Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie intro!

Hello, all! I'm Travis, and I've finally taken the plunge and bought the NF program and decided to start working it!

I've read the NF blog off and on for a year, and it seemed like my kind of thing. I'm a nerd, I love video games, and this NF workout stuff "made sense". Or, should I say, it was the first time I'd ever seen a workout program (philosophy?) that made sense to me.

So a few months ago I bought the program, and then didn't do anything with it. Finally about 4 weeks ago, I was just feeling tired and burned out on life in general. So I decided I'd start taking advantage of the fitness center I have access to here at work. I worked with our trainers one-on-one for the past few weeks with some total body exercises and lifting, as well as getting in to do some cardio 3-4 times a week in addition to strength training. It was fun, and I'm seeing some losses (weight) and gains (stamina, muscle mass, compliments from the wife). But I suddenly felt drawn back to NF.

So, I just did the first workout of the Level 1 - Rookie program yesterday. I'm feeling pretty good about it, and eager to keep going!

My overriding goal is that I want to be able to play with my 17 month old daughter as much as she wants to (particularly when it's nice outside) without feeling winded/out of shape. I also want to be a good example to her of how to work hard to achieve a goal, and how to take care of yourself.

From a strength training standpoint, there's a few things I want to achieve:

1) I want to be able to bench press my own weight. Don't ask why. I don't know, it just seems awesome.

2) I want to be able to do a pull-up.

3) I want to be able to do 10 push-ups.

So anyhow, I'm on my way, and hopefully I can get myself involved in some of these challenges, and get to know some of you awesome people!

Travis

BC is right, many people's first posts are vauge, yours is very specific with some very good motivation. Steve has a post on how to do-a-pull-up/ and he has some other good posts on working up to pushups. Bench pressing one's own weight doesn't need a why. What about Deadlifting and Squatting your own weight as well?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks for the replies all!

@Tanktimus - The more I read about dead lifts, the more I want to do them! I have always loved squats. I think I'll put "Dead lift my body weight" and "Squat my body weight" in my goals section!

*Throaty yell of manliness*

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I just did Rookie Level 1 Workout "B" and the first one up was dead lifts!

Luckily, a co-worker who is a big workout guy was in the fitness center to check my form. When I asked him about dead lifts, he said that they are his favorite lift, a great total body lift, and a lot of fun. So it was good he was there!

Man, it was AWESOME! I kid you not, after I did the 2x15, I felt like I could run through a wall! Then again, it could have been the music I was playing, but the pump from the dead lift was undeniable!

Squatting and Dead Lifting my body weight is ABSOLUTELY on my goal list now!!!

You got a good friend there, Dead lifts are kind of the unofficial gold standard of weight training here on the boards. So glad you liked the workout, keep at it and you'll feel that awesome a lot more often.

Current Challenge

Archived