Forums are back in action! ×

adventurer, checking in

Not much to my life story; I got good and fat during my first year of grad school, so I'm trying to change that.

When I have free time, I like cycling, but the weather won't allow that, so for now I'll settle for lifting weights, and hitting the elliptical machine.

Since I'm a real winner, I'm living with my parents, so I don't exactly have control of what I eat (grad school = no job = no money for food = I'm at the mercy of whatever's in the fridge), but I do have control over stuffing my face with ice cream and soda, so I'll avoid those things.

Picked up cigar smoking, which I'm definitely cutting back on (not ready to give it up, but ready to stop doing it every day!)

Today, I went (indoor) climbing (for the first time in years!) this morning, then got 9 holes of running-frisbee-golf (probably the last one of the season, since it started snowing at hole 3). I think my biggest challenge will be to avoid getting bored with doing the same thing every week.

Focusing on weight loss, functional fitness, and living past 50.

When I actually do it, I take a pretty hard lined approach to working out. I love lifting big, or cycling until I can't stand up.

I don't socialize in the gym, and I've yelled at people who try to offer me advice while I'm in the middle of a squat.

That being said, I love active social activities like rock climbing with a couple of friends, or going on a big group bike ride. Unfortunately, I don't have a group of friends that are in to stuff like that, so I enjoy those things alone for now!

That's about all there is, looking forward to reading what everyone else has to say.

It's all well and good to say you're living at home and have no control, but I think if you look you'll find some ways to influence your food environment. Can you offer to go grocery shopping for/with whoever shops? Maybe that would allow you to shift the household eating patterns. Can you offer to cook dinner? If you cut back more on cigars, could you afford food? Remember - 80% of your fitness is what you eat. What type of plan do you have for a more consistent workout approach? It certainly is tougher to get in activity where it snows; obviously not a problem I have. Glad to see you join the rebellion. Have you looked at joining a guild for the next challenge?

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

As a fellow grad student, I hear you on the no money thing. I'm not sure what kind of program you're in, but do you have an assistantship or TA position? If not, I think Laureleye's suggestions are possible. I know when I was living with my parents after undergrad I would regularly offer to cook as an excuse to make them buy healthier stuff - I just had to prepare it. I know finding the time can be rough with classes and/or research, but I've actually found that the majority of Paleo/Primal meals are simple. I'm expecting to devoting my Sunday nights to doing a lot of prep/cooking for the week.

Best of luck on your workouts! And try Meetup to find some social exercising groups if you're in a big urban or suburban area. I've found all sorts of cool stuff there, but I'm in the DC area, so.. :)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Archived