Forums are back in action! ×

Accidental Libations to God

Hey Everybody!

I'm Faust and I'm a 22 year old engineering student who is recovering from a traumatic brain injury. About a year and a half ago, I got hit by a car while riding my bicycle to campus and ever since then I've been out of commission so to speak.

Unable to do much other than lie in bed and have seizures, it wasn't long until I was out of shape (went from 180 lbs to 250 lbs in about a month). Fast forward to a year later and I've gone through physical therapy and been released by my doctors to do most things again. I'm 225 lbs now and eager to get in shape again. Hopefully, I will be in better shape than before the accident. Even if I don't manage to get washboard abs out of this, getting in better shape will give my body less to worry about so my head can finish putting itself back together.

Anywho, I'm glad to have found this site and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Faust

level 1 Human Ranger

STR 3|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 4|CHA 3
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Introduction

Battle Log

Welcome to NF!! Kudos to you for wanting to fight back and get back to pre-accident shape!

Is there anything that you feel you are not able to do? I would maybe start with Steve's Beginner Body Weight routines. There is no equipment to mess with and the initial steps are not hard to get into.

Is there anything that you love to do that is fitness related?

We are here to help you get back into the shape that you want to be in!

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Thanks Michael and Tanktimus for the encouragement! It really means a lot.

I'll definitely take a closer look at exercises that use body weight. That kind of exercise makes a lot of sense.

I love to hike, archery, canoeing, and recently I have gotten into blacksmithing but that is it as far as my physically demanding hobbies go. Most of these might be difficult to do where winter is coming.

In physical therapy, I worked on endurance mostly with a little bit of balance and coordination thrown in. The thing that has limited me for so long was my endurance. I can do most things but when I put too much strain on my body for too long, things stop working right. If anyone has any suggestions for endurance building exercises, that would be awesome.

Faust

level 1 Human Ranger

Introduction

Battle Log

Hi Faust. You definitely have the fortitude to make yourself into whatever you want with that attitude :) I'm too new to really give much advice, but I wanted to say hi and welcome. I also had a TBI, but it was birth trauma so I have had a long time to deal with it, so its probably pretty different in that respect.

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hey Faust, just wanted to add my welcome!

I would echo the suggestion about the beginning bodyweight routine for (re)building up strength and endurance. I've always liked circuits like that for their flexibility. As you discover new exercises, want to work on different muscles, want to hit endurance, or build strength, you can tailor what you do every day to how you're feeling and what you want to improve. From there, the options open up before you. You're a Ranger, we do all the things!

You mentioned working on balance and coordination. I'd recommend trying out yoga. You could swing by the Druids subform, I'm sure they've got a wealth of experience. But, honestly, when I was trying to develop my own balance and bodyweight strength I just picked up a Biggest Loser yoga DVD. (Being too chicken--and broke--to show up at a yoga studio). The one I've got lets you select custom workouts to fit the time you've got and your energy level. A full hour kicks my butt. Hard. And, best of all, it shows you how to modify your moves from all levels from absolute beginner up as you build strength and coordination. It's kinda nice, too, to see BL contestants doing the moves; it proves that you don't have to be a fitness model to do this stuff! And, it's been a great investment during the winter when, as you say, outside options are lacking.

Blacksmithing sounds awesome. I love lost artisanal techniques like that (total history nerd). What types of stuff have you been working on?

Level 2 Naxian Ekdromos Ranger

My First Challenge Thread

STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 5.5|CON 6|WIS 6|CHA 4

Whoa, we finally have a blacksmith! Watch out or all of us will be getting you to build +3 Vorpal Holy Avenger Carsomyr Greatswords with the optional GPS package ;) The Rebel Fitness Guide has some good info in it for where you are wanting to start.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Bekah- Thanks for the encouragement and although it isn't necessarily good to see someone else who has suffered a TBI, it is cool to see that there are others who have had that kind of injury and aren't afraid to take hold of their life and go at it. If you ever need encouragement, I'm here. Maybe we can share methods of overcoming and working around some of the TBI symptoms sometime.

BFBuckner- The more I read about body weight training, the more I like it. It just seems honest, natural, and holistic. Yoga is a great idea too. I actually used to do yoga as exercise before the accident(I've since used it some from more of a meditative aspect.). Thanks for reminding me. I'll be on the lookout for some good yoga videos.

As far as the blacksmithing goes, I'm just starting into it so most of the stuff I make is part of the equipment necessary for blacksmithing (parts for my forge and charcoal kiln, tongs) but I've made some simple camp cooking equipment and stuff like that. I've done a little knife making in the past but I hope to step it up and work on some bigger stuff once I get all of the kinks sorted out.

I love seeing how things used to be done and then trying to replicate it. I'm not usually into history too much but when it comes to how we developed our modern ways of doing things, I'm all ears. Just simple things like making my fuel for my forge blew my mind. At the time, I'm not sure if they realized that they were boiling out most everything that wasn't carbon when they were making their charcoal in their dirt kilns back in the middle ages but to look back and see the ingenuity of people is awesome.

Tanktimus- lol. In due time, in due time....

But thanks for the suggestion. I'll totally look into that guide.

Faust

level 1 Human Ranger

Introduction

Battle Log

Faust--that would be great. I actually just read my first book on TBI and the resulting issues in my case, at 33....and I had NO idea that lots of my struggles were resulting from that, it was amazing to learn

oh and I second Yoga for balance and flexibility ( I dont do classes either because I am not even beginner level with balance so I get discouraged) but my FAVORITE set of videos is this onehttp://http://www.amazon.com/Journals-Complete-Beginners-Guide-Encyclopedia/dp/B002JYPV7C

I LOVE yoga, Im a druid at heart :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hello Everyone!

Where it has been so long, I thought I had better reintroduce myself/explain where I've been for the past year. lol

I tried my best to get in better shape physically last year, but medically I just wasn't ready yet.  There were plenty of times that both I and my doctors felt that I was ready to go back at the world but various other things related to the head injury kept getting in the way making it unsafe to do anything on a regular schedule.

The good news is that now I am nearly back to normal!  No more big medicine changes, no more tests, no more physical or occupational therapy!  Even headaches are a rare occurance.  

There isn't anything holding me back anymore and now it is time to start realizing my goals.   

I am ready to take back my life and I am hoping to make good use of this forum to help that come about.

Faust

level 1 Human Ranger

Introduction

Battle Log

Archived