Forums are back in action! ×

2013 reading goals?

CalvinHobbes

I'm shooting for two a month, so 24.

although, you make me want to set my goal at one a week now.

must ... resist ... temptation ......

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Ouch, 52 in one year is a ghuge goal. You can do it!

As for me, with school and work I am going to cut down on my personal reading, but I have one big goal for the year and that is to re read the entire Wheel of Time series now that it is finished (book 13 came out a few months ago). I have been reading these books since 2000 and finally the journey is over. I stopped at book 9 because I wanted to read the whole series after it was done. So yeah. Lots to read.

Also want to read K-Starr's book when it comes out in March.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Does anyone have any specific reading goals for 2013?

Personally I plan on reading 52 books, one every week, and writing reviews on each of them. It might be difficult because I plan on reading a lot of classics that are longer than standard.

One of my roommates did something similar, except she did a book a day. Some days she opted for very short picture books to give her brain a break and there were one or two books that she had to stop because she didn't have the time to get through all of it AND do a review, but most of the books were of standard length. (She also read other things while doing this -- the review books all had to be things she hadn't read before and sometimes she wanted old familiar comfort reading.) She's hoping to publish a book about the experience and is at the stage where she has to cut the reviews down to fit in a standard size book. (She has at least three times the material needed and that's just reviews and not any extra commentary.)

So one a week sounds very reasonable to me, though it does depend on how fast you read. :)

As for me, with school and work I am going to cut down on my personal reading, but I have one big goal for the year and that is to re read the entire Wheel of Time series now that it is finished (book 13 came out a few months ago). I have been reading these books since 2000 and finally the journey is over. I stopped at book 9 because I wanted to read the whole series after it was done. So yeah. Lots to read.

so that's right over one a month. you can totally do that, BigM.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

I'm also shooting for 2 per month. I tried to do one every week this year, and accomplished only about half, and that included the books I have to read for grad school. So 2 a month of only personal/fun selections.

That's in the list for me (the whole series actually). Very glad to hear it's good.

Yeah I loved Pillars of the earth... never read at worlds end though. I'm just over a third of the way into fall of kings and am riveted so far, there is so much happening and has not been a single boring second, which is fantastic. I hate when a big book dribbles on in the middle and then it's an effort to finish. It's only the second Follett book I've read.

Are you going to post your reviews somewhere, maybe on a blog or something? I'll be keen to read them.

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Does anyone have any specific reading goals for 2013? .

Well I blew right past my 2012 goal of 64 books read in 2012 because I was at 88 at the end of November! I now have a habit of reading for a short while just before bed which really powers through the books.

So my goal for 2013 is to knock off all the saved books in my kindle that I got but haven't read yet.

I am also going on a book diet. I cannot buy any more new fiction books until I finish reading all the fiction books currently in my kindle.

Reference books are the exception, if I find those and need them then they don't count against my book buying diet. ;-)

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I am also going on a book diet. I cannot buy any more new fiction books until I finish reading all the fiction books currently in my kindle.

Reference books are the exception, if I find those and need them then they don't count against my book buying diet. ;-)

I have never heard of someone going on a book buying diet, but as someone that loves reading, I can totally see a few reasons why one might go on one.

Have you got many yet to read?

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I decided just a few hours ago that I want to start reading The Economist regularly. I have a professor who heralds how surprisingly funny it is, since it's written by a bunch of British guys with super dry humor. Between that and seeing an internship listing mentioning it, I decided it's about time I start reading it. So, there it is. My 2013 reading goal: read as many issues of the Economist, cover-to-cover, as possible.

I decided just a few hours ago that I want to start reading The Economist regularly. I have a professor who heralds how surprisingly funny it is, since it's written by a bunch of British guys with super dry humor. Between that and seeing an internship listing mentioning it, I decided it's about time I start reading it. So, there it is. My 2013 reading goal: read as many issues of the Economist, cover-to-cover, as possible.

Nice one... it's a good mag eh. I tired to 'get into it' though a while back but just couldn't sustain it for long, prob because I'm not very financial minded. I do rather enjoy a good read of New Scientist mag though (despite my non-science background). Best of luck with your goal :)

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I have decided for 2013 NOT to have a number of books read as a goal, but rather I want to read the 12 book History of Middle-earth. I am re-reading The Hobbit right now because I am so pissed off at the movie adaptation of the book. I have always been fascinated by the detailed history that Tolkien created in creating Middle-earth. I have always wanted to read the Histories, but never had the time. It makes it easy being a 12 book series and there are 12 months of next year.

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Well, I am going to do one per month since there are 12 volumes and 12 months.

Atlab'Urlyren Druu'giir -- Apprentice of the Crimson RebelLevel 2 Drow Adventurer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 3 | CON 7 | DEX 3 | WIS 5 | STA 1 | CHA 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Introduction | Current Challenge@michaelramm

Archived