Forums are back in action! ×

Finally decided to start

So, a while back my friend posted a link to this site on facebook. I took a look at it, read a few articles, liked it, but never did anything. Lately my life has been getting more stressful (I'm a CNA at a nursing home, and a few people passing has pretty much broken my spirit lately) but I figure maybe if I improve other aspects of my life things might all balance out.

Right now my main priority is to improve myself. Right now my goals are to be better at money management, get more physically fit (I'm going to start with the body weight workout here) and improving my brain (Getting an account on Lumosity - Has anyone tried it? I'm wondering if it'll actually help in the long run)

Oh, also I'm a 20 year old male from Wisconsin. I'm concerned about my body due to the fact that I'm starting to get a bit of a gut, and my cholesterol is starting to get worse. I'm talking a few friends into doing the body weight workouts with me, just so I have some sense of obligation to it. I'm going to make a log here, and eventually get a plan of action set to get to the level of fitness I'd like to be at.

Also, I have trouble doing squats due to ankle problems. I'm not sure how to change it to make it possible for me to do it correctly though. I've had problems with my Achille's tendon and I can't keep my foot flat on the ground when I squat. Would that be making it less effective or is that ok?

Welcome!

I work in healthcare as well... Sometimes the job really can put your life in perspective. Just in reading your post I can see that you were affected by a loss and you are looking to gain some control... Well trust me, the best place to start is with yourself.

The rebellion can help you with all of your goals.

Money Management - shoot me a PM and I can help you... I am an accountant by trade and know some things about balancing the books... Also, there are others in the Rebellion that can give you good tips.

Physically Fit - Tons of articles and great people and stories here... write down some goals, start small, ask questions and never stop pushing yourself!

Brain - check out the reading club! tons of good people reading very interesting, albeit a little nerdy, books. Lots to learn from that group as well!

As far as your squat issue... Try putting a small 2.5 or 5 lbs weight under your heal... that will give you something to push off of and lift your heal off the ground to help your squats... If you are at home without weights, pick a small book and try that... It will help you get through the whole range of motion.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

Welcome to the rebellion and best of luck with all your goals. There are a lot of people here that are willing to help :)

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I also worked in healthcare and I completely understand. Sometimes it takes a toll and it's harder and harder to separate yourself from your patients.

Welcome to the rebellion and I second what everyone else has said!

For squats though, combining putting a thin book or weight under your foot and a exercise ball behind your back and against the wall to keep proper form may benefit you. Also, doing physical therapy-type exercises to strengthen your achilles would certainly benefit you (most of them are actually stretches, others are just taking an exercise band as tension and pushing and pulling away from it with your foot). A quick google search will answer physical therapy questions but you do work in healthcare and there are always PTs on the floor to make their rounds with the patients--you can always ask one of them, in fact, ask a few :)

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

As far as your squat issue... Try putting a small 2.5 or 5 lbs weight under your heal... that will give you something to push off of and lift your heal off the ground to help your squats... If you are at home without weights, pick a small book and try that... It will help you get through the whole range of motion.

I have ankle issues myself. I have had multiple surgeries on both ankles. I used to use 25lb plates under my heals. It allowed me to get in to a good deep squat position without pain. Having said that, it was a band-aid on a much bigger problem. It was not until I consulted my PT that was able to do target therapy on my ankles and get them where they needed to be. It was a lot of stretching, balance board/ball and acupuncture. Acupuncture has worked wonders for me. I was fortunate enough to have my PT show me how to do it myself. I then purchased an electronic stim box and a few thousand acupuncture needles. I rehab my knees and ankles with it once a week for 15-20 minutes - awesome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Ranger

Level 1

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | INT: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

"Audaces Fortuna Juvat"

Welcome to the Rebellion! Good luck on you quest. Don't sweat the ankle thing - do what you can without hurting yourself.

Ion Aurum 0th Level Viking Monk

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

"Prepare for victory! Our minds have been awakened. Rid your life of tyranny. We are The Resistance." - Iced Earth's V

Archived