Forums are back in action! ×

Not so lean, not so mean, but still a Marine!

OOHRAH and Semper Fidelis, Nerd Fitness Motivators!

My name is Jason Cole, veteran, Lance Corporal, United States Marine Corps! I am here for the same reason many of you are here - I saw a deficiency in my life and had a burning desire to correct it, post-haste!

This is how I used to look (the date is a liar - this was taken in early 2008):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6289[/ATTACH]

I looked in the mirror and saw the ghost of the man I once was. He had this look in his eye - a longing look. If I didn't know myself well enough, I would have said he was sad. Sad about the man I had allowed him to become. Sad about the way he looked, the way others looked at him, and the way he felt about himself.

This is how I look now (May 3, 2012)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6291[/ATTACH]

But no - he wasn't sad; he was PISSED. I am pissed - I'm a hard-charging, beach-storming, flag-raising son-of-a-bitch (sorry, mom!). WHO is this doughy, pathetic, sniveling worm of a man?

Not me. Not anymore.

Okay, dramatic introduction aside - its true. I spent 4.5 years in my beloved Corps, was honorably discharged, and got a job as a civilian contractor working in Afghanistan. While I was in the service, I worked out (or PT'd - physical training) anywhere from 6 to 9 times a week. That being the case, my diet consisted of pretty much whatever the heck I wanted it to. When I got out, I kept that mentality - minus the intense physical activity.

I think you know where that leads to - I gained weight. A LOT of it. So much so that I started to have issues. At first, it was just minor joint pain. Then, it was difficulty sleeping, confidence issues, and emotional problems. That is when I took that look in the mirror. I didn't like me any more. Not only that, but it started to impact my job - I have to be below a certain BMI to work in this country, so I was in danger of losing my job.

I started working out again - doing cardio and lifting weights. I lost the weight to keep my job - w00t - but now I have a new goal. And I know with perseverance and the NerdFitness Rebel Army at my back, I can do anything.

NEW GOAL:

Continue to lose weight by eating right (paleo, oh how I love thee so!) and exercising for my goal - to compete in a Tough Mudder (or Spartan Race) when I return from Afghanistan in the July/August timeframe. This means a lot of compound bodyweight exercises (I'm looking at you, burpees, squats, and star jumpers), Stronglift 5x5/Olympic lifts, and interval training. Tire-flipping will occur, oh yes. Oh, and maybe some of them-there fancy-dancy P90X videos (love Plyometrics, and Yoga is a guilty pleasure).

CURRENT STATS:

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 320

GOAL STATS:

Weight: 230

Mile: Sub- 9 minutes (I used to run 3 miles in 20:30, so this is extremely moderate for me, but attainable)

Pull-ups: 5+

I have flapped my gums enough - time to get out there with the dust, dirt, grime and grit and work myself into a frenzy. BERSERKER RAEG RAAAARRGHH :mad-new::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new::mad-new:

post-11319-13567245412156_thumb.jpg

post-11319-13567245412468_thumb.jpg

post-11319-13567245412563_thumb.jpg

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

jdcole, level 1 Orc ranger

STR 4|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 2|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

Welcome to Nerd Fitness (and Fitocracy, where I came to this post from)!

Sounds like you've already started the battle, and you've got an amazing story. With your attitude, it sounds like you'll be back on your feet and in some awesome shape in no time!

And there's nothing to feel guilty about loving yoga! I always admire the dudes in yoga class. There's a lot of strength that goes into yoga, and the flexibility it demands is intense. It's a nice complement to everything else you'll be doing.

Get out there, indeed!

L1 Ranger

Fitbit | Respawn Challenge: Take 2

What a great introduction! That kind of confidence makes me absolutely sure you'll reach your goal quite fast.

I'm also thinking about next summer Tough Mudder as a great testing point for my current fitness work. :)

Monk / Assassin (Shotokan karate + bodyweight training), Level 0

Obiymy Doschu “Elehia†free album download — for all lovers of lyrical, emotional rock music

Sometimes I think Max looks into my brain and is inspired by my thought-juices.

2012-08-14-Strip_218_Freshman_50_web.gif

Thanks, SSgt - saw your Crossfit Heroes WOD goal. Definitely cool and very humbling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Thanks again, guys. I really look forward to being motivated by rebels and motivating other rebels.

And Steve deserves a super-high-five. Been reading through the guides and it's been nothing short of eye (and mind!) opening.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Okinawa, eh? I spent a couple of years on the rock from 2007-2009. Loved it. Probably drank more than I should have, though. Heh. Needless to say, I have my tales to tell.

I work nights, but I will try to get with the CF group here. Gyms aren't too friendly to contractors...need to find one in a diff LSA that doesn't limit times we can use them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Ooh Rah! It's good to see all the hard-chargers around here!

TheBBP, level 1 Jedi Adventurer
STR 5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Hebrews 12:11-13
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.â€

welcome. I'm sure you'll smash those goals with that attitude.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Archived