Forums are back in action! ×

Shy but determined

Hi Everyone

I found out about Nerd Fitness on Friday, and I've made the decision to try and do something about my weight and fitness.

I am overweight, but not massively so, and I am unfit(ish). In some ways, I have always used this as an excuse, since I'm never that far away from being happier and healthier! I'm a little over 31, and have struggled with my weight since I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) almost 6 years ago. Last week, however, made me decide I had to do something. I have been suffering from general fatigue for over a month, and last Tuesday I made a birthday cake for my husband, loaded with sugar, and after taking a few bites of my piece I felt intensely sick, got an instant headache, and needed to go sit down for 30 mins. Not good.

I am already thinking about goals for the next challenge, as that seems like a very good way to keep motivated. I have stopped eating sugary things, pasta a bread already, and am trying to do 3 days in line with a Paleo diet for the next couple of weeks (we're down at my parents' for Christmas, and I don't want to make my Mum cook two meals - by next year I hope to be knowledgeable enough to do my own). I've also started going to 15 min walks before breakfast, and next week I intend to start on the Beginner's workout.

I'm already feeling much better, and this is only a few days in. :topsy_turvy:

Little Miss Gibson, Half-orc Adventurer [1]STR 4|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Inventory: 6ft oak staff; baby carrots; rat-tail; 10 silver pieces

You've already made a great start on things. Just do the best you can over Christmas and eat up on the good stuff. There are a lot of us that are not all that outgoing, so you're in good company there. Glad to see another adventurer. If you need help with anything, ask away. See you on the next challenge.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome! So happy that these beginning changes are already making you feel better. Imagine what it'll feel like as you progress!

What kind of goals do you think you're looking to attain?

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Thanks. :)

Ultimately I would like to get into weights (I used to love them when I used to go to the gym back in college). I'm planning on having a go at the Beginner's Body Weight Workout starting Sunday. One of my major problems is starting to go to the gym, then injuring myself! Think I've done it three times in the past 5 years. So I'm going to start slow and stay away from the gym until I'm a bit stronger.

I am going to be spending the next few weeks thinking of goals for the challenge.

Very happy today though, I just had a colleague ask if I'd lost weight, and all I've barely done anything so far.

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Awesome that you're ready to make changes in your life. Also, shyness is a tricky thing to overcome in my opinion. For me at least it's like working out, you have to get out there everyday and work at it to get stronger. Then if you don't work it out for awhile you'll start to decline. Best of luck!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I had the same problem with getting hurt :(

I'd miss the gym or working out so much I'd go back so gung-ho that I'd end up injuring myself or I didn't ease into it enough so I sprain something etc. I think I may be doing it right this time and the big difference I've actually incorporated is yoga. It stretches me out two times a week so I have a break from harder workouts and my joints etc. get a lot stronger. I highly recommend it!

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Well, it wasn't possible to start yesterday evening, but I did go and rummage round in the garage and found my old 10L plastic jerry can to use as a weight.

My husband had been ill, and spent all evening on the PS3. The only space large enough in the house to do the workout is in the same room, so I've given him fair warning that I intend to have a go at that tonight.

I have stopped eating sugary things, pasta a bread already, and am trying to do 3 days in line with a Paleo diet for the next couple of weeks...

Sounds like you're already making some great strides! Have you heard about the Paleo flu/carb flu yet? When you decide to go full Paleo/Primal, you will probably get the equivalent of a caffeine headache ove stopping sugar. But I want to encourage you to give it a real go. January 1st is the next 6-week challenge, so if you are thinking about going full Paleo for that, I'd be happy to support you in any way I can. (You'll find there are a few diet camps on the forums. Go with the one you are comfortable with. What's important is that you're progressing and reaching your goals.)

Also, every time I would start the C25K program (great program!) I ended up getting overly ambitious and hurting myself. So here's my advice:

Don't try to do too much too fast. By that I don't mean cut the recommended time in half or only do one rep. I mean if you feel strained, go slower or lighter until you build up your strength. If you follow the blog you'll see Steve say several times that if you're already overweight you don't need to add more weight to have a serious workout. (I only consider myself about 30-35 pounds more than my ideal weight, but still don't add weight vests or extra pounds when I'm doing the Beginner Bodyweight Workout.)

If you are starting running and your shins start hurting, don't stop, but slow down to a walk. If you are struggling to lift a 20 pound weight, don't injur yourself by straining hard and losing your form, but go to a lighter weight. You'll see a lot of "go heavy or go home" on this forum, but that's an intermediate strategy. For beginners like us the best strategy is "take it slow, perfect your form." Once you've hit a couple milestones, then you can start lugging around paint cans and weight belts while you do lunges.

Good luck!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Archived