Forums are back in action! ×

G'day from an Old School Geek

Nerd + Fitness = what a great combination!

I'm adding to the Australian platoon of the Rebellion - hence I use the metric system and get confused with lbs.

I'm old enough to have seen the original Star Wars at the cinemas 10 times.

I'm trying to be an empty nester - I just have to work out how to get the offspring out of the house.

It's time I got a bit more adventure in my life. One of the things that would help me achieve this (or at least enjoy it more) is to be fitter and lighter.

I had already decided that by the end of summer (in Australia) I would be able to call myself a cyclist. This means being about to ride 50km averaging 15 kmph. I'd love to get the speed up to 20 kmph but I like to keep my goals realistic (or SMART).

I also need to be serious about what goes in my mouth - I am quite disciplined with my excercise routeen, but hopeless with food. This means I am a relatively fat fit person.

From what I've seen it seems like a very supportive community - hopefully just the thing I need to find motivation and accountability.

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Welcome to the Rebellion! Metric > Imperial indeed. Imperial -> Empire. And well, Palpatine isn't a good guy.

Sounds like you have your primary goal set already. When does summer end? February?

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Welcome aboard, we have more and more Aussies joining up, it's a wicked gujeroo sure nuff (2pts to whoever gets the reference). I do have a hint on how to be an empty nester. Sit down with the children and tell them "Move out." I hear what you are saying about eating. It seems like at different times in my life I have either eaten well, or exercised, but never both at once. In my current challenge I'm on the beginning steps to correcting that by tracking calories. Steve says diet is 80% of weight loss. Good luck

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks for the welcome :D

I have set my challenge to track my food, rather than a strict rule challenge, because I need a gentle starting point!

The Cycling goal is by the end of February - I like to use seasons as a measure of time. We get hot summers and cold/wet winters (NOT Northern Hemisphere cold) - so I am planning on taking advantage of the long days to hit the cycle tracks.

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

I'm doing the same thing with food, my diet goal this challenge is to track calories. As long as I track them, I succeed. Next challenge I may tweak it to include controlling calories a certain way if I need to.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The hip thing when I was in 6th or 7th grade was to brag about how many times you had seen Star Wars in the theater! I have two teenagers at home and often look forward to the days of being an empty nester.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Archived