Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

To everyone who wants to use a bow for hunting: If you ever shoot at an animal with an arrow, make sure you're also capable of tracking the animal. Most times when an animal is shot with an arrow, it doesn't die instantly (unless, of course, it's a headshot, or the heart) and while I don't hunt, I have friends who do, and you don't want to know how often they've found an animal that was shot with a bow, survived and ran away, to die painfully hours or even days later, never recovered by the hunter.

So what I'm saying is: Bowhunting, fine. Not doing everything you can to recover the animal and not learning the skills necessary to track and find the animal, not fine. Also, not recovering the meat is a giant waste.

That said, as soon as I'm proficient enough with my bow - and have the necessary tracking skills - I'd love to go bowhunting!

I'm with you. I was very impressed at just how much ethics and responsibility was stressed in the safety course. Basically, it all came down to this: if you can't get a clean kill, don't take the shot. Once you take the shot, if you aren't willing to track the animal safely, put it down, and harvest the meat, you shouldn't be hunting.

By the way, it might not be amiss to take a sidearm when hunting--bow or otherwise--for personal defense and mercy kills.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

I'm with you. I was very impressed at just how much ethics and responsibility was stressed in the safety course. Basically, it all came down to this: if you can't get a clean kill, don't take the shot. Once you take the shot, if you aren't willing to track the animal safely, put it down, and harvest the meat, you shouldn't be hunting.

By the way, it might not be amiss to take a sidearm when hunting--bow or otherwise--for personal defense and mercy kills.

A former brother-in-law of mine once had to climb up a tree to finish off a squirrel that survived the arrow shot (and still had the arrow in it).

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Completely true!

About the sidearm, that would be a great idea - if possible. I live in Europe, and while it's different in each country, in general it's VERY gun unfriendly, and where I live it is, so it's almost impossible to acquire a gun legally.

Hunting is frowned upon where I live, looked upon as something only crazy sadists would like to do, so no hunting for me unfortunately. Of course, if I go to another country, I can go hunting, including bowhunting, after a LOT of money.

So yeah, my bows are only for sporting use. And I just pray nobody finds out about my knife collections. Or my (legal) black powder shotgun. As that would be the end of most social relations...

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Completely true!

About the sidearm, that would be a great idea - if possible. I live in Europe, and while it's different in each country, in general it's VERY gun unfriendly, and where I live it is, so it's almost impossible to acquire a gun legally.

Hunting is frowned upon where I live, looked upon as something only crazy sadists would like to do, so no hunting for me unfortunately. Of course, if I go to another country, I can go hunting, including bowhunting, after a LOT of money.

So yeah, my bows are only for sporting use. And I just pray nobody finds out about my knife collections. Or my (legal) black powder shotgun. As that would be the end of most social relations...

I know that even bow-hunting is illegal in some European countries, but I thought Europe was generally, if not gun-friendly, at least hunter-friendly. I hate that you have to move to a different country just to hunt. 

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

A former brother-in-law of mine once had to climb up a tree to finish off a squirrel that survived the arrow shot (and still had the arrow in it).

Good on him, and major badass points for actually climbing the tree.

I went hunting with a friend who shot a squirrel with his shotgun. The squirrel fell in a nearby creek, just off the bank. He finished it with a .22 shot.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

I know that even bow-hunting is illegal in some European countries, but I thought Europe was generally, if not gun-friendly, at least hunter-friendly. I hate that you have to move to a different country just to hunt. 

Well, I'm in Western Europe. It's better in Eastern Europe.

The country I live in is almost entirely urbanized, and you definitely notice a difference in opinion if you go to the less urbanized areas.

For example, I go to France pretty regularly. In the cities, people absolutely loathe hunting - there are some exceptions, of course - but whenever I go to the village where my parents have a 2nd home, almost everyone hunts. Over there, it's a way of life. 

But there aren't a lot of people back home who like guns - or maybe I've just been hanging with the wrong crowd...

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

I live in the UK. This means, outside of television and films, I've never even seen a real gun - at least, not in this country. I am very happy for things to stay this way as I rather like the idea of not being shot, but if I could obtain a handgun - legally or not - would I want one? Hell yes.

Bizarrely, I don't think I could ever use one on a living thing without damned good reason. But I'd like to be able to if that reason turned up. And I find the mechanics behind them fascinating. Strange that the basic design hasn't really changed in a century - it's still about whacking a small explosive charge to propel a piece of metal out of a tube. Still no digital guns...

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Digital guns? They are totally here:

I've tried making one of those, still got (most) of the parts... Would be a nice project in the summer.

But yeah, if I could, I'd absolutely love to own some guns. 

Also, I need to be able to defend myself from the imminent and unavoidable zombie apocalypse.  ;)

I live in the UK. This means, outside of television and films, I've never even seen a real gun - at least, not in this country. I am very happy for things to stay this way as I rather like the idea of not being shot, but if I could obtain a handgun - legally or not - would I want one? Hell yes.

Bizarrely, I don't think I could ever use one on a living thing without damned good reason. But I'd like to be able to if that reason turned up. And I find the mechanics behind them fascinating. Strange that the basic design hasn't really changed in a century - it's still about whacking a small explosive charge to propel a piece of metal out of a tube. Still no digital guns...

I feel bad now, 'cause I live in the UK and I've seen/handled all sorts (missus) :)

My favourite was going up to visit my father recently and there being a friggin' WWII anti aircraft gun in the back garden.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I feel bad now, 'cause I live in the UK and I've seen/handled all sorts (missus) :)

My favourite was going up to visit my father recently and there being a friggin' WWII anti aircraft gun in the back garden.

Since I don't have a father either (walked out on us when I was very small and I have no idea where he is now - or care) I'm open to adoption. He can show me guns, I'll sort out any computer problems. And I can assemble flat pack furniture too.

While I don't own any guns, I have shot them, and it was fun. And ever since I shot them, I want my own. Which is not gonna happen.  :(

Bizarrely, I don't think I could ever use one on a living thing without damned good reason. But I'd like to be able to if that reason turned up. 

Totally agree, don't think that that's bizarre at all. Nobody should be able to use a gun on someone without a damned good reason.

But, what is everyone's view on self defense? What's acceptable and when?

For example, during a burglary: Attack the burglar to protect yourself and your stuff, or hide/try to leave and let the burglar do his thing?

For example, during a burglary: Attack the burglar to protect yourself and your stuff, or hide/try to leave and let the burglar do his thing?

The way I plan to handle a burglary if we're at home is to get my stepson from his room and hunker down in the master bedroom with everbody & call the police. There's nothing in the rest of the house that's worth my getting into a violent altercation over. That said, with everyone in the master bedroom I'm going to assume that anybody else who comes poking down around that area is looking to do more than just make off with some material belongings, and respond accordingly.

This is a good podcast http://www.palladium-education.com/practicaldefense.shtml.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Totally agree, don't think that that's bizarre at all. Nobody should be able to use a gun on someone without a damned good reason.

But, what is everyone's view on self defense? What's acceptable and when?

The lack of guns in the UK makes this a very curious case. Burglars are practically never armed here. As a child we were burgled, and the miscreants were frightened off by the cat. Seriously - he was a big cat and the stairs were creaky. Poor cat was found the next morning hiding under the bed.

In America, seems damned near everyone has guns - so you really have three choices. Shoot at them, leave them to it... or attempt to make a citizen's arrest?

The lack of guns in the UK makes this a very curious case. Burglars are practically never armed here. As a child we were burgled, and the miscreants were frightened off by the cat. Seriously - he was a big cat and the stairs were creaky. Poor cat was found the next morning hiding under the bed.

In America, seems damned near everyone has guns - so you really have three choices. Shoot at them, leave them to it... or attempt to make a citizen's arrest?

Pretty much, yeah. Here's my protocol for an intrusion:

1. Get the wife to a safe place, secure her there.

2. Grab firearm. I keep my .22 pistol in my nightstand drawer. I also have a loaded 12-gauge shotgun and an SKS in my office. Why so many guns? Ease of access. Please know that I do NOT have children in my home, or else these would be kept unloaded, or at locked up. Also, when we're going to be gone for longer than a day, I unload all weapons and stow the ammo in a safe place (the .22 I take with me, for personal defense, if we're traveling at night and/or long-distances).

3. Staying at the master bedroom door--essentially the back of my house, shout a verbal warning and inform the intruder that I am armed and prepared to defend myself. By this time, the wife in on the phone with 911.

4. If they leave, it's over. Let them run. No need to be a hero and bring the burglar to justice. If they don't leave, advance on their position with gun sighted. Thankfully, there is plenty of cover down our main hallway (plus two more loaded weapons), so on the VERY slight chance that they are armed and they shoot first I can respond.

5. The burglar is likely unarmed, so when they see me pointing a gun at them, they'll either run or give up. If they give up, hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive and then turn them over to the authorities.

99.99% of the time, the burglar will run away as soon as they see a gun. If they fight back, then they get shot. No warning shot, two to the chest. The thing is, even if they're visibly unarmed, they might have a gun on them if they make a move to fight back. If the intruder does get shot, then you immediately report it to 911 dispatch.

Thankfully, this will probably NEVER happen. Most robberies around here take place during the day at homes with no vehicle in the driveway (primarily because thieves KNOW that people around here are armed). However, I like to at least have a plan in place. Meth+desperation=a very brave burglar, so you never know.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

2. Grab firearm. I keep my .22 pistol in my nightstand drawer. I also have a loaded 12-gauge shotgun and an SKS in my office. Why so many guns? Ease of access. Please know that I do NOT have children in my home, or else these would be kept unloaded, or at locked up. Also, when we're going to be gone for longer than a day, I unload all weapons and stow the ammo in a safe place (the .22 I take with me, for personal defense, if we're traveling at night and/or long-distances).

3. Staying at the master bedroom door--essentially the back of my house, shout a verbal warning and inform the intruder that I am armed and prepared to defend myself. By this time, the wife in on the phone with 911.

4. If they leave, it's over. Let them run. No need to be a hero and bring the burglar to justice. If they don't leave, advance on their position with gun sighted. Thankfully, there is plenty of cover down our main hallway (plus two more loaded weapons), so on the VERY slight chance that they are armed and they shoot first I can respond.

5. The burglar is likely unarmed, so when they see me pointing a gun at them, they'll either run or give up. If they give up, hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive and then turn them over to the authorities.

99.99% of the time, the burglar will run away as soon as they see a gun. If they fight back, then they get shot. No warning shot, two to the chest. The thing is, even if they're visibly unarmed, they might have a gun on them if they make a move to fight back. If the intruder does get shot, then you immediately report it to 911 dispatch.

Thankfully, this will probably NEVER happen. Most robberies around here take place during the day at homes with no vehicle in the driveway (primarily because thieves KNOW that people around here are armed). However, I like to at least have a plan in place. Meth+desperation=a very brave burglar, so you never know.

Fuck, I don't even lock my back door.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Burglars round here rarely have a gun, and if they have one, it's illegal. They are, however, almost always armed with a knife or baseball bat or something like that, so I'd probably just call the cops and do my best to not engage in a fight - in a knife fight, everyone gets hurt. A lot. Which sucks.

But if they came with violent intent? Fuck, i'm not going to die alone. My bedroom is on the top floor of my house, so if they are in the house, I can either confront them, or I can jump out of the window, break my legs and be utterly defenseless. I'll take my chances with the burglar(s).

2. Grab firearm. I keep my .22 pistol in my nightstand drawer. I also have a loaded 12-gauge shotgun and an SKS in my office. Why so many guns? Ease of access. Please know that I do NOT have children in my home, or else these would be kept unloaded, or at locked up. Also, when we're going to be gone for longer than a day, I unload all weapons and stow the ammo in a safe place (the .22 I take with me, for personal defense, if we're traveling at night and/or long-distances)...

I approve of having no children.

One disadvantage of so many guns - you have a hypothetical burglar searching the place. If these guns are not secured, you'd be best to assume that any burglar has already found one of your weapons when you go to confront them.

If someone breaks into my house, I do not plan on giving them the chance to run away safely. I have known people that have done this, and the perp returned later (armed) and ransacks the house at a later date. I will pull my weapon on them, order them to the floor, and let the cops come arrest him. If they try and do anything but, I fully plan on shooting. You see, the thing about guns is; never pull one unless you are fully ready to take a life. 

Fuck, I don't even lock my back door.

Let me guess, you're Canadian? Something with Canadians and not locking doors...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Let me guess, you're Canadian? Something with Canadians and not locking doors...

To be fair, I grew up not locking my doors and I'm not Canadian (at least if we discount heritage).  Then again, I grew up in the back woods of no where, so that may influence that...

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

To be fair, I grew up not locking my doors and I'm not Canadian (at least if we discount heritage).  Then again, I grew up in the back woods of no where, so that may influence that...

Good job stickin' to your roots.

I kid, I kid.  I used ot vacation in Canada and we always had a good time making fun of each other up there.

As for home invasions, I have a softball bat next to my bed (until I get my hands on a Loiusville slugger) and I sleep bare ass. Most burglers aren't stickin' around to deal with a 260 lb naked man with a bat.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Ha, yes I am.  And I live in the middle of nowhere Canada too.

Are you scared of the dark?

500 / 330 / 625

No, the sun goes away too much in the winter to live here if you are scared of the dark.

Plus, there's no windows in my igloo.

Oh, I figured it was true for all of you.  There's a whole HIMYM episode on it.

500 / 330 / 625