Forums are back in action! ×

Asking a Girl Out

AlterStephen

So there's this girl at work who has caught my eye (we've both only worked there for a couple weeks). The other day while eating lunch, she came over and sat next to me (even though we had only briefly met once a few days prior) and we had a pretty cool conversation. I'm hoping to ask her out, but I'm not exactly good at this, haha.

So, girls, what do you think? I'm thinking of taking her on a picnic, an idea which my sister seems to be emphatically in support of. Any other ideas?

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

Well, I would start with a lunch date outside of work, if possible. Although, she's more-than-likely interested, since she made the move to sit next to you. The picnic idea is super cute. If you can pull it off, go for it!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Guest Snake McClain

Simple: You do this.

The next time you are talking and no one is around (so it isn't awkward) You smile. Be confident. Look her in the eye (not creepy like) and say, "I want to take you out for a date." Then let her respond. Simple. No pick up lines. no flash. just be brief and confident and it will either happen or it won't. Don't think too much about it. don't wait around to be sure. Just do it.

The next time you are talking and no one is around (so it isn't awkward) You smile. Be confident. Look her in the eye (not creepy like) and say, "I want to take you out for a date." Then let her respond. Simple. No pick up lines. no flash. just be brief and confident and it will either happen or it won't. Don't think too much about it. don't wait around to be sure. Just do it.

This is so true I will not only second it, but I shall third it too.

Do not forget the smile

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I agree with leadchipmunk...Snake has given such epic advice that I shall fourth and fifth his post. Best advice on asking someone out, period.

And as leadchipmunk says, don't forget the smile. :)

Good luck!

Guest Snake McClain

oh yeah and as an additive, wait for her to answer if she wants to go with you. then YOU DECIDE the what and where. do something creative. no movies on the first date. go eat at some point...

...oh and there is sort of a trick to making someone feel like they've spent more time with you than they really have.

1st you go to get dinner. something light. not a big giant meal.

2nd you then drive somewhere for desert. like ice cream. eat the ice cream while going for a walk.

3rd then you go somewhere else (if you are 21 and older go for drinks).

this makes you both feel as if you've spent more time together than you actually have. its good for both of you. multiple shared experiences in a short amount of time. make sure to have a good conversation with open ended questions. not yes/no answerable quesitons.

things like : What's your favorite holiday? why is it your favorite holiday. etc.

Guest Snake McClain
THIS.

And one other thing: LISTEN. Don't just wait for her to stop talking. (I've made that mistake many times.)

absolutely LISTEN! listen to and CARE about what she says. If you can't do this then you have no business dating ANYONE. but i think you have that part down probably.

Asking a Girl Out

So there's this girl at work who has caught my eye (we've both only worked there for a couple weeks). The other day while eating lunch, she came over and sat next to me (even though we had only briefly met once a few days prior) and we had a pretty cool conversation. I'm hoping to ask her out, but I'm not exactly good at this, haha.

So, girls, what do you think? I'm thinking of taking her on a picnic, an idea which my sister seems to be emphatically in support of. Any other ideas?

Ummmm, Maybe you need to check what the company policy is on dating? I know a lot of people meet their significant others at work but it could be a bit tricky. Just a heads up before you continue.

Race: Mul (Dark Sun, AD&D)

Profession: Battle Monk

Level:1

Str/4 Dex/3 Con/4 Wis/2 Cha/2

I'd go against the grain and lead with:

"Nice lips... wanna kiss?"... look her in the eyes (not creepy-like)... smile... and wait for her to respond... it works the same for me but it's more direct and lets me know right away whether she wants to go there with me... hahaha... must be willing to take rejection to take this tack, but it worked for me way back in the day.

Good luck bro... ;-)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

"Nice lips... wanna kiss?"... look her in the eyes (not creepy-like)... smile... and wait for her to respond... it works the same for me but it's more direct and lets me know right away whether she wants to go there with me... hahaha... must be willing to take rejection to take this tack, but it worked for me way back in the day.

Good luck bro... ;-)

Wow... that's a brave, brave, move, and fair play to you if you can pull that off - success or failure. Thing is, though, I don't think that's a tactic that would work for everyone (by which I mean I don't think it would work for me) or with everyone. I think the exact approach to take in asking someone out on a date depends on your culture, on your character and nature, and on that of your intended. That kind of approach would just be so far out of character for me that it would seem inauthentic at best, and probably sleazy at worst. It's not something that I'd have the charisma or the chutzpah to carry off. I'm not sure that everyone would respond well to it, either.

Mind you, I've never unambiguously asked anyone out in my entire life, and because my partner asked me before I got round to asking her, I hope never to have to. So I'm certainly no expert on this. But my own plan (never used) was to ask her if she could help me with a dilemma. The dilemma being that I wasn't sure whether I should ask her out or not. It's a bit indirect, a bit tentative, a bit.... wet, but that's the kind of person I am. And perhaps ultimately however you approach these things, it's got to be authentic.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Good luck bro... ;-)

LOL!!! Gotta say, I'd answer no. If I were in a good mood, I'd laugh at you; if not, expect a rude answer.

Agree with Athena, it's way too soon for this kind of bold approach. Sounds a bit sleazy... go with the picnic, it's way nicer.

LOL!!! Gotta say, I'd answer no. If I were in a good mood, I'd laugh at you; if not, expect a rude answer.

Agree with Athena, it's way too soon for this kind of bold approach. Sounds a bit sleazy... go with the picnic, it's way nicer.

That line totally works if you're already in a fifth of tequila (well perhaps that's just what it takes for that line to work for me...)

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

I'm a big backer of not asking girls out too soon and being friends first. It's what always worked best back in the day. There were plenty of girls I thought I liked and ended up not (romantically) after getting to know them better, or realized we didn't have enough in common for it to work. Friends first, then should you decide to date it goes so easily with a ton less pressure.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived