Forums are back in action! ×

Not your average nerd

Hi I’m Ryan

I came to this site out of interest in improving my approach to working out & eating healthy. I don’t have a great transformation story or anything, I’m just looking for ways to keep healthy and strong as I age. I ran track in college, after graduation I got real big into lifting weights, after many years of that I stopped all exercise and got a bit soft & squishy. I returned to running, cleaned up my diet, lost a few pounds and ran a couple marathons. Currently I am searching for balance and improve my overall strength and fitness thru running & body weight strength exercises. I’d like to be able to work my way to some of those crazy maneuvers. I may eventually get back into a gym, but for now I want to see how far I can progress without the aid of extensive weights or equipment. Although I know great results can be achieved from BW only, I'm still on the newer side of this approach so I'm trying to develope a program that suits me best. I will say one of the best things I've done in recent years is cleaning up my diet and trying to limit the amounts of processed foods. I feel so much better, so more ideas of how to squeeze out a few more things would be interesting too.

As per the nerd part, I have a Chemical engineering degree & sit at a desk all day. Otherwise my nerd qualifications vary widely, probably my biggest “downfall†is that I’m not a gamer. My video gaming knowledge ended with anything more recent than Super Nintendo. I hope you can still embrace me?

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

Glad to have you rybo! You sound like you might be assassin material depending on what you mean by "Crazy Maneuvers." There are some good Body Weight programs on the free workout section of the blog, I'd recommend looking into them. Maybe check out the assassin's challenge board as well.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This may help too: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/3/the-fundamentals-of-bodyweight-strength-training/

There are links there to many other exercises too. I found the manna to be the most intruiging. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/281-manna-an-advanced-static-strength-element/

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Archived