Forums are back in action! ×

Taking the Plunge...

Hi everybody,

I stumbled across NF a few weeks ago and, with some awesome support from online friends, decided to nerd up and join. I'll likely get some odd looks from my coworkers and family members, but they'll eventually shrug it off as another of my "quirks", so long as I don't start doing pushups at work.

I'm 29 years old, 5'9" if I don't slouch, and somewhere around 200 lbs, though I've learned to hide it with clothing fairly well. I've always had a bit of a stomach, so my parents tell me, but it stayed fairly constant during high school and college. Once I graduated and took up employment as a bank teller, everything just went downhill. Apparently, standing for 9 hours and coming home to video games and online courses isn't enough to stay in shape. Who knew? /sarcasm

After 2 years of false starts, I've decided to really make some changes. I've tried P90X (I'm sure it's a great system, but I can't seem to get through a full week, even on the Lean program), Brazil Butt Lift (Also probably good for me, I just felt ridiculous doing the motions, even in the isolation of my own apartment) and hiking in the local state park (Having people older than my parents pass me while we're both walking is just depressing), among other things.

The system and sheer number of resources here on NF is humbling... and inspiring. Reading other people's posts and struggles, I feel like part of many instead of that odd person standing in the corner, wishing she understood what was going on. I can see that people have been in my shoes (ladies' 9, wide) and have come out of that place feeling stronger, faster, and better about themselves.

Right now, I'm looking into Parkour and the Paleo lifestyle. I'm rather fond of my English muffins, so it might be a struggle to wean myself off grains, but the logic seems sound and any dietary lifestyle that lets me have steak for breakfast can't be all that bad.

I might not post a lot at first, but I'll be reading. Happy questing, NF!

Night Elf Feral Assassin

Level 2

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Previous Challenges: 0 I Ashes in Ashenvale Current Challenge: Sleuthing in Stormtalon

Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé. - le Renard

"The Price of Discipline is always less than the Pain of Regret." -Nido Qubein

The oddest thing about eating paleo is that the english muffins, donuts, et al don't seem to have the same hold over you that they did before...which always makes me wonder what's in them??? I haven't gone fully paleo; I still have milk in my coffee (or a little coffee in my milk as gramme would have said). I also eat the occassional potato, wild rice or brown rice. Still, I feel so much better, and I'm losing weight at long last. I'm totally "out there" in my office, sort of the lone geek in my black mask. I'm used to blank stares at my geeky-references and keep going. There loss, not mine, right? Hit the forums and join in.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I've got some geeks in the office, but I still anticipate some odd looks when they find out I've gone Paleo.

I've noticed what you meant about grains. I stopped eating donuts and pastries a few weeks ago and now I can't even stomach the thought of eating one. I look at them and wonder what I ever saw in them that was worth eating.

Night Elf Feral Assassin

Level 2

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Previous Challenges: 0 I Ashes in Ashenvale Current Challenge: Sleuthing in Stormtalon

Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé. - le Renard

"The Price of Discipline is always less than the Pain of Regret." -Nido Qubein

Archived