Forums are back in action! ×

It is now pitch dark. If I don't find my lantern, I will likely be eaten by a Grue.

Hello! I joined a while back, but then my computer was knocked out of commission for a bit... now I can try again.

When I signed up here, it was because I liked the way that methods of eating and exercise as well as explanations of different aspects of fitness were presented. Which means, I didn't need to get me a full weightlifting set and all manner of high-tech supplements or complicated whatnot just to begin. Or pay for a health club membership with the money I don't have. The community here seems super supportive. Full of people trying to get healthy like me, who make plans all day, but never quite start in on them.

Grad school was full of long hours at a microscope/computer, messed up sleeping schedules, and maybe grabbing a snack here and there when I remembered to eat. Add to that a frustrating and anxiety-inducing thesis project, and you have the perfect mess of a girl, just trying to make it to the end. Despite the physical and mental beatings I gave myself, I finally finished. I do not really regret the struggles (I would have done a few things differently, in hindsight). I met good people (on the other hand, there were terrible roommates I could have done without) and learned a lot.

But these days, I am struggling to find a job, and to move around enough so as to not end up bed-ridden for the rest of a potentially short life. I know I can change these things, and on the fitness side, that's where the forums come in. Sometimes I need a kick in the butt, or encouragement. Hopefully that will bleed over, and improve other aspects of my life.

I just want to be strong, healthy, confident, and look good in clothing, again. I am hoping being happy would be an incidental effect. I guess my big fitness goal is to be able to run a Zombie 5k or something like Tough Mudder before I'm 30 (I have a year and a half!). I have plantar faciitis, shin, and joint issues, so the only thing I can do for a while is walk and bike. No easy access to swimming, but when I get a job, I want to join a YMCA and maybe get involved in some low-level basketball or volleyball leagues to trick myself into exercising. I rarely eat unhealthy things, but I am going to try to remember to eat more than once or twice a day (aiming for five or six).

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'll try to visit the forums pretty often, so feel free to message me if you like.

(And I thought the Underwear Gnomes references were quite apropos. Made me chuckle.)

(signature/character under construction)

Nothing wrong with a good explanation of where you are and what you can do. Volleyball and basketball are great ways to be active, no apology necessary. One way to stick with things is to not try to do things you hate. Walking is great and cheap and not a bad place to start at all. Welcome to the forums.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome to the rebellion. Maybe one thing that will help is setting specific goals for before you turn 30, then some incremental ones between here and there. The six week challenges are a great way to break up our goals into bite sized chunks.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Archived