Forums are back in action! ×

I need a plan...

I'm a college student in my 30's...outside of hiking across campus, my life is fairly sedentary. I have plenty of time, but seem to lack motivation. I've been making small changes to my lifestyle, but definitely need to step it up a notch. I've quit smoking and cut down on both the caffeine and diet soda in favor of water, but I'm in serious need of an exercise plan/routine/something! I'm 5'2", weight is typically between 155-160, and I'm a Type II diabetic. After reading several of the blog posts and doing some research, the Paleo diet really appeals to me, except for the lack of dairy. I plan to find and try some recipes this weekend. I'm seriously out of shape and can't just jump into a hardcore workout (Insanity? Yes, why yes it was, and painfully so...) because a week/month later I tend to give up on such things. The first blog I read on here was the Walk a Mile in the morning, every morning, and I thought, "well I can do that!" so tomorrow we'll see. Earlier this year, I walked with my 11 year old niece in the Maguire's St. Patty's Day 5k, and was disgusted to realize that it took us an ENTIRE HOUR to walk 3 miles...but I know that I CAN walk. My dad, who smokes, drinks, and eats whatever he pleases, has had two minor strokes, two minor heart attacks, and now uses a scooter to get around because he can't walk more than 50 ft without stopping to rest. I'll always be daddy's girl, but I don't want to be him. I don't want to eat myself to death, I want to avoid the kind of health problems he's having and becoming a better me. That's my goal, and my new mantra.

Renae

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Renae, level 1 Hobbit adventurer

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 5|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

It's not going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

Welcome!

Have you looked at the beginning body weight workout? It may be a great start. On the off days, you could start walking and turn that into other stuff. The article is here. As far as your eating plan, there are plenty of people here who do a modified Paleo plan.

Again welcome and feel free to keep asking questions!

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

Welcome RRB, nice to meet you! Sounds like you have some serious motivation (not wanting to be your dad), you're just stalling on the execution. But don't be afraid of slow. I have to tell you, I started off my journey really slow...litterally. When I started walking a little over 3 months ago I could only go about 1.8 mph. So that's where I started. Half an hour, on a treadmill, small incline (like 1%), and steady speed. Once I'd done that for a week I increased the speed by .1 . Now I am up to a regular speed of 2.7 mph at a 2% incline and do intervals every other day. Start where you are, and don't be afraid to take it slow -- slow is what sticks. The bodyweight workout that cid mentioned above is great too, I do that on my other days, and I have scaled it back to whatever I can do. As I can accomplish that, I move it up a little. Don't overthink it -- start with something small and see how it works for you. When you can do it regularly, add a little more. Soon you'll have a full routine in place and you won't even know how it happened!

Good luck with your goals!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Welcome..

After reading several of the blog posts and doing some research, the Paleo diet really appeals to me, except for the lack of dairy.

Personally i don't think diary is evil if you are ok with lactose.. you might want to take a look at 'the primal blueprint'.. one could say its a bit more relaxed then the paleo diet but shares the main idea.. (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/)

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

I have kept dairy in my diet in small amounts. Remember, this is your lifestyle, so the only "right" is "right for you". The rookie and the beginners body weight training are meant to be tailored to your own starting point. If you're having trouble with one of the moves, ask for help finding an easier one until you build up. Glad you joined up.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all! I did look at the Beginning body weight workout, and I'm going to give it a shot. I'm interested in losing inches along with building my stamina and speed. As far as the Paleo diet goes, this week I'm giving up rice for good...for a half-Asian gal, that's probably a good portion of my problem eating-wise. I'd also like to be able to run a 5k instead of walking it.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Renae, level 1 Hobbit adventurer

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 5|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

It's not going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

Archived