Forums are back in action! ×

Intro

Been reading this blog for a bit but never bothered to check the boards. Anyway, seems like an interesting way to measure ones success so time to get started.

ME: Male, 30, 5'10" 225lbs. Been trying to get in better shape for the last 5 years or so. Desk job. don't eat breakfast. don't eat particularly well in general. Been going to the gym for 4 years or so.

About 2 years ago I started really lifting. it fits my body type pretty well and I got pretty good pretty quickly. 355 bench. 600+ squat & deadlift. But I just got more bulk/stronger, ended up weighing more. Got big in a hurry, which wasn't the goal. started looking like a total meathead. I'd lost some fat but most still remained.

To try and slim down and just do something fun, about a year ago I also decided to train for tough mudder, started a team with friends. So I started doing a bootcamp class 5 days a week. Did that for about 6 months then added crossfit on top of that, along with the lifting as the event came closer.

Probably overdid it.

Ended up with a bulged disc in my lower back. Missed TM. Couldn't exercise. Pretty horrible/constant nerve pain. My diet went to shit and I pretty much lost all the progress I'd made in about 5 months dealing with the back. I don't think I'll ever squat or lift heavy again. Do anything not to go through that ordeal again.

Which brings us to the present. I'm still really iffy with the back. I just ran on the treadmill for the first time last week. Doing core strengthening (crunches, planks, leg lifts, the usual) and some light cardio stuff at the gym, swimming a little bit.

So that is pretty much where I'm at. A little lost as to what to do now. I would still like to get down to 190lbs. Would like to get in better cardio sharp and maybe find some events to do along the way. My lifes pretty boring, I need some things to look forward to and keep me motivated. The challenges here look sort of interesting so I suppose I'll go find one now and get ready for Jan 1.

Welcome to the rebellion. Did Steve's most recent blog post lead you to join? He had a similar situation happen to him. There are a lot of ways to get into shape here, you are on the right track looking into the boards, maybe bodyweight workouts will be for you. Joining the warriors may not be the best idea for you right now, and possibly not the rangers, but the scouts, assassins, monks, druids and adventurers could all be good fits for now.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

OW! Yes, time to start again at an easier pace. If the running hurts a little, you might want to try some intervals, where you just sprint. But of course, as you found out in your first adventure, you can't outrun (or outlift) your fork. How are you planning to revise your diet?

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Hi there! I'm somewhat in the same boat. Bulging disc at the lower back region. Running has been taken out of the picture from my doctor, or at least for the time being. Swimming is pretty much our go-to-workout in my understanding. I'll be sure to share with you anything else I discover.

Archived