for this other than making a rousing game of hot potato a bit more difficult?

500 / 330 / 625

This guy's avatar gives him credibility.  What is this baby oil you speak of? I have had no experience in oiling babies.  What might be the need for this other than making a rousing game of hot potato a bit more difficult?

When it comes to oiling babies, some people think you need a certain brand, or a certain mix. Personally, I use whatever is within reach. I really enjoy this one though:

motor-oil.jpg

Corey,

Shampoo, conditioner, and baby oil all help soften the beard and keep it clean.  Just be careful not to use too much oil, let it get (and this is the technical term) icky.

Regards,

P

Ask type wife...but don't use baby oil unless you want to smell wimpy.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

It's silly to think that you'll lift more because of the beard. The truth goes the opposite way -> you'll beard more if you lift!

That's because you actually push out beard from you when you lift.

True story!

p.s. Gentlemen, I present you

!

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

I've yet to try it but r/beards suggests a mixture of Argan Oil/Coconut Milk/Tea Tree Oil in roughly equal parts applied with a stiff shaving brush or the like. I've found just adding shampoo/conditioner to my routine has been greatly helping the quality of my beard. And for once the wife doesn't complain of my beardliness which is awesome.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Oh, the facial forest is much thicker and larger now.  There are some...activities...such as playing Scrabble...that can be enhanced by having a thick, luxurious, majestic beard. 

I've yet to try it but r/beards suggests a mixture of Argan Oil/Coconut Milk/Tea Tree Oil in roughly equal parts applied with a stiff shaving brush or the like. I've found just adding shampoo/conditioner to my routine has been greatly helping the quality of my beard. And for once the wife doesn't complain of my beardliness which is awesome.

That is awesome.  I'll have to try that sometime.

Sidenote: Tea tree oil smells like death and arse.  Tastes like it too--I use it on my nails as a way to weaken my biting habit.

Sometimes I'm saddened by the fact that my beard is not up to super manliness standards and therefore does not have the 'need' for amazing smelling oils to be part of the grooming process.  After a bit of growing out it's just wiry.  Which is why I keep it fairly short (ie: just slightly longer than some people call stubble).  Maybe in another decade it'll thicken up....  A man can dream.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Sometimes I'm saddened by the fact that my beard is not up to super manliness standards and therefore does not have the 'need' for amazing smelling oils to be part of the grooming process.  After a bit of growing out it's just wiry.  Which is why I keep it fairly short (ie: just slightly longer than some people call stubble).  Maybe in another decade it'll thicken up....  A man can dream.

My mustache is terrible, Movember is a month of shame for me compared to my one buddy who grows a Tom Selleck mo in like a week. I've had to wait until now (27) to be able to grow an acceptable beard, and it takes a month to get to that point.

500 / 330 / 625

I've pretty much decided against participating on Movember for that reason.  At 26 I can pull off the short-trimmed beard, but it takes 3-4 weeks to get it grown in.  Since I've had the full goatee/mustache bit, I haven't had the courage to shave it off, lest I look ridiculous if/when I grow it back.  Contrast this to my brother, who at the age of 23 has one of the thickest beards I know of, without even trying. (Though his is spattered with strawberry blonde hair, instead of being solid black/brown like mine.  I think I win in that regard.)

I have a beard even though it's not a thick lush masterpiece of manliness, I keep it trimmed because it isn't thick enough, but it's better than no beard. I've always wanted one and even having a short one is enough for me, it might thicken up as I get older. And I HATE shaving, absolutely hate the maintenance of shaving!

Go BIG, or go home.

The last two-three months i've had a weird development.  On my chin there's a section of hair that, no matter what i do when shaving with my mach 3, there's still a rough patch of stubble that i can feel but you can't see.  anyone else ever experience this?  i've started calling it my chinstrap.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains