Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings to all Rebels!

I have been into weight loss since January 2009. I never really knew how much I was weighting, never really cared. I always was the "fat girl". At 12 years old, I was at 150 pounds for 5'4 and the weight just kept adding every year. We never had a scale at home so the only time I was weighting myself was at my annual doctor's appointment. Every year, she told me I gained weight and every year I didn't care. Then January 19th 2009 happened. I was at my friend's house and she had a scale. I was curious, I stepped on it... and saw "195". Almost 200. It gave me that push I needed and I start dieting.

Like a lot of people, I just wanted the pounds to drop and drop fast. I didn't like exercising at the time, I was walking from home to school everyday but that was all. I found the Dukan's protein diet and dropped 40 pounds in 14 weeks. Do I need to say I almost gained everything back when I returned to my old habbits? I didn't learned much, but that proteins were important. Since then I tried several methods and, well, pounds continued dropping. In April of this year, I was at 145 but wasn't toned at all. Was I happy with the way I looked? Nope. Neither am I today, but I'm working out on it. On April's first week, I subscribed to a gym and I have been exercising since then.

I've been trying to educate myself about working out and diet since I realised that the program my personnal trainer made me wasn't doing sh*t. It was mainly cardio based and 1200 calories/day diet. I followed it for 2 months without cheating (or maybe I did... 2-3 times, but that's pretty much it) and I dropped 2 pounds. My body didn't really change neither. I was desesperate a little bit... and then I started reading about weight lifting. I had tried Bodypump classes and totally loved it, but I was afraid of getting bulky so I never really got into lifting. But since I REALLY like Bodypump class, I start taking one class every Saturday morning, then I added another one on Tuedays. That was in August. I have dropped 5 pounds since then and my body is more toned.

Because of that I start being more curious about weight lifting, start reading about it on the internet and this is how I found Nerd Fitness yesterday. I read articles after articles for 4 hours and now I'm totally subjugated. I want to start lifting, I want to see on my body the amazing results I saw on other's. I want to get strong, fit, lean, sexy as I always wanted. I know I have a long way to go, but I don't care. It will take the time it need and I wil enjoy every single day of my journey.

That was a pretty long intro!! Thank you (and congratulations lol) if you read it all :smile-new:, it would be a pleasure to be a part of this awesome community!

"Tomorrow comes today."

Welcome skye. Great that you found interest in weightlifting. Its really fun and can go lots of great stuff to your body.

If you are willing to go beyond bodypump and onto a barbell, the books "New rules of lifting (for women)" by Lou Schuler and "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe are great to read!

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

For free weights i really think those two books are great! The second one is heavily into the right technique. There is a fanmade wiki about the book and stuff: startingstrength.wikia.com

esp. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

To get a feel for the book..

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

Welcome and good luck with the lifting ... I finally started last week after wanting to try it for over a year .. it's a lot of fun.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

The more I read on NF, the more I love this site.

"Do cardio if:

You really enjoy the treadmill or elliptical, or you just really like running

You have all the time in the world

You’re just getting started and don’t really know what you’re doing

Do HIIT if:

You don’t like lifting weights, but you still want to burn calories as quickly as possible

You only have a limited amount of time every day

You like pushing your body to its limits.

Do circuit weight training if:

You want to build muscle while burning calories

You like burning calories while sitting on your butt.

You’re not afraid of lifting weights."

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

I'd be really happy to stop HIITing 5/7 lol.

"Tomorrow comes today."

Thanks! :)

For sure I want to go beyond Bodypump! I already added some machines workout to my gym routine and wanted to add free weights as well but I was afraid to injured myself and wanted to get more info before starting.

I actually think I injured myself on the machines. There is no real way to adjust them (for different body size) so I think the shoulder presses were forcing my joint into an unnatural position. Do not fear the free weights! Get one of the books - or watch Steve's videos.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived