Forums are back in action! ×

No I'm Not Crazy

Hey All!

I'm Anali (pr-Anna Lee). 26, 5'4, and I weigh some pounds. I found this site a couple weeks ago while Googling (Google has all the answers) the Paleo diet. I'd heard about it and had some friends do it but didn't really know much about it. After reading up on it, it makes sense and I thought "What have I got to lose?" Well, fat, duh!

So here's a little about me: I have a tiny (I made him in my belly) and he's 2, awesome and exhausting. I'm a realtor, so that means I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and since joining the office I currently work in I've lost, then gained 10lbs. Its not a lot but it irks me nonetheless. The people in my office that I have mentioned to that I'm starting the Paleo Diet (I hate the word "diet" by the way, I prefer "lifestyle change"), look at me like I'm crazy. Here's why: I'm skinny.

I've never had a weight problem or been out of shape by any means. I don't think I'm fat now at all. And no, I'm not crazy. I have always been thin and been able to eat whatever the heck I want without any consequences, I have a stomach of steel! Even when I was pregnant I struggled to gain weight and barely managed to gain the minimum 25lbs the doctor recommended I gain for a healthy pregnancy. I ate, trust me, I ate. I wore my regular jeans through the whole thing, using a hair tie looped around the button when it got a little tough to button them. 2 weeks after my tiny was born (7lbs 4oz and very healthy) I had dropped all of my pregnancy weight with the exception of 7/8lbs that kept kickin' around. Not a big deal, I told myself I'd lose it eventually.

Well I didn't (except during a very stressful time last winter when I literally wasn't eating, which doesn't count). Like I said, I don't think I'm fat, I'm just a little squisher than I'd like to be. When you go from being very active, doing Muay Thai, being able to do 30 pull ups easily to not being able to do 1, you cry a little inside.

So this for me is not about losing weight or being thin, its about cutting some fat and getting back to the fitness level I used to be at. I want to make healthy life choices so that I can be a good influence on my tiny as well, because he's pretty damn awsome and I want to be awesome for him.

So no, I'm not crazy, just on a path to awesomeness, join me if you'd like.

Welcome to the rebellion. A lot of us have had higher levels of fitness in the past compared to where we are when we come to the boards, you are not alone. Poke around, look at the challenge boards, and I would recommend start planning to get in on the next six week challenge. What are some of your fitness goals besides wanting to lose the weight? Are you interested in strength, speed, a combination of the two, flexiblity, parkour?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Paleo isn't necessarily about losing weight. It is pretty good at that, but it is also just a healthier lifestyle, eating good, clean food. Hop back into that Muay Thai. That sounds like a lot of fun and should tighten you right back, too.

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

Thanks all!

My goal isn't really to lose any weight, if I don't lose a pound because I'm cutting fat but gaining muscle I'll be fine as long as I can SEE the results. I'm going to try to monitor body fat instead of lbs. Also I just want to keep track of my progress as I strengthen my body, ie: right now I can only do 1 pull up :( my goal is 30 (like I used to). I really want to do the Spartan race this summer and Tough Mudder. Those are my 2 big goals. So stength and speed are my 2 main goals. I just want to be healthier and more fit! And awesome :)

Strength and Speed in combination is a common theme over on the ranger boards, you might want to check them out and see if that is a place for your first six week challenge (the next one starts with the new year.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm new as well and I have to say ana, I have the same issue (partially).

I'm 5'4" 130lbs and I've also always been skinny *too skinny in my humble opinion* and I'm here to do the same thing--I wanna run a Warrior Dash, do the Tough Mudder again, maybe even do a Spartan Death Race. I've always felt weak and just equated it with my size. The fact that you used to just bang out like 30 pullups is inspiring :)

I don't know much but I've read a lot of this site, the forums and other books and such and the consensus here is diet is 80% of really anything. So eating Paleo or something like it will help you. Eating oreos and other junk foods will perhaps help you gain "bad" fat but if you want to gain "good" weight, Paleo and other protein/veggie diets will totally put you in that direction. There are plenty of Paleo diets made specifically for athletes to help with things like body building and stuff. You already know how to workout, you used to do 30 pullups! You'll totally find everyone here is insanely supportive and will help you whenever they can.

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Welcome! There are lots of us here who don't have weight loss as a goal. I've been 80-20 Paleo for three years or so, and I've never been more than 10 pounds overweight (those 10 pounds vanished pretty quick after going Paleo). My goals are more along the lines of getting stronger and more muscular, and optimizing my long-term health so I am a feisty old lady.

If you have a hard time gaining weight, you might have to work at getting enough food if you are eating Paleo. Don't skimp on the fat!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Archived