Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone heard of 30/30?

guest439437484421

I'm reading through the meta part of The 4 hour chef. in a very brief part Tim mentions telling his dad to eat 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up to help lose weight.

Has anyone else heard of this? Has anyone else done this?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I've heard of it, from videos of Ferris though. He claims that it helped his father as well. I've never done it consistently enough to know, but it sounds like a good idea to me. 

Level 0 Warrior
STR: 0.0 | DEX: 0.0 | CON: 0.0 | STA: 0.0 | WIS: 0.0 | CHA: 0.0

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." - Marcus Aurelius
[Twitter] [Google+]

I'm currently planning on trying it next challenge to compare to my diet I'm doing this time to see whether it helps or not, been wondering for awhile.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm currently planning on trying it next challenge to compare to my diet I'm doing this time to see whether it helps or not, been wondering for awhile.

cool.  keep us in the know!

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I was just thinking about this today, I need to start doing this again.

I did a few months last year of eating 50g of protein within 30 minutes of waking.  It was part of an overall plan that basically broke down like this: 

* 3 meals per day (I was aiming for 2600-2800kcal/day, meals broken roughly into thirds)

* 50g protein within 30 minutes of waking as part of breakfast (usually 6-630am) 

* meals approx 5 hours apart (lunch 1pm, dinner 6pm)

* NO SNACKING (tea, water allowed but no other beverages outside of meal times)

* Foods were essentially paleo plus cottage cheese 

For *me* the goal was to minimize insulin/adrenal issues by "resetting" hormone function and correcting unwanted weight loss.  I know that is the opposite of what you're asking, but my doc and I put this together on kind of a hunch-- she said that for my particular medical issues there is very little difference between where I was metabolically as someone who has been very overweight and unable to lose with exercise and calorie restriction-- on both ends of the spectrum people don't have normal hunger patterns and the whole hormone cascade that happens with hunger and digestion is completely off, causing most people to hang on to extra mass.  

At the time I was not yet lifting weights, but I was told to wait on anything more than moderate walking/mobility for at least 8 weeks-- this was to minimize any stress to hormone function, the goal was to keep all hormones as evenly regulated as possible (no sudden spikes/swings) throughout the day until I was normalized.  

It worked unbelievably well to regulate hunger and my overall health, especially eating right away in the morning.  I definitely noticed a huge difference in body composition-- even though I'd lost a lot of weight, I had mostly lost muscle mass. I still had a poochy belly/lower back bagginess (but noodle limbs).  Because I was underweight, changes were noticeable pretty quickly.  I realized talking to a friend today that since I've gone back to eating whenever my little gut/back fluff is back.  

She didn't have a name for this, she's an internal med doc and puts together plans based on each patient, but the closest thing I found when looking up recipes for elimination diets (and realizing it was basically paleo) is the Leptin Reset.  I'd throw up links, but the websites and info on the leptin reset that I found are massive and tedious to slog through, and not necessarily backed by studies etc, but I was sick enough initially that I had lots of downtime to explore :)

I don't know if any of this is what you're interested in, but that's my experience, anyway :D

I'm going to try this, but I'm having trouble getting moving quickly enough to make a batch of eggs in 30 minutes. I'm so sloooooooow when I'm sleepy. I may have to just have rolls of ham or turkey in the morning, but I love my hot breakfasts. Besides, it takes like 5 large eggs at 6g protein each to make 30 grams of protein, and that's a lot of eggs.

Besides, it takes like 5 large eggs at 6g protein each to make 30 grams of protein, and that's a lot of eggs.

So, do ham and eggs or make an omelette. A 12oz glass of milk and 3 eggs is 30g. You don't have to have all of your breakfast-time protein come from eggs.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Eggs can be a pain in the morning, especially if you do the clean up right away. You can also do premade chicken or breakfast meats to cut down morning prep time. Like others suggested, whey or a protein shake could also help as well. Know that if you're a bigger guy like myself, you may need more. I'll be starting at 40g myself when I eventually try it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived