Forums are back in action! ×

Introducing Tkal

Hello everybody!

I stumbled into NF while looking for some bodyweight routine I could perform while traveling. I felt in love with the angry birds. I started reading old post and decided this was a good place to find a support group to level up.

I'm a dwarf, so not the real physique for an athlete. And although I can pack muscle easily I get bored just lifting weight. As a kid I did some gymnastic (loved the vault...). Then I moved to martial arts and stick with that from 7th grade until the end of my PostDoc (science geek here!). I can say I used to be a monk...

Then life happened: got married, new job, new town, some health problems. I "woke up" 25 lbs heavier, a few years older, generally weaker and with a body which I do not recognize as my own anymore (include a hint of beer belly instead of my six pack). Time to take action and start moving again!

My action plan include switching back fully to Paleo. It was my way of eating before getting married. My wife is not really supportive, but so far she is not making my life too difficult and we are finding our balance there. The really difficult part is to limit calories: I love cooking (and eating), and I end up putting to many proteins and fats on my dish... So far I have been using FitDay to track what I eat, it is ok to track home made meals.

GMB programs are my choice for exercise. I like the variety of movements and the "skills acquisition" idea. At the moment I am in week 3 of Ring1. The plan there is to complete R1 curriculum.

I also found a interesting climbing group. But I am still not 100% convinced about the dojo in the area, I give myself until mid-December to decide.

Third leg of the tripod: a support group to keep me motivated when I am tempted to give up (main reason to join the Rebellion).

I decided to be an adventurer for the time being, at least as long as I am getting back in shape. After that it will be back to monk? But now I am practicing climbing and gymnastic... am I becoming an assassin? it would be interesting to see a dwarf traceur!

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

I hadn't heard of GMB -- looks interesting!

Actually there is something about it in the blog,

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

From there you find all the links if you want to know more. It is more on the line of learning something new instead of just adding more weight/repetitions

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6

I hadn't heard of GMB -- looks interesting!

Actually there is something about it in the blog,

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

From there you find all the links if you want to know more. It is more on the line of learning something new instead of just adding more weight/repetitions

Dwarfs are deadly at short distances! :emmersed:

Really short distance...

Gold Medal Bodies is actually how I found Nerd Fitness.

Actually I also found NF through them... so the circle is more an arrow..

Anyway, thank for welcoming me!

Archived