Forums are back in action! ×

Lurking? Who's lurking?

Okay, so I feel incredibly intimidated by this introduction post… To the point that I’ve came onto the forum meaning to write one at least a dozen times in the last fortnight. That’s pretty silly, so here goes:

Hi! I’m Jenn. I’m 26, live in Olympia, WA, with my partner of almost 7 years, and still use the Oxford comma. I’m into the all the typical nerdy things, but my main hobby/obsession is ball-jointed dolls. I signed up almost 6 months ago, right before my life got WAY more interesting. As in, “Let’s move to Olympia [from central Oklahoma] in 3 weeks” interesting. Yes, that really happened. It was both the scariest and most awesome decision I’ve ever made. We put in our 2 weeks’ notice, sold everything that wouldn’t fit into two sedans, and packed the rest.

I remembered around Halloween that I’d signed up and told myself I should start posting. I even added my signature and spent way too much time fiddling with RLRPG stats. (Yes, I’m thatperson at the game table.) Then I just ignored it for a while and quietly freaked out.

I’ve been a “big girl” ever since I was a little girl. Start with the standard tales of yo-yo diets, scale obsession, self esteem issues, and never being able to buy the really cute clothes. Add in a healthy dose of family dysfunction and “food means love” upbringing. Stir, then serve over ice. But seriously, I’ve only recently admitted to myself that I’m actually capable of reaching a healthy weight.

I’m currently in week 2 of Operation: Quit Vending Machines. The daily chocolate and chip purchases at lunch have been replaced with packing actual food.

This is getting a bit long, so I’ll end it with a few of my mini-goals for the coming weeks:

1. Break the soda addiction. You already like green tea, drink it instead.
  2. Get strong enough to do a pushup.
  3. Knit a 1/4th scale Doctor Who Scarf.
  4. Bonus: Find a walking buddy for after work.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.- Mark Twain

Janatra, Changling Adventurer, Level 0| STR - | DEX - | STA - | CON - | WIS - | CHA - |

Welcome and it sounds like you've got a lot planned out and some confidence in yourself. Are you doing a workout program at the moment? or are you just focusing on diet first? Also, I wish you best of luck with your soda addiction, I'm in the same boat. It sucks.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Its always nice to see another puget sounder on here. Dont be discouraged by the 8 months of gloom and crappy weather here, the summers are awesome. Plus if you want snow, the mountains are 2 hours away. Desert? 4 hours away. Rain forrest? 3 hours away. You get the picture. Good luck on your goals and welcome.

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

Welcome! And good luck! Maybe consider looking into the upcoming six week challenge that starts on Jan 1st if you're up to it?

If that's not your style, daily battle logs work too! Which I'm sure you know since you've been lurking :)

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Hi! I’m Jenn... and still use the Oxford comma. I’m into the all the typical nerdy things, but my main hobby/obsession is ball-jointed dolls. I’m currently in week 2 of Operation: Quit Vending Machines. The daily chocolate and chip purchases at lunch have been replaced with packing actual food.

This is getting a bit long, so I’ll end it with a few of my mini-goals for the coming weeks:

1. Break the soda addiction. You already like green tea, drink it instead.
  2. Get strong enough to do a pushup.
  3. Knit a 1/4th scale Doctor Who Scarf.
  4. Bonus: Find a walking buddy for after work.

First off, well done you for using the OC. The Original OC. (Way cooler than the one in California.) Also, I dabbled in the BJD's briefly and your number 3 goal rocks my 1/4 scale socks.

If you're looking for inspiration, NF is a great place to start. There are so many different philosophies that it's easy to find/create one that's right for you. And we're definitely here to support each other - including you!

Quitting soda is definitely possible, and it sounds like you're taking the right approach - or the easiest one, at least. Replace soda with something else so that it becomes a habit; the way you reach for a soda automatically now, just with green tea instead.

I'm also interested to know how you're going to get strong enough to do a pushup. Are you starting the BBW?

Also - I love your style of writing. Good grammar and humor? Win!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

I was designing crocheted doll clothes for a few years, for Close Knit Press, which sadly no longer exists. Real food is the way to go. Hopefully, life is a little less interesting now, and you can start really going on this. Good job on operation vending machine.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thank you all for the enthusiastic welcomes! I think this is the most number of replies I've ever received on an intro thread. Of course, I already knew y'all were a friendly bunch. :)

To answer some of your questions, I'm mostly focusing on diet right now, but I'm also walking quite a bit more than I used to. I'm nowhere near as car-dependent here as I was back in OK. Quitting soda is one of my goals for my first six week challenge. I'm actually super excited about the challenge. Lets do this!

@Porkchop Not to mention, Oklahoma summers? 112F heat index in the shade with 85% humidity. Also, there's no tornado season here. Rain we can do!

@Lydieboo I'm actually starting with the "But I Can't Do a Push Up!" section of How to do a proper push up As for the scarf--I've never knit anything that small, so we'll see how it goes!

@Laureleye I have some of the pieces my granny made using Close Knit Press patterns! What a small world.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.- Mark Twain

Janatra, Changling Adventurer, Level 0| STR - | DEX - | STA - | CON - | WIS - | CHA - |

@Lydieboo I'm actually starting with the "But I Can't Do a Push Up!" section of How to do a proper push up As for the scarf--I've never knit anything that small, so we'll see how it goes!

Hahah, I've never knit anything, full stop, so I'm sure it will look better than my attempt would. We need knitmills - treadmills that make us walk while we knit. :)

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Oh dear! Well, I was going to say that she was still making doll clothes until not long ago, but then I realized it has to have been 9, maybe 8 years. Where does the time go?

Archived