Forums are back in action! ×

2013 Resolutions

joeyb

So, does anyone have any good resolutions for 2013? I have a few ideas, but I'm looking for some possibly better ones.

The one I know I'm doing is giving up pizza for the year.

I was also contemplating making it so I couldn't order any side dishes unless it was for a completely nutritional reason. That means no fries with the burger or anything like that. I find that I order a relatively healthy main dish and then ruin it with fried foods on the side.

I also have a friend giving up soda pop for the year. I was thinking about joining in on that.

What are your resolutions? If you've never done yearly resolutions, I find that it's much easier to manage if you pick small goals (stop drinking soda pop) that build up to your much larger goal (eat healthy/ditch sugary drinks).

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Controlling my temper better and not snapping at wifey. We both have been very stressed the last few months with new jobs and moving to a new house and trying to get it unpacked and making it our own. We tend to snap at each other a lot because of it and it causes issues. I'm going to try to be more pleasant in general and force myself to be happy whether I'm stressed or not.

edit: I also want to get back to the whole "treating your body as a temple" sort of thing. The last few months I've eaten whatever, snack a lot, don't really work out, etc. We still eat pretty good at home and make smart decisions when we eat out, but at work I'm complete crap. I need to stop being lazy and get back to cooking myself lunch for the week and bringing enough food so I'm not hitting the vending machine every afternoon. I want to get a good solid year of working out 2-3 times a week minimum and eating right 5-6 days of the week ALL YEAR instead of being awesome for 6-12 weeks then finindg an excuse to take 6-12 weeks off.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I debating no drinking...not sure though...but there's an idea :)

You'd be a stronger man than me! A good portion of my social life revolves around drinking, though at least I'm down to about once a month on average.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You'd be a stronger man than me! A good portion of my social life revolves around drinking, though at least I'm down to about once a month on average.

Gah, my wallet would feel better if I did that. My drinking has gone up recently. That's what you get for socializing with 24 year olds....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Gah, my wallet would feel better if I did that. My drinking has gone up recently. That's what you get for socializing with 24 year olds....

Do it at home and it's like beer specials every time, the worst I've done is $2.50 a beer and that's when I bought 9-10% alcohol Mad Elf. We only go out to drink like once a season.

500 / 330 / 625

I debating no drinking...not sure though...but there's an idea :)

I couldn't drop beer altogether. What I have been doing, though, is only drinking when I go out with friends. It generally limits me to drinking at most one night per week and I usually drive so that means 2-3 beers per week tops.

I'm thinking of tackling some of my Epic Quest goals this year. I'm picking a few certain ones and I'm going to include a mini-goal for each of them each 6 week challenge. Two of those goals are:

Start my own business, which I'll accomplish be getting my NRA instructor certification (in March!) and arranging a place to teach CCW courses.

Get better control of my body. This will consist of different gymnastic/balance/yoga goals, including handstand and backflip and the like.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I resemble that 24 year old remark haha (26 here)

I couldn't drop beer altogether. What I have been doing, though, is only drinking when I go out with friends. It generally limits me to drinking at most one night per week and I usually drive so that means 2-3 beers per week tops.

I am not sure I can either...well whiskey either for that matter...particularly since i just got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year :) But I may limit myself to 2-3 drinks every 2 weeks or something that sounds like a good idea.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

My 2013 Resolutions.... hmm....

- Prioritize my life: it's been a horrible habit of mine since I joined the military to let all-things-work-related take precedence over everything else in my life, and excuse me from taking the time or putting the effort into things that really matter (keeping in touch with family and friends, most notably). I'm only just beginning to realize that no matter how proud I may feel looking back on my years in the service, that pride is worthless when compared to the memories and relationships I could have forged during that time but didn't.

- Ready my troops: my guys are already amazing soldiers, but they're inexperienced and need real training for what we're headed into - not the bullshit Army go-out-to-the-field to set-up-all-the-equipment and sleep-in-your-gear-again-because-that's-what-real-soldiers-do training. Somehow, I have to find a way to turn that otherwise lost time into something productive. I have ideas... I just have to figure out how to sneak it past the officers' noses... heheh.... :-P

- Take care of my body: I'm not getting any younger, and the forehead lines are only going to continue getting deeper. I want to be able to finish out my contract with no more aches and breaks than I've already acrued. I don't want people to say, "Yeah, I can see you were [a soldier]," like they do with so many other females: I want people to say, "Really? Wow, ok," like they never would've thought it to look at me.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

24 year olds are so fun, though. They keep me young. Well, and hungover. But young before the hangover. ;)

Last year the only "resolutions" I made were lifting goals for the end of the year. I'm happy to report I hit all but one (and when I set them, they seemed totally unrealistic). I want to do something similar this year. It made my mini-challenges easier to write, too, since I knew my long-term goals.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I don't have any - I don't believe in them, really.

I do believe in mini goals throughout the year though :)

I never did either until I started doing them during Lent. It almost gives me a CHALLENGE ACCEPTED feeling. It's basically taking something that I don't think that I can do and then forcing myself to do it for an entire year. It's definitely a test of willpower and very rewarding when you actually finish one.

I never did either until I started doing them during Lent. It almost gives me a CHALLENGE ACCEPTED feeling. It's basically taking something that I don't think that I can do and then forcing myself to do it for an entire year. It's definitely a test of willpower and very rewarding when you actually finish one.

I consider giving something up for lent/doing something for however long lent is very different than a New Years resolution :)

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Good thread! Here's what I'm looking at:

1. Graduate all goddamn ready. If everything goes according to plan I can finish my BA at the end of the summer, and even if it doesn't I'd still have fall and winter to figure things out, so there is no excuse for me getting out of 2013 without it.

2. Investigate a possible side-hustle. I don't necessarily know if anything will stick, but I want to investigate ways that I may supplement my income (any suggestions would be appreciated, by the way!)

3. Get to a 'normal' BMI. Yeah, I know it is not the best measure, particularly for people with more muscle mass, but I have a slim build so I do not think that would skew things for me. I am at around 195 pounds right now, which means I've got about 10 pounds to lose. Hoping to knock this one out February or March at the latest.

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

This year my goal is to learn Lindsey Sterling's Song of the Caged Bird on my violin.

My fitness goal is to do one pull up. (I have been able to walk on my hands for longer than 30 seconds but I have never been able to do a pull up)

Get down into full splits.

Small, achievable goals. Just the way I like em.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Kai: level 2 Naiad AssassinSTR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Current Challenge: Six Week

Not really technically New Year's because I made it on like Dec. 15th and just decided to start right away because I didn't see the point of waiting, but:

This year, I will be grateful for the opportunity to train (BJJ) and not get all self-absorbed and frustrated when I'm not as strong/fast/good as the men. It's selfish and counterproductive to focus on my own frustration at getting tapped rather than what I can learn from it.

...although I still maintain that if there were any justice in the world I would have been born a man.

Same here ... Last year i gave up soda for Lent and I don't really drink it anymore unless its with my whiskey... Maybe for my goal I should give up ice cream.

Other goals I have

Run a half marathon in April

be able to hold Crow pose for 30 seconds

Learn to play guitar and write a song

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different

STR:2 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

I think I might join you and do the no soda. Sodas are my weakness. I'm getting to where I don't even like them that much anymore, it's just a habit I keep going.

Physical goals are to do the splits, pull-ups, and I want to do an obstacle 5k.

Personal goals are to be more pleasant in general, and to stop swearing like a sailor constantly.

And I'm cracking down on the dogs. My one dog has his CGC and was certified to be a dog I could take to hospitals to visit ppl, but I've slacked off with them, and they've turned into a pack of heathens. We're changing that next year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 Slayer Ranger

STR-4.5 DEX-3 STA-6.5 CON-4.5 WIS-5 CHA-3

Interesting. What's the difference?

I think that a year is too long of a time to see results for most people. Also, it's easier to say that you want to lose 5 pounds over 6 weeks than 50 pounds over a year so you're more likely to accomplish your goals that way.

mine are mostly lifting orientated, gain weight (currently sitting easily at 78kg, thinking maybe 85kg relatively lean) and i really wanna get my ohp past bodyweight (70kg now) and my squat somewhere closer to my deadlift (there's around 50kg difference and me no likey)

i should be getting my own house too, so i'll make a resolution to make it frigging awesome

I think that a year is too long of a time to see results for most people. Also, it's easier to say that you want to lose 5 pounds over 6 weeks than 50 pounds over a year so you're more likely to accomplish your goals that way.

True enough for weight loss (and other short term goals like small home projects, saving smaller amounts of money, taking a standard-length holiday), but some goals do take more time - planning for something like buying/selling/flipping a house or having a kid or taking more than 6 months off work to travel all need a long term view, no?

I mean, that's the whole point of the "epic quest"-themed articles here, right?

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Archived