Forums are back in action! ×

What (positive) mental games do you play during workouts!

RandomWanderer

So I wanted to see the type of mental games we all use during our workouts. For example when doing reps I don't count 1-8 or 1-10 etc, I usually count 1-5 x however much I need I meet the amount of reps I need.

I've found that I can do three counts of 5 better then one 15 set, and its all mental, since I'm doing the same number. I'll have less pain and trouble, simply by playin that little mental game.

What are yours?

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Counting reps is no problem for me, on the bigger assistance sets I'll cue myself to half way, then "only 5 to go" sort of thing. I find I loose track of sets when doing more than 3 though, and I need to mark them off as I go. I kept forgetting if that was set 3 or set 4? So to be sure I don't underwork I'll do the extra set.

When doing things like planks though, I need to send my mind elsewhere. I think about driving down a twisty road in my dream car, or what I'll eat once I've finished the workout. Lately I just focus intently on my breathing for as long as I can. Anything to get my mind out of the moment!

I act like my own trainer. Let's say I'm doing bench and I'm at my last set, so it's usually a hard 8. It's getting really difficult, I'm losing strength, so I tell myself "get to 6, get to 6". But as soon as I get to 6 I think "do two more!". Idk, it helps haha.

And as Lachy said, for planks I can't think about time. Usually when I do planks I'm listening to music so I just focus on the lyrics.

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

Today I pretended I was a norse god in my mind. The thought process was a little crazy but it was damn inspirational.

More specifically I was an einherjar working to earn his spot at the mead hall in Valhalla. So I wasn't a specific God but I invoked each of them by name and offered my sweat and tears as sacrifice for their boons of strength, speed and stamina.

edit: I should mention. I worked till I vomitted today. afterwards I looked up and felt warm and good on the inside. I made my ancestors proud.

Today I pretended I was a norse god in my mind. The thought process was a little crazy but it was damn inspirational.

More specifically I was an einherjar working to earn his spot at the mead hall in Valhalla. So I wasn't a specific God but I invoked each of them by name and offered my sweat and tears as sacrifice for their boons of strength, speed and stamina.

edit: I should mention. I worked till I vomitted today. afterwards I looked up and felt warm and good on the inside. I made my ancestors proud.

awesome!

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

I act like my own trainer. Let's say I'm doing bench and I'm at my last set, so it's usually a hard 8. It's getting really difficult, I'm losing strength, so I tell myself "get to 6, get to 6". But as soon as I get to 6 I think "do two more!". Idk, it helps haha.

And as Lachy said, for planks I can't think about time. Usually when I do planks I'm listening to music so I just focus on the lyrics.

Both are activities I do in some form. Definitely acting as my own trainer and pushing pushing pushing! But, as for the Norse God... I don't necessarily chose that. I will imagine being a superhero of some sort.

In a sort of combination of the two, I will imagine someone I view as indestructible and limitless to be my trainer and its along the lines of "How do you expect to roll with the big boys if you can't even get to 20?" but... ya know, applied to the universe of that figure.

Any mental game is effective! Anything to distract you from the actual labor :P

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

I play a variety of counting games.. depending on what needs to get done. I also like to make up silly cues for myself during lifts... like front squats--> blast off!

When I have to do something cardio related I break down the time in fractions. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, done.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I play a variety of counting games.. depending on what needs to get done. I also like to make up silly cues for myself during lifts... like front squats--> blast off!

When I have to do something cardio related I break down the time in fractions. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, done.

Have you tried KAPOOOSH! for a cue? I bet that would get you going! It makes me want to workout just thinking it!

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

I've found that I can do three counts of 5 better then one 15 set, and its all mental, since I'm doing the same number.

Someting pretty similar here: I break my sets down into fractions so that when I'm getting tuckered I can say to myself, "Bitch, whazza problem? Only 1/8 of the way to go!" One eighth just sounds so tiny, of course I can get that.

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

Have you tried KAPOOOSH! for a cue? I bet that would get you going! It makes me want to workout just thinking it!

HA! I will now!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

When I'm at the end of my rope, I remind myself of the line I've put in my signature: "what I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness." That fact has propelled me to quite a few breakthroughs. I stop being concerned with things like "You CAN do this," (because the nasty giving-up-voice inside of me always answers 'no I can't') and instead get to a point of "you are stubborn; you don't stop until your body gives out!" and it's no longer up to me whether to keep going - I just keep going until I don't.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

For Capoeira I don't even need any kind of mental game - it's so much fun, so I don't want to give up. I just push myself harder so I can be even better and enjoy it even more.

For cardio I break it into fractions, makes it easier to motivate myself to keep going. (I hate cardio, even when I was good at it)

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

I break up reps in smaller sets for things like push ups russian ab twists that sort of thing where I am doing a high amount of reps helps me a ton. For strength training I do a 5x5 so taht doesn't helps as much. But I do find that I talk to myself saying things like "Dont be a p**** Ryan one more rep" (especially on my 4th and 5th sets in my strength exercises) pretty often.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

For really heavy squats and deads, I like to pretend I'm lifting a boulder or a car off of someone I love... It's kinda messed up, but for that last rep, I just ask myself "Really? You're going to let *person* die because you're not strong enough to pick up a little rock?"

I also make a lot of noise... not sure if that's a mental game, but something about a primal grunt as you grind out that last rep seems to help.

Battle Log

Fat Kid Turned Personal Trainer, Lifestyle + Nutrition Coach

http://www.kentmccannfitness.com for more!

Also on Twitter, FB, and Fitocracy!

Archived