Forums are back in action! ×

War's Intro

Hello everyone, my name is Warfighter, or just War. I recently discovered Nerd Fitness & The Rebellion. I have been wanting to keep a public log of my training for some time now, I just have not found the right place to host it. It came down to T-Nation, Bodybuilding.com, a personal training blog, or Nerd Fitness. I was sitting there thinking to myself, hrmm I could totally do a geeky gamer fitness blog - BAM! Google turned up NF! What a great site you have here! So, here I am - I plan to have a positive influence on this community, and who knows, I may be able to help someone along the way.

My Bio: I am 35, very happily married, and we have two amazing kids. I have been in the military for the last 16 years and love it. We recently moved overseas, and we've just started getting settled in to our apartment. On to the inner nerd, I have played D&D since I was 14. I am a Game Master/Dungeon Master for a small D&D/Pathfinder group. I've also been an avid online gamer since 1998. If it is an MMORPG/MMO I have played it! I am currently enthralled in Guild Wars 2, and fighting not to play it 24/7. Thankfully my wife does not give me too much grief over it. I love you honey :fat:

My Fitness: I will be honest and say that it comes and goes. Three years ago I was probably in the best shape of my life when I fell about 25' from a rope bridge that broke. I re-injured a previous knee injury and ended up having two surgeries to repair it - totalling FOUR orthopedic surgeries on my left knee since 2001 alone. I have also had reconstructive surgery on both ankles. Needless to say, my "getaway sticks" are not in their prime. In high school I played football, wrestled and ran track. I was an overt jock, covertly hiding a nerd on the inside. Sports kept me out of trouble, and really helped me develop the "team first" ethic I carry with me today. In what I consider my prime, I was competing in sprint to half-ironman distance triathlons. I was also reasonably strong for my size. As much as I love triathlons, I have not competed in one since my fall three years ago.

I would say that I am familiar with nearly all disciplines of bodybuilding, powerlifting and endurance training. I have been to a couple of running, triathlon, and strength camps, and been a PT trainer in the military. I recently had the pleasure of rewriting the PT program for a five month long military training course. I am no expert by any means, but I do have some experience in fitness. If you guys ever have any questions or just want to sit down and chat over any areas you need help with, I am a very approachable guy. Please hit me up.

Moving our family overseas took a lot of wind out of my sails, and I am now getting back to what I would consider average shape for myself. Now that the holidays are coming to a close, I feel the urge to break away from these chains and get back to my former self. I am going to use the Battle Log section forums to track my training. Please feel free to stop by and say hello!

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Ranger

Level 1

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | INT: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

"Audaces Fortuna Juvat"

Great to meet you! I'm new here and starting the get back in shape journey. I was Army for 6 years and met my husband whom is a Marine! Semper Fi! He retired 5 years ago and we have slowly gained weight. It's time to pull our heads out of our rears and get back to a healthy lifestyle! Any pointers you may have would be awesome! Thank you for serving our country!

Warfighter:

Welcome... I recently joined these boards myself. You made a good choice here , good friendly, helpful people.. Posting daily logs has already saved me 1 day that would have been a zero if it were private

I know I'll be asking you shorty about some body weight workouts styled after what the army is doing now, along with some questions on obstacles for a course

@NurseBrandy - I think we just had sympathetic postings lol. Thanks, and you are welcome. As I mentioned in your thread, you are on the right track with Paleo. I will add that even though everyone screams Paleo, and yes it works, it can be a hard switch for someone who has never been on a strict diet before (Not sure if you have or not). It is very popular right now in the triathlon/endurance realm, but again those types of athletes are already functioning at the peak of human fitness, and used to training/diet extremes. It is not hard for them to "Go Paleo" so to speak. I would say just keep everything in perspective. You have already identified the problem and analyzed it. Now you are developing the solution. You are undertaking a life changing event. You are changing the way that you eat and fuel your body. Have patience with it, and allow yourself to go "1/2 Paleo" sometimes if you have to - it's ok. :friendly_wink:

@Old Fart - Thanks for the welcome! I agree, the community here is very friendly and supportive. I would be happy to give you some advice on body weight stuff. My last PT test I scored a 355 on it, but that was months ago. As far as the obstacle course goes, I used to work at the USAJFKSWCS (Google it, the acronym is too hard to type!), and also at another unit on Ft. Bragg that had a pretty hairy O-Course. I can recall both of those courses from memory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Ranger

Level 1

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | INT: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

"Audaces Fortuna Juvat"

Archived