Forums are back in action! ×

Kilimanjaro

Morganio

I am planning a trip to Kilimanjaro next fall (12-13 months from now). Has anyone here climbed Kilimanjaro? I am looking for some advice on routes/trekking companies. I do a lot of hiking and am pretty fit, but I haven't done anything at altitude. I was thinking of doing one of the longer routes (7-8 days instead of 5) in order to give myself more of a chance to acclimatize. So far the Lemosho route looks like the best options, because it is less popular, allows for more acclimatization and has good views.

Adventurer- Level 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 4 DEX 1 STA 4 CON 2 WIS 2 CHA 2

Hi Morganio!

I live in Kenya, and I've always really liked hiking (did 12 days in Germany once). I've not had much of a chance to hike here in Kenya, what with my work schedule and all. As for Kilimanjaro, that's a great destination for hiking. I don't know much about the mountain's routes, sadly.

And if you're passing through Kenya on your way to Tanzania, please say hello! :-)

All the best!

Level 1 Human-High Elf Adventurer of Awesomeness

Bikini on a Beach (2013 BHAG)   |   Miss K's Battle Log | Challenge 1- 2013

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 |   STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3   | CH: 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~ Everyone's always telling you to be humble. When was the last time someone told you to be great?

And what's your dream of happiness? ~~

Hey! My husband and I are also looking at possibly doing this next year (2014 for us). We haven't started making any firm plans yet - but we were also thinking about doing a safari at the same time. Kind of a do-it-all tour. Keep me posted if you find anything out, and I will do the same!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with Kilimanjaro.  I'm looking to do a big vacation in the July/August timeframe this summer, and Hiking Kilimanjaro is something that stuck me as something that would be really awesome to do.  Any recommended groups to go with(or avoid)?

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I climbed Kilimanjaro in June 2010, and can highly recommend Zara Tours

I climbed the Rongai route with five other people, taking 5 days to ascend and 2 days to descend. We added an extra day (the fifth day) to acclimatize to the elevation. If you aren't used to exercise at high elevations, I'd recommend doing the same.

One thing to note: For those of you who are used to eating a Paleo Diet, a climb such as this might present some additional challenges. Typically, the meals are pre-set, and are fairly low on fats and proteins, fairly high on simple carbohydrates. I was hungry throughout the trip, and if I did it again, would be sure to pack my own "stash" of trail food.

If you guys have any other questions, such as what clothes to pack or what routes to climb, please let me know. 

Hopefully this helped!

Interested in traveling, personal wellness, and learning - currently blogging at travelnwellness.com

This seems like common sense, but... Make sure you have very very well broken in shoes.  You do not want open blisters in this trek of all treks.  Lots and lots and lots of dust.

I know someone who did the trek with blisters.  She wore 6 Compeeds on each foot and Goretex socks.  She didn't take off the socks once until after the trek, because that was the only way to keep them clean.

Have you looked into the Northern Route at all?  I've thought of someday doing Kilimanjaro, and I'm pretty sure I'd choose the Northern or Lemosho route.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Archived