Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from another Aussie nerdling

Hey everyone!

I'm a nursing student based in Brisbane and found NF about 2 months ago when I started seriously thinking about getting stronger to avoid the dreaded nursing back injuries (very common unfortunately). I have to say that this is the most motivated and inspired I've ever felt when it comes to getting fit. I love the body weight strength training and have gotten back into biking since I can't run atm (shin splints still haunt me). Even though it's only been a few months I feel stronger than I have ever felt.

The fact that I can proclaim my love for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Yoshi, old PC games and anything fantasy/sci-fi/comicy related without being met with eye-rolling makes this such an awesome community and I'm looking forward to doing some challenges in the future (and chin-ups!).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]LVL 1 RANGER

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Respect your body - Fit is not a destination, it is a way of life

Hey Mim, nice to meet you, I'm new too and I'm in Perth. And I can totally relate on the nursing back injuries funtimes! I have been a vet nurse for 6 years, and although animals are different, I bet we have both dealth with a lot of heavy sick patients who are super awkward to lift without hurting but need moving regularly. My personal favourite is when a chiro/physio says "LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS!" and I'm like "When the St Bernard is seizuring, you lift with everything you've got to avoid everybody in the room getting their skull fractured by the flailing furry tree trunk limbs, and that usually includes your poor pathetic back muscles".

Hope to

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Get a routine

Level 1 | Strength: 1 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 2 | Constitution: 3 | Wisdom: 4 | Charisma: 4

"I refer to my hands, feet and body as the tools of the trade. The hands and feet must be sharpened and improved daily to be efficient." Bruce Lee

Hi! Im an Aussie Newbie too:)

So good to see so many Australians on these forums, kind of nice to know we're not alone...

Im in Perth and a huge advocate of developing core strength to avoid back injuries!

RANGERLevel 1

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 3 Con: 2 Wis: 2 Cha: 3

"Not a sprinter, but with some endurance. Not a warrior, but with some strength. Not a monk, but with some moves!"

My personal favourite is when a chiro/physio says "LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS!" and I'm like "When the St Bernard is seizuring, you lift with everything you've got to avoid everybody in the room getting their skull fractured by the flailing furry tree trunk limbs, and that usually includes your poor pathetic back muscles".

Hope to

Haha I know!! "When the obese patient is aspirating you gotta use everything you got regardless of your weak core!" I think animals would be a lot more unpredictable...but they are a lot cuter :)

Thanks Athena, that gives me hope :) I'm doing negative pull-ups at the moment since I'm still way too weak to pull myself up yet but I'll get there!

And yes Dayzee I'm all about the core strength too, it's so important...my lower back pain has really decreased since I started doing planks and push-ups!!

So good to see so many Australians on these forums, kind of nice to know we're not alone[/quote

Whenever i see a fellow perthian im all "hmmm where have i seen this person before?". Then i remember the city has over a million people living in it and i dont go out a whole lot :P

sounds like deadlifts might be just the ticket for you nurses and hauling deadweights off the ground/table. check out the warrior threads and try out some gyms yo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Hi! Welcome! I'm new as well... as of a few minutes ago : )

I am a physical therapy student and, like you, am always trying to avoid those mechanical injuries to my own body! Let's keep our backs safe and strong! Best of luck to you on your fitness adventures! :encouragement:

~J :apple:

The fact that I can proclaim my love for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Yoshi, old PC games and anything fantasy/sci-fi/comicy related without being met with eye-rolling makes this such an awesome community and I'm looking forward to doing some challenges in the future (and chin-ups!).

It's not the eye-rolling that gets me, it's the blank stares. Glad you could join in. I'm fairly new too, and like you, I feel so much better since I've been "here".

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived