Forums are back in action! ×

Insert witty entrance title here: ;)

Heya! Name's Joy - I'm a morbidly obese mom of 3 (all boys). I've been fat all my life. I've known that it will shorten my life and all that jazz... but it never really sank in until a fellow overweight co-worker got hauled off in an ambulance a couple days ago. Heart palpitations & low blood sugar (he's a diabetic). I've known of the risks and even had a half-hearted goal to get healthy for quite some time... but something about what happened shook me. I don't know what in particular it was... but I'm glad it happened.

I've been trolling NerdFitness for about a month now - signed up for the newsletter and have been enjoying the e-mails (rock on Steve!). Now I'm ready to get committed. 

yeah, I meant to post this yesterday, but let other things get in the way... so here goes! *click*

Welcome to the Rebellion! Sometimes it takes a scary wake-up call to get people to commit to change. This is a great place to get support!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Heya! Name's Joy - I'm a morbidly obese mom of 3 (all boys). I've been fat all my life. I've known that it will shorten my life and all that jazz... but it never really sank in until a fellow overweight co-worker got hauled off in an ambulance a couple days ago. Heart palpitations & low blood sugar (he's a diabetic). I've known of the risks and even had a half-hearted goal to get healthy for quite some time... but something about what happened shook me. I don't know what in particular it was... but I'm glad it happened.

I've been trolling NerdFitness for about a month now - signed up for the newsletter and have been enjoying the e-mails (rock on Steve!). Now I'm ready to get committed. I've decided to make my "diary" of sorts public... so here it is. I also signed up for the Accountibili-buddy thing on Google docs. Hoping that goes somewhere cause I'd LOVE to have other ppl help me stay accountable and do the same for them!

GO GO TONS OF BRICKS!!

If you're fat and you know it (clap your hands) - HA! j/k... Join the Ton of Bricks!

yeah, I meant to post this yesterday, but let other things get in the way... so here goes! *click*

Hey Joy! Welcome and salute to you for taking a major step. You are ready when you are ready, there's never an exception to that. Sometimes it's tragedy that makes us ready in our own lives, that we can learn from the hard lessons of others.

Also, your sense of humor kicks ass, that'll help you stay honest with yourself.

Good luck on your journey here and happy holidays to you and yours!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Yes! You can do this. If you haven't found it yet, there is a weight-loss forum that you might find interesting. Come on in and join the adventurers guild. Look around and ask for help - you'll be all set up to start our new challenge on 1/1/13. It's exciting that you've decided to make that change; what baby steps are you planning to get you there?

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Aww, thanks for all the support guys/gals! ^_^ Haha, thx RedWriter for the compliment - I've found humor makes life a little bit happier not only for myself but for others around me (hence the high CHA score - lol).

Laureleye, I've already started to whip my diet into shape. Been doing drastically less processed (dead) food since deciding to join the Rebellion on Thursday. I'd love to go full Paleo some day... gotta ween the family off the "American" way of eating first. I already know my hubby is going to be the hardest sell, so I'm hoping on leading by example. :) I'm super looking forward to starting a 6-week challenge! I've just gotta remember to take it easy (I have very painful problems with my Achilles tendons due to my weight & trying to be superwoman) and work out safely till I drop some of the excess weight. Then it's time to really get down to training! :D So excited I can just taste it! (tastes like... asparagus? oh... no that was from lunch - HA! nevah mind!) ^_^

k done rambling now... >.>

Welcome to the rebellion. This is a very supportive environment for people looking to get healthy. We are here for each other, you included. Have you thought about goals for the upcoming challenge?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome! So glad you've joined the Rebellion!

I'm new to challenges and everything but from reading other's challenges and starting my own mini one for the last two weeks (I had been working toward the goals I listed there for about four anyway so I got lucky!)--just keep them simple and attainable! I love that I get to level up at the end of a challenge and gain some points. There's something about the character levelling up actually being ME that is so totally awesome it makes me amped for any challenge that comes along, kind of like I am with any videogame.

Check out the Adventurers six week forum and look at their challenges if you'd like: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?219-Adventurers

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Tank... you're a gem. Thank you. I did a real-life face-palm when I saw that. HA! On to creating a battle log in preparation for 2013's first 6-week challenge!!

Woo-hoo! That'll be my first challenge too.

From a Paleo noob to you, my advice is don't let anyone (or anything) else talk you out of going paleo/primal. (I don't do dairy because of a low-level intolerance that makes me bloat and generally unhappy when I eat/drink it, so paleo was the right choice for me.) It's easy to say "I'll start tomorrow" every day, but what's hard, and worth it, is saying "I'll start today." The first week or two are the hardest (my first 3 days were the worst - sugar headaches and general lethargy), but once you're through the caffeine withdrawl (do that before you go paleo if you can) and sugar withdrawl you are on the fast track.

My advice is go in stages, but start now. Step 1: no caffeine/water and herbal tea only. Step 2: no high fructose corn syrup in ANYTHING (and I would recommend you include agave in that because they're far too similar for my comfort, but it's up to you). Step 3: full-blown paleo. If you take 1 week for each of those steps starting now you'll be right on track to start paleo the first week of the next challenge.

I also made sure not to add a bunch of new exercise my first week on paleo (which was hard because I suddenly felt healthier, less bloated, and wanted to get out and challenge myself, but it was worth it to let my body adjust before putting too much pressure on it).

The above is just my personal recommendation, not scientifically proven. But I would also add to it that alcohol will kill your energy. If you can wean yourself off caffeine, sugary drinks (including juice) and only drink a very little alcohol once in a while (1-2 glasses a week) you can do anything.

If those look like huge steps to you, take 2 weeks to do each one. I like the one-week progression because it makes me feel like I'm making progress quickly without putting too much strain on my body. Also - I was only drinking coffee when I went off caffeine, no soda or energy drinks, so depending on how heavily you rely on those, you may want to read Steve's article on quitting caffeine and choose a different time frame: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/20/caffeine/

That's probably way more "help" than you were hoping for, and ultimately the choice is yours: red pill or blue pill (and as long as you're choosing to take an NF "pill" you'll be moving in the right direction, instead of just staying cozy in an armchair). But we're here to support you! (And occasionally offer sometimes-helpful suggestions.)

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Lydieboo... funny thing! I didn't even realize you posted a reply here till AFTER I wrote the response on my battle log. LOL!! :D Thanks for the advice! My only vice out of those 3 you mentioned is the sugar thing. I'm fortunate enough to not care for soda or coffee that much. I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine... and if I do have it, I'm like Hammy; it's ridiculous. Alcohol has never really appealed to me (it's fine every now 'n then... but I don't drink very often). So yeah... just the sugar. Cookies. And chocolate. And the only way I can think of effectively "weening" myself off it is completely cutting it out. I'm a cold-turkey kind of gal. :)

Archived