Forums are back in action! ×

Well howdy folks

Howdy folks! After reading NF for a few weeks, I figured it was time to join the community. A little about me:

I wasn't always out of shape. Really I wasn't. In my early to mid twenties, I was an atheletic machine. It started in the army. I found I was proficient at physical fitness. I had untapped athletic prowess. In high school I was more interested in debate, Science Olympiad, and drama because I knew I was good at those things. I was very into the outdoors and did a lot of hiking, but never got into organized team sports. Army basic training helped me realize I was actually good at atheletics. I went through quite a few phases during this time. First was powerlifting and exercising for the sake of exercise. I was naturally strong and could pack on muscle mass easily. Then I decided to be a distance runner and a mountain bike racer. My bone structure and muscle mass guaranteed I'd never compete in endurance sports at an elite level, but my natural inclination to work hard and have an almost obsessive focus on the task at hand made me a force to be reckoned with. I cut my body down to 155 lbs to be a better bike racer. I looked like I was starving to death, but I crushed my competition. And I totally took for granted my physical abilities.

Fast forward to my late twenties. I got a management position at the company I worked for. All of the hard work and focus I used to pour into my workouts shifted to advancing my career. I was successful at work, at the cost of pretty much everything else. My physical fitness was horrible. I almost lost my marriage. I alienated long time friends. I spent 90+ hours a week at my office and let everything else go. When I did take time away from work, I would attempt to drink away my stress. I would drink myself to sleep. I was a functional alcoholic. In short, my life was horrible, but I was so focused on grabbing the brass ring I never knew.

A series of events openned my eyes and made me realize I was killing myself. I won't go into details, but the very real threat of divorce was like cold water in my face. I took stock of my surroundings and realized I had crafted a phenomal screw up over the course of several years. Next, I went to the doctor for my next vicious wake up call. I was 6ft tall, good deal, that hadn't changed at least. Then to the bad: I tipped the scales at a very unhealthy 302 lbs and was developing high blood pressure. Lastly, I looked at my career and realized I hated my job. It was boring, repetitive, and not satifying to me. I was so caught up in leveling up my career I never realized I hated the game. Sort of like playing WoW, I guess.

Time for changes. Marriage first and victory was achieved. No divorce, good times had by all. Then to my health and time for a very hard experience: I was so out of shape walking uphill caused me to hit my lactate threshold. I've never been more humbled than when I nearly vomited trying to climb a steep hill. I stuck with it, changed my routine as my body improved and lost 82 lbs in a year, reaching my current weight of 220 lbs. Finally, I changed my career. I got into law enforcement, which is strangely lower stress to me than managing an office. Must be the cool car.

I'm still working on fixing my issues. I'd like to see the other side of 200 lbs, but I've been stalled at my current weight for almost a year. My diet needs some work. I still struggle to make time for my workouts. My odd schedule makes it difficult for me to find others to workout with. Reading the forums on this site have been very encouraging for me and I decided to jump in. I have extreme nerd cred. I love video games. I sometimes read entire books in one sitting and there has never been a point in the last 20 years or so where I haven't been working on a book. I still have d20 from the old days sitting my desk.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and maybe even dolling out what advice I can give. So, in short, howdy!

Well, howdy!

I see so many wins already! I must give you huge props for seeing the challenges you faced and hit them head on. I too was hit with the d word and did not fare as well as you did, however I am in a great marriage now and learned a lot from the first one.

As far as motivation, have you looked into the next challenge? It starts next week! :-)

Welcome to the rebellion and feel free to ask about pretty much anything, the people here are super helpful!

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

Archived