Forums are back in action! ×

Here I go again

Hi. Thanks for this site. Here is a little bio by way of introduction. I am 59. I stayed fit till about 30 then just kind did some recreation sports but not really in shape the next 25 years. I had a back injury a few years back and really put on the pounds. I am 224 now. I had a heart attack in August. Doc said I would be fine if I dropped 60 pounds and did 30 minutes of sweat producing excercise a day. Ha!. Well I lost a few pounds and did a little excercise. Not enough. I really feel out of shape. Hard to get around, on two blood pressure meds which make me feel tired. So I am really scared. I have tried to get in shape and loss weight the last five years. I have tried everything. I am scared of starting another new thing and failing. So here I am again. I guess there is something to be said for keeping trying.

I feel I am ready to make some changes and am here for advice, encouragement and support.

Thanks,

Jack

“To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing†– Elbert Hubbard

Hi Jack (giggles). As you can tell, I'm easily amused. You're a little older than I am (55) and I'm rooting for you. I see you've started a battle log; I recommend you start off with 3 or 4 goals for the remainder of the year, at which point you can join the challenge. How many days are you planning on exercising? Just cardio, or some body weight training? I'd been doing lots of cardio, then I dove into the beginner's body weight training - twice a week. I did cardio 3 days a week, and rested Wed & Sun. I did that for about 4 months, now I'm up to 6 workouts a week. Of course I "only" had about 15 pounds to lose, but I think you can do something along the same lines. Have you joined a guild yet.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Hi Laureleye..thanks for you nice response to my 1st ever post on NF.I see you are in your 50's too..(the best people are). So far I am just doing cardio. I mean I almost reset my personal Mayan doomsday clock with a 10 minute bike ride Saturday.....so I got to work up. I plan on daily neighborhood bike rides combined with food moderation to get started. My goal L. is just not to stop. You know... stay motivated. I will join a guild a group the chamber of commerce what ever it takes. Please stay in touch and thanks again

Jack

Welcome to the rebellion Jack. Always glad to have more Texan's on the board. Austin is a great community for cycling (So much that it is deleterious to the freedom of motorists :)). May I suggest that some strength training in between cardio days will have a good effect on your weight loss? The thinking here on the boards is that Muscle mass burns calories faster than fat mass. Strength training equals more muscle mass, not the puffy bro-tastic big muscles of body builders, but the dense, power packed muscle of strong people. Stronger muscles means that you burn more calories while doing cardio.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hey tank thanks for the response and the tip on strength training. I will consider how to add some strenght training. I have a little elbow tendonitis just now ....still I think I can work around that. Later.

Archived