Forums are back in action! ×

Nightcrawler? Starbuck? Either Way I Get to Fly Around in the Dark.

It started a year and a half ago with working nights and being compared to Nightcrawler (physically flexible, theologically Orthodox, and nocturnal) and ended this week with re-watching Battlestar Galactica and thinking I wanted to look like Starbuck. Not pretty and blond, but like I could step into the ring with Apollo and hold my own.

I work at a hospital as a security dispatcher and switchboard operator. If you dial 911 in our hospital, you get me. If the fire alarm goes off, I coordinate our response with the city fire department. Just about any alarm that could go off, goes off in my office. But they almost never go off, and since I can't just get up and go for a walk when I'm bored (what if an alarm goes off?!), I'm essentially paid to sit still for eight hours and be prepared if something happens. (But it almost never does).

My shift runs from 11PM to 7AM. My coworkers, the ones who have been here and on the nightshift for years, are cranky, overweight, have terrible eating habits and are chronically tired. I was told these were occupational hazards. I rebelled and began reading about sleep, general physical fitness, a little bit about nutrition. I concluded that there may not be a way to healthily work the night shift, but there were certainly better ways. And I was in better condition than I had thought.

My diet was an advantage. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, gave up soda in the 4th grade after attempting to read the ingredients, have steadfastly refused fast food and chosen the vegetarian options since junior high. This sort of diet, informal as it was, was the reason I could work nights without dragging as much as the coworkers wolfing down a Whooper on the way in and snacking on Cheetos and office candy all night. I decided that since the informal version had done me a lot of good it was time to commit. And now my diet is almost completely vegan. (I have a friend that keeps a pair of goats. When there's milk she makes cheese and gives me some).

My yoga was in pretty good form and I was regular about doing it. I began taking the mat to work and doing some simple poses in the office. (This was how I ended up being compared to Nightcrawler. Someone caught me in a half-moon pose on one of my breaks and commented, "You're sideways, you know."). I began running about then, and doing some strength training too.

And got hooked.

So, I'm here because, right now, no one in my life cares to be fit the same way that I do. My roommate doesn't care at all. And the friends do care are satisfied with twice-weekly tai-chi classes and veganism. I've nothing against that twice-weekly tai-chi classes and veganism, but I want to do more. In order to do that I need accountability and more support than "Wow, you're spending a lot of time at the gym". Also, somewhere to go with questions, because I'm pretty clearly a Druid: vegan, dreadlocked, begin and end most days with a half-hour of yoga. Beyond that though my routine is alternate days of running and strength training. And despite my Druidness, my long-term/bucket-list goals include running an ultra-marathon, learning to box, and martial arts and/or MMA training.

So, in hopes of learning and doing a whole lot more, here I am.

Also…hi! I'm Joyce. 26. Living in Michigan, USA.

One last thing, because, y'all are a supportive bunch: just in case it wasn't obvious from "clearly a Druid: vegan, dreadlocked", my handle, "DreadfulGirl", isn't a sign of self-loathing or anything, it's wordplay to do with my hair, so please don't worry.

[TABLE=width: 700, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 1

STR 1.5

DEX 3

STA 3

DRUID

CON 2.5

WIS 2

CHA 3

NIGHTSHIFTER

@Dreadful_Girl

Fitocracy

Introduction

DREADFUL GIRL

"Insanity: doing the same thing over

and over again and expecting different results."

~ Albert Einstein

[/TABLE]

Hi Joyce aka DreadfulGirl! Welcome to the club. Kudos on you being able to maintain your motivation and control despite having friends who are not as motivated as you.

"If what you did yesterday was your best, you haven't done anything today""

Body Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'8

Lifting Stats as of Aug 14, 2013
Bench Press: 240 lbs 5RM
Squat: 325 lbs 5RM
Overhead Press: 140lbs 4RM
Deadlift: 345lbs 5RM

Welcome, DreadfulGirl! I also work in a hospital (OR nurse). Isn't it ironic that people who work in the healthcare system often take such bad care of themselves? One would think seeing so many people with chronic medical problems caused by poor lifestyle choices would motivate people to be healthier. My hospital has all these programs to encourage us to live a healthier lifestyle, yet provides us with all the free soda we can drink. *headdesk*

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

One would think seeing so many people with chronic medical problems caused by poor lifestyle choices would motivate people to be healthier.

Right?!

My favourite example are the respiratory nurses who smoke.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 1

STR 1.5

DEX 3

STA 3

DRUID

CON 2.5

WIS 2

CHA 3

NIGHTSHIFTER

@Dreadful_Girl

Fitocracy

Introduction

DREADFUL GIRL

~ Albert Einstein

[/TABLE]

I hope so.

Also, you're in California! I'm originally from California. I miss the readily available-ness of soy beans and yoga classes. And Trader Joe's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 1

STR 1.5

DEX 3

STA 3

DRUID

CON 2.5

WIS 2

CHA 3

NIGHTSHIFTER

@Dreadful_Girl

Fitocracy

Introduction

DREADFUL GIRL

~ Albert Einstein

[/TABLE]

I hope so.

Also, you're in California! I'm originally from California. I miss the readily available-ness of soy beans and yoga classes. And Trader Joe's.

Just moved to California and discovered the amazingness that is Trader Joe's, haha

I also recently started working nights. It's definitely a struggle to stay healthy/eat with regularity, but there are ways to make it work. Lots of trial and error. Welcome and best of luck!

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

STR: 2.5 DEX: 2.5 STA:CON:WIS:CHA: 5

Archived