Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings!

Hello Rebels, I'm glad to be here on the boards!

I have been reading Nerd Fitness articles for about a month now and decided to join the boards for help and inspiration. I really like History, especially Irish History and take a lot of pride in my Irish background. I love music of all kinds, enjoy reading all kinds of books (history, political commentaries, theology, philosophy, sci-fi, fantasy, modern fiction), I play drums, am actively involved in some different social-justice groups in Cleveland and am a part of the Society for Creative Anachronism(SCA) a group that recreates the best parts of medieval Europe through living history.

I am a former Martial Artist. I have been out of training for about four years now and it shows significantly. I have dreadful sleep habits, drink way too much Mountain Dew, eat sporadically (though mostly vegan), am pretty much always tired, smoke about half a pack of cigarettes a day, and play way too much Skyrim on Xbox. That's the bad stuff, and eliminating these problems and the many steps that that involves is goal number one on my road to getting back into shape.

I'm quite a nature lover and find that spending time in the woods is where I really feel at home. My dream is to one day be able to sustain myself off of wild foods and to live self-sustainably in the countryside(or at least have the know-how to and abilities and accomplish such a thing). This is a very large part of where wanting to get fit again comes into play for me. I would like to be able to spend all day running through and playing in the woods without feeling fatigued the whole time, like I could when I was a kid. I want to be able to do this with my future family, to be able to keep up with children. I want to get back in shape to help me lead a happier life. I hope to help others around me and help the earth, but I need to quit my bad habits first and focus on optimal health.

I am inspired by the motto of the mythological Irish warriors, the Fianna who stroved for "Strength of Limb, Purity of Heart, and Actions to match our Words"

Thanks Everyone! Look forward to meeting you all,

Patrick

"Nothing can be changed except ourselves"

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Patrick Ryan, Level 1 Half-Giant, Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

Hey Patrick, nice to meet you! Welcome to the rebellion :) I love your goal of being able to live off the land -- it'll take some doing, but wow! Good job identifying some things you need to eliminate in order to work your way to "optimal health"...any plans for getting there?

I am inspired by the motto of the mythological Irish warriors, the Fianna who stroved for "Strength of Limb, Purity of Heart, and Actions to match our Words"

Who could possibly NOT be inspired by this? I like it so much, I'm going to steal it for my sig. No, I won't do that to you :) But I am going to write it down for my "quote wall" at home. Great stuff!

Look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Good job identifying some things you need to eliminate in order to work your way to "optimal health"...any plans for getting there?

Well, right now the first step for me is to try to quit smoking and improve my sleep. I think these two will go hand-in-hand with each other for making me feel all around better. Next will be mandatory money set aside for grocery shopping to make sure I have real, healthy, food in the house. I live with four other 21 year old males and we are all pretty good at spending money at the bar, or on video games before the essentials, I need to try to get them on board with getting fit to really make this work. I am committed right now to the beginning body weight training circuit every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and running every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, holding Sunday as a day of rest(I also do lot's of volunteer work on Sunday the keeps me moving the whole time anyways). I will work my way from here and see where it goes!

Who could possibly NOT be inspired by this? I like it so much, I'm going to steal it for my sig. No, I won't do that to you :) But I am going to write it down for my "quote wall" at home. Great stuff!

Look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Glad you like it, and thanks for your questions!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Hey Patrick, like your shiny new name! :D

The exercise schedule sounds great! And I like that you're starting with sleep and stopping smoking...any plans on how you're going to achieve those? They're not the kind most of us just show up and dominate... :) But you're right, they will have a huge impact on how you're feeling.

What kind of volunteering do you do?

(Did I mention I ask LOTS of questions? I'm mostly a question asking nerd. :) )

Cheers!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I'm trying to wean myself down to two cigarettes a day to start, and not letting myself lay down to bed any later then two in the morning. That's quite early for me.

I volunteer at a Church Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Mostly cooking and washing dishes, helping hand out clothes, and random stuff. Sundays are busy because there are a lot of people there for services. Saturdays are fun, I'm in a group called Food not Bombs that uses all rescued food, and makes a huge healthy vegan meal and then goes and serves it for free to anyone who wants it. It's a good time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Hi Patrick!

I've also been reading Steve's blog for several weeks now but am finally starting to participate. Welcome :) It sounds like you're doing a ton of really meaningful work with your time, good for you, all that volunteering is inspiring to me. I've been meaning to get back into it.

SMOKING!! Ahhh that was such a tough one for me. I had been smoking since I was 17 and finally quit nearly three months ago using Chantix. I had tried to quit countless times before then, and I was a full-blown pack-a-day smoker...but the Chantix really helped. I highly recommend it. And I must say, the freedom that comes from NOT having my life punctuated by my next cigarette break is unbelievable. If you're able to cut yourself down to two cigs already, though, I bet you can kick the demon without any meds. BONUS: Quitting half a pack/day=$21+/week you get to spend on delicious groceries instead!

Good luck, and I look forward to battling alongside you, fellow Ranger.

--Karina

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

karinalynne, level 1 Wood elf ranger

STR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 1|WIS 4|CHA 2

[/TABLE]
I'm trying to wean myself down to two cigarettes a day to start, and not letting myself lay down to bed any later then two in the morning. That's quite early for me.

LOL you must not work very early in the morning, then! I get up at 6am, so I make myself go to bed by 12am at the latest (usually, although I've been slacking this week).

I volunteer at a Church Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Mostly cooking and washing dishes, helping hand out clothes, and random stuff. Sundays are busy because there are a lot of people there for services. Saturdays are fun, I'm in a group called Food not Bombs that uses all rescued food, and makes a huge healthy vegan meal and then goes and serves it for free to anyone who wants it. It's a good time.

That group sounds totally awesome! And I hear you about the busy schedule with volunteering...I'm busy with church Sunday AM, and youth group Sunday PM, Monday, Wednesday, and every second Friday.

Good luck with the weaning process! Here's hoping you completely lose your taste for them :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hey Patrick!

I too struggled with smoking. I was a 2+ pack a day smoker and wondered if I was ever going to quit. I ended up seeing a clinical hypnotherapist and walked out a non smoker. That was 3 or so years ago. It may be another avenue to consider.

Also, I saw videos like this that motivated me.

Enjoy and welcome to the rebellion!

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

LOL you must not work very early in the morning, then! I get up at 6am, so I make myself go to bed by 12am at the latest (usually, although I've been slacking this week).

I work from 4-12 bussing at a restaurant, and then as a laborer for a private contractor two to three days a week from 9-3. The construction job I only started about a week ago, and am good on just six hours of sleep from 2-8, to make it through both shifts. Twenty minutes of working out in between or trying to get a small amount of running in is the hard part.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Hey Patrick! I'm a fellow Clevelander, and my ex was very involved in SCA so I wonder if I know you. What's your SCA-dian name?

I just joined Nerd Fitness today, so hopefully we'll keep seeing each other around the forum so we can encourage each other. :-)

Amazon Warrior

Stronglifts 5x5 Progress:

Started 7/29/13

Starting Squat Weight: 45         Current Squat Weight: 75 (staying here while working on form)

Starting Bench Weight: 45        Current Bench Weight: 65

Starting Row Weight: 65           Current Row Weight: 85

Starting OHP Weight: 45           Current OHP Weight: 55

Starting DL Weight: 65              Current DL Weight: 105

Hey Patrick! I'm a fellow Clevelander, and my ex was very involved in SCA so I wonder if I know you. What's your SCA-dian name?

I just joined Nerd Fitness today, so hopefully we'll keep seeing each other around the forum so we can encourage each other. :-)

Hey, thanks for replying! My SCA name is Ciaran, but I mostly just go to Pennsic every year. I have not realld had the chance to get very involved lately. I may know your ex or you though. Was either of you associated with The Cleftlands or Vito's minions?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

House Dunn Phalin, they always camped in the swamp at Pennsic. My ex was Sean the Irish Bastard. I didn't really have a name as I wasn't that into it, LOL. I knew a Vito, not sure if it was the Vito you're talking about. :-)

Amazon Warrior

Stronglifts 5x5 Progress:

Started 7/29/13

Starting Squat Weight: 45         Current Squat Weight: 75 (staying here while working on form)

Starting Bench Weight: 45        Current Bench Weight: 65

Starting Row Weight: 65           Current Row Weight: 85

Starting OHP Weight: 45           Current OHP Weight: 55

Starting DL Weight: 65              Current DL Weight: 105

Archived